Tank switches as BrM

Quick question...

Do you guard while not tanking between switches? You don't have vengeance then so it's going to be a lot weaker. Would it be better to save it for when it's stronger?

When you're not tanking, just try to stack shuffle as high as you can, so you can use the chi when tanking for other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Caeth View Post
    Quick question...

Do you guard while not tanking between switches? You don't have vengeance then so it's going to be a lot weaker. Would it be better to save it for when it's stronger?
    Generally no, but if there is some big AOE damage I might.
    Barleyclaw - Axis - Dark Iron US

Generally used to stack Shuffle and Chi wave where needed.

Deleted
    Guard if you know you will be tanking in <30 seconds and you still have high vengeance count

don't guard if it goes off cd and you have no vengeance

Get a vengeance addon if you don't have

Obviously the best would be if you could use guard with high vengeance + it going off cd just as you start tanking again - This won't be possible most of the time obviously so it depends on the encounters. Say Lei-shi, I would never use guard as the offtank unless I know 100% that it will be off cd when I start tanking because the first few hits don't really matter in the long run

When I'm not tanking i usually go Tiger Stance and spam Jab/Zen Sphere to help out the healers. When i started doing that last week the healers didn't know why things were getting easier to heal till I told them what i was doing... Our Holy Paladin went nuts! He said that it helped quite a bit. Numbers wise, I've seen crit-heals from Zen Sphere over 150k with a small amount of vengence and, on average, 30k-40k normal and 70k, or so, crit-heals with no vengence. With a large amount of vengence, I've had 200k crit-heals and 100k normal heals!

In fights like Bladelord, on unseen strikes, it's a very easy way to cap people off, or recoup after the strike!
    Last edited by Elhorn the Doomchicken; 2012-12-05 at 07:10 AM.
    Monk: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...feroz/advanced
    Druid: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lhorn/advanced
    When going from a druid to a monk... You have to remember what a mount is... and how to use them...
    And, when going back to a Druid from a monk, you relish in the awesomeness that is Swift Flight Form!

U mean Zen Sphere right? Or Chi Burst/Wave?
    13/13

Monk

Quote Originally Posted by siccora View Post
    U mean Zen Sphere right? Or Chi Burst/Wave?
    Yup, thanks, fixed via edit
    Monk: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...feroz/advanced
    Druid: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lhorn/advanced
    When going from a druid to a monk... You have to remember what a mount is... and how to use them...
    And, when going back to a Druid from a monk, you relish in the awesomeness that is Swift Flight Form!

15+ Year Old Account
    You should be careful with that - you lose all your Shuffle and are unable to stack it while you're in Tiger. Pretty sure you lose all your Vengeance too.

Unless your healers are really, really struggling (in which case they generally need to step up their game a bit or people are standing in things they shouldn't be), I'd generally stick with using the offtanking time for building up stupidly large amounts of Stagger in preparation for the next switch. Tank switches are generally the most dangerous time, as the healers need to suddenly shift their pumping of single-target green from one guy to another, and it's usually preceded by a large damage spike or a stacking debuff. Being able to switch with a long Shuffle buff rolling means you take over with all your defences up solidly AND you can Purify every single hit you take for a decent time, greatly reducing the spikiness of transitions.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

When I am not actively tanking, I aim to stack my shuffle as high as I can. Because you're not taking much damage, you can safely ignore guard and purifying brew and stuff it all into shuffle.

I would highly suggest not going into DPS stance, as you lose all your tanking goodies, and stacking shuffle is hard enough when you're trying to heal, keep guard up and purifying brew at the same time.

I don't believe you can get EB stacks either in Tiger Stance. In fact you lose so much as BrM in tiger stance, I don't even know why they have it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You also can't use Keg Smash which hurts your Chi generation specifically for one of the reason states (more Zen Spheres). Stay in Ox Stance, build up shuffle, only use Guard if needed for mechanics and use the extra Chi on your choose of L30 talents (I prefer Chi Wave targeted on myself). If that isn't enough either your raid is taking more damage than it should or healers need to step it up.

If you want to help out the healers while off-tanking use Divert Harm and heal yourself with L30/Expel Harm. Coming back in as the MT with no Shuffle or EB stacks is a disservice to the group.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealNight View Post
    You also can't use Keg Smash which hurts your Chi generation specifically for one of the reason states (more Zen Spheres).
    That's not true. As a Brewmaster every Jab gives 2 chi when you're in Tiger Stance, which means Tiger Stance allows for more Zen Spheres. However, I do agree that you should stay in Ox Stance to build up shuffle specifically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedi View Post
    That's not true. As a Brewmaster every Jab gives 2 chi when you're in Tiger Stance, which means Tiger Stance allows for more Zen Spheres.
    True, forgot about that as I never DPS (or use TS