View Poll Results: Should circumcision be the person's own choice?

Voters
825. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

657 79.64%
  • No

168 20.36%
Page 53 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    If you had read the article you wouldn't have to ask.
    "The AAP's previous policy statement, published in 1999 and affirmed in 2005, took a more neutral stance on circumcision, noting "potential medical benefits," but saying it's "not essential to the child's current well-being."
    "not essential to the child's current well-being."

Quote Originally Posted by AlbanianMexican View Post
    These threads are always the same Americans trying to defend their genital mutilation and the rest of the world sayings it wrong.
    Not all of us Americans are pro routine infant circumcision.

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Don't you speak for me. I am glad I'm circumcised. you're missing the entire point. Doing it LATER IN LIFE WILL MAKE YOU LESS SENSITIVE!! But doing it as a baby your nerves are essentially the same age as your body and you will still be sensitive later in life, so waiting until your child can choose for themself... it's too late. And if they need it medically, sorry, out of luck.
    Do you have any support for this position, because it makes no sense whatsoever. The body protects what's exposed, it's patently obvious that a mucous membrane (which is what the glans is) that's been rubbed on cotton for thirty years will be less sensitive than one that's been an internal organ as originally 'intended', by evolution or The Creator. I do think it's worth mentioning, since you appear to be a believer, that the Apostle Paul specifically tells the church "But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be." (1Cor12) and explicitly links circumcision with the bondage of the law, and says that "If you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing." (Gal5). I don't see the asterisk saying "unless doctors say it's a good thing for reducing the chance of infections".

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    Circumcision was originally practiced by the Isralites for health reasons (keeping clean wasnt so easy in the desert tbh) and also to stand apart from the nations around them.

Well, the Egyptians were doing it first. It was a rite. A blood sacrifice of that most precious to the power(s) the ancients believed they owed everything.

To keep sand out of their privates... BS!

And if may put on my tinfoil hat for a moment, to tell the child from the earliest age that the world was a violent place and he was not in control. Look at the countries that still practice it.
    Last edited by Mnevis; 2012-12-06 at 09:06 PM.

A persons own choice is very misleading seeing as how the choice would be made at birth by an infant. To each is own, i dont wanna see what you decided anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Don't you speak for me. I am glad I'm circumcised. you're missing the entire point. Doing it LATER IN LIFE WILL MAKE YOU LESS SENSITIVE!! But doing it as a baby your nerves are essentially the same age as your body and you will still be sensitive later in life, so waiting until your child can choose for themself... it's too late. And if they need it medically, sorry, out of luck.
    Doing it at any time will make you less sensitive . It is the permanent loss of an erogenous zone, and the permanent loss of a ludicrous amount of nerves. On top of that, the skin thickens where it is no longer protected.

It's so ludicrous because we have to constantly deal with ego. "If I accepted this true fact, it would mean that my parents mutilated me, reducing my sexual feeling, for no reason. It would mean that I did the same to my boy, also for no reason at all. This would make me and my parents stupid or evil. We aren't evil, and I don't want to be stupid, therefore I reject this true fact."

This is every pro-mutilation argument ever

And look at how absurd all the arguments are when you apply them to anything else. Just look at the double standard. People with no basis of comparison. There's precious few men who chose to get circumcised- probably on the same order as nullification fetishists- yet still people try to defend the indefensible.

If you had read the article you wouldn't have to ask.

I know it's a big thing to ask you to read something and find an answer for yourself but we have to break that spoon-fed sense of knowledge of yours.
    Maybe you should start reading as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    You forgot
    noting "potential medical benefits,
    Yeah again read and comprehend what that means. Since you cut out the important part and I know you are clueless to that being the old train of thought which is why they changed their minds to the new thought that is the title of the article. I know you only like to catch what little information you can to support your fatuous claims but please try for once.

theres no evidence supporting either view. so my question is this, who are you to tell somebody else how to raise their kids? funny thing is i bet you would freak if somebody told you your kids were messed up and its your fault. whether you like it or not my kids are and will be circumcised and there is nothing you can do about it.

Maybe you should start reading as well?

please pull your head out of your anal cavity for a minute and realize that was what they thought 10 years ago, and have now disproved. You got it yet? Should I wait a few minutes and say the exact same thing realizing you will not ever admit to understand what is being said?

please pull your head out of your anal cavity for a minute and realize that was what they thought 10 years ago, and have now disproved. You got it yet? Should I wait a few minutes and say the exact same thing realizing you will not ever admit to understand what is being said?
    You fail to prove a point, I asked you why they performed the operation 10 years ago.

