Just registered to the site because after reading through the guide, my questions just were not clearly answered. So here is a list of my current questions. May add to these along the way.
I will be basing my questions off of the Protection Guide that is stickied on these forums (Tried to post link, wouldn't let me due to being a new user)
Shield Block vs. Shield Barrier.
- Why would anyone use Shield Block, when Shield Barrier absorbs all damage. I'm going to attempt to answer my own question. Is it because Shield Barrier will be knocked off in one to two swings from a boss, while Shield Block will block partial damage for a full 6 seconds? This makes the most sense to me I assume, even though you could use Shield Barrier even as low as 20 rage, when you have to wait until 60 rage for Shield Block.
Sword n' Board
- From reading the guide, the writer writes for the "SINGLE TARGET" (Sword n Board (Shield Slam) -> Shield Slam -> Revenge -> Shout -> etc...) It is my understanding that you cannot get Sword n Board unless you "proc" it off Devistate, so is he telling me to charge in, Devistate until I get Sword n' Board, and than hit Shield Slam? That doesn't make any sense to me, or am I completely missing another way to get Sword n' Board.
- The writer of the guide says to not gem straight stamina, but instead to gem mastery, and if you have to get the set-bonus, go Mastery + Stamina. Did something get completely changed? Is that really how you gem now? Stack Mastery, and don't touch pure stamina? Would really like clarification on this.
Hit / Expertise
- Again, the writer says you need to get to 7.5% hit / expertise. Fine, I understand this, but than he goes on to say that you should even go as far as gemming and reforging for hit / expertise to get the 7.5%. Is this actually true? Should I sacrifice Stam, Mastery, Parry, etc. for Hit / Expertise?
- The writer says to grab "Glyph of Unending Rage" to increase the cap from 100 to 120. I understand why someone may do this, but for me, whenever I'm hitting 60 rage, I'm either popping Shield Block, or Shield Barrier. I actually never let me rage go over 60. Am I doing something wrong? I grabbed the Spell Reflection glyph to lower the cool down by 5 seconds. He also says to grab "Glyph of Bull Rush". Basically my three glyphs are Spell Reflection, Shield Block, and Revenge.
- Writer says to grab Avatar, and that's honestly what I see most going, but I grabbed Storm Bolt. It's 400% weapon damage (currently hitting for 40k non-crit, 70-80k Crit, every 30 seconds (using on cool down) - to me (I haven't done the math), that is more damage than Avatar, so that would really make Avatar's main use to break immobilization, etc.
Anyway, my class is about to end, so I need to shut down my computer. I'll check back, and may add stuff to this later.