Poll: Fraps or Bandicam?

Thumbs up Fraps or Bandicam for WoW recording...

Hey guys,
    In a previous post I showed a video of the Brawlers guild, and one of the comments was to use Fraps over Bandicam, when I asked why I didnt get a response. I was just curious is there any significant reason to use Fraps over Bandicam?
    I use Bandicam at the moment because it can dual record the PC noise aswell as Microphone.
    I dont know if I can link my youtube channel to show those who havent seen any Bandicam recordings but its ImmortalityDreadmaul, all the videos were recorded by Bandicam. Sorry if thats breaking the rules :/ I just didnt know how else to show Bandicam recordings
    Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Twigleg; 2012-12-04 at 10:23 PM.

Deleted
    If quality really isn't your concern, then Bandicam is ok.
    ¨

Also, Fraps is capable of recording microphone, even with push-to-talk.

Bandicam compresses video when it records, so it's "lighter" on disk writes, and file sizes are smaller.
    Fraps records lossy-uncompressed (or lossless if set to Lossless RGB), so filesizes are MUCH bigger, we're talking 20gb for 5 minutes of raw WoW video.
    So Fraps gives you more work to do, larger files and heavier load. It does require an ok computer, but you get a pure video file that hasn't been tampered with.

Bandicam is considered the "amateur" alternative to Fraps, basically.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Fraps for uncompressed video recording but the down side is AVI files can be huge.

My favorite is ZDSoft Screen Recorder, as it can do on-the-fly hardware compression in many formats, and also records outside games (Camastia without the pricetag). So no need to reformat in an video editor.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    I use Fraps for uncompressed video recording but the down side is AVI files can be huge.

My favorite is ZDSoft Screen Recorder, as it can do on-the-fly hardware compression in many formats, and also records outside games (Camastia without the pricetag). So no need to reformat in an video editor.
    fraps files are huge but theres a tickbox to break itup every 4GB so you dont have like a 200gb film :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by warcraftmew View Post
    fraps files are huge but theres a tickbox to break itup every 4GB so you dont have like a 200gb film :P
    I was referring to AVI file format is huge in itself (more so at HD resolution).

Huge files also need to be compressed, which is an extra step. I found it much faster all around using hardware compression, especially if it's some quick YouTube video. More complex videos with multiple tracks and edits, the uncompressed video isn't much of a factor as it's cropped in useable pieces.

So OP the choice is more of how much time do you have to edit.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalityDreadmaul View Post
    Hey guys,
    In a previous post I showed a video of the Brawlers guild, and one of the comments was to use Fraps over Bandicam, when I asked why I didnt get a response. I was just curious is there any significant reason to use Fraps over Bandicam?
    I use Bandicam at the moment because it can dual record the PC noise aswell as Microphone.
    I dont know if I can link my youtube channel to show those who havent seen any Bandicam recordings but its ImmortalityDreadmaul, all the videos were recorded by Bandicam. Sorry if thats breaking the rules :/ I just didnt know how else to show Bandicam recordings
    Thanks guys.
    MSI Afterburner.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by warcraftmew View Post
    wait a second, theres an option to make it one huge file? For years I've been using VirtualDub to append them to each other.

Deleted
    An SSD REALLY helps for Fraps.

Thanks for all the info guys =D
    I think I will stick with Bandicam for the moment, as my computer is the most flashy thing ever, I might update to Fraps when I update the computer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flawless101 View Post
    wait a second, theres an option to make it one huge file? For years I've been using VirtualDub to append them to each other.
    You can do it but there's risks in having a file that huge. It's better in segments to ensure the file doesn't get corrupted (or have problems with audio syncing...larger the file more likely that to happen).

10+ Year Old Account
    Fraps, Bandicam is poor. Depends on what quality you want though, with Fraps if you want to record full size you'll need a decent PC with a high write drive (preferably separate to what you have OS and games/programs on). The file sizes are huge on their own but that's why you need an editing program like Sony Vegas to render it into different file types and compress the size down. If you have a fast upload speed you can get perfect quality since file size won't be an issue for you.

Deleted
    From the ones I've tried and set up and used, this is my order of preference: Dxtory > PlayClaw > MSI Afterburner > FRAPS

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Bandicam - works really well. Simple too.