And if you want to act like a rude little brat, I can do that as well. I guess it's too much to expect a polite conversation...
    Last edited by Purlina; 2012-12-06 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhole View Post
    theres no evidence supporting either view. so my question is this, who are you to tell somebody else how to raise their kids? funny thing is i bet you would freak if somebody told you your kids were messed up and its your fault. whether you like it or not my kids are and will be circumcised and there is nothing you can do about it.
    And I just posted new research on the previous page saying how it also lowers the risk for numerous STD's and such. Here it is yet again
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/27/health...ion/index.html

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 04:13 PM ----------

You fail to prove a point, I asked you why they performed the operations 10 years ago.
    Here is the spelled out version for you since you still haven't read the article you just want to continue spewing garbage. You question is redundant people did it for numerous reasons that have already been mentioned and re-mentioned over and over. Do you really need an explanation for why people did things differently yesterday compared to today? No, who really cares? They did it for whatever personal reasons get over it please.
    Circumcision is the surgical removal of the foreskin, a small flap of skin that covers the tip of the penis, generally performed in the days after birth. Many Jews and Muslims circumcise their sons because of their religious beliefs. Other parents choose to snip for hygiene reasons, believing it's easier to keep a circumcised penis clean, or cosmetic ones, wanting junior to "look like dad."
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2012-12-06 at 09:16 PM.

And I just posted new research on the previous page saying how it also lowers the risk for numerous STD's and such. Here it is yet again
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/27/health...ion/index.html

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 04:13 PM ----------

here is the spelled out version for you since you still haven't read the article you just want to continue spewing garbage
    LOL your a real class act. Instead of making a total ass out of yourself and trying to insult everyone, all you needed to say was:

1. Religion
    2. Cosmetic
    3. Hygeine

/yawn
    Last edited by Purlina; 2012-12-06 at 09:19 PM.

LOL your a real class act. Instead of making a total ass out of yourself, all you needed to say was:

1. Religion
    2. Cosmetic
    3. Hygeine

/yawn
    Right you finally read it and I'm the ass? I don't understand why I had to do all the work for you once again I mean really if you had read it almost 2 pages ago instead of asking meaningless questions as you love to do, you wouldn't have looked as foolish. And trust me I might seem like an ass because I dislike how ignorant you act but I'm ok with that. I still have PM's in my box from the last time I made you look ridiculous.

Right you finally read it and I'm the ass? I don't understand why I had to do all the work for you once again I mean really if you had read it almost 2 pages ago instead of asking meaningless questions as you love to do, you wouldn't have looked as foolish. And trust me I might seem like an ass because I dislike how ignorant you act but I'm ok with that. I still have PM's in my box from the last time I made you look ridiculous.
    Are you done trying to be the internet tough guy yet?

If not, please wake me up when your done.

While I can understand the point I like and would prefer being circumcised and I'm glad it was done when I can't remember it. I wouldn't have wanted to have it done when I was old enough to make that decision.

I'm willing to bet though that a lot of people who say that it shouldn't be done, that it should be the child's choice, are ok with having their child immunized (above and beyond the major immunizations like Mumps, Smallpox ect.). I don't see a difference.

About the discussion who did circumcision first - I don't know who was first, but I know that Semite cultures in general (includes ancient Egyptians, Jews, Muslims, Christians...), as well as the cultures around Australia (New Guinea, Oceania, ...) have done it too for thousands of years.

Are you done trying to be the internet tough guy yet?

If not, please wake me up when your done.
    It has nothing to do with being tough, you do this all the time and when evidence is given rather than take 3 minutes to read what I found to be an interesting article you continue to ask meaningless questions as if they are important to the discussion. I know you probably think you are clever but you aren't and it gets old I don't like making a point this way. I like to give my input, have it reviewed by others who in turn add their input. I don't think it's too much to ask do you?

It has nothing to do with being tough, you do this all the time and when evidence is given rather than take 3 minutes to read what I found to be an interesting article you continue to ask meaningless questions as if they are important to the discussion. I know you probably think you are clever but you aren't and it gets old I don't like making a point this way. I like to give my input, have it reviewed by others who in turn add their input. I don't think it's too much to ask do you?
    That is still no excuse to act superior when someone doesn't instantly agree with you, or asks a question. When someone asks me a question I don't start going off on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    While I can understand the point I like and would prefer being circumcised and I'm glad it was done when I can't remember it. I wouldn't have wanted to have it done when I was old enough to make that decision.

I'm willing to bet though that a lot of people who say that it shouldn't be done, that it should be the child's choice, are ok with having their child immunized (above and beyond the major immunizations like Mumps, Smallpox ect.). I don't see a difference.
    The thing is to me the people who want the kid to decide for themselves are opting for this because it removes responsibility from themselves in making the choice. They can't make an educated decision on their own and would rather say hey I made the hard choice to allow you to eventually decide for yourself to get circumcised.

And I just posted new research on the previous page saying how it also lowers the risk for numerous STD's and such.
    Not saying that there isn't such research, but you didn't post it. You posted an article about American doctors saying circumcision was ok and states shouldn't stop funding it. Shocking, American doctors have been saying circumcision is a good thing for 150 years. It's disappointing to those who think it should go away, but it's not evidence that they're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    About the discussion who did circumcision first - I don't know who was first, but I know that Semite cultures in general (includes ancient Egyptians, Jews, Muslims, Christians...), as well as the cultures around Australia (New Guinea, Oceania, ...) have done it too for thousands of years.
    Lots of cultures did lots of things. I could list a few that we've grown out of but I'm sure someone would be all 'how can you compare that to infant circumcision, that's outraaaaaageous.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post
    Lots of cultures did lots of things. I could list a few that we've grown out of but I'm sure someone would be all 'how can you compare that to infant circumcision, that's outraaaaaageous.'
    It wasn't a pro-infant-circumcision argument, just sorting out facts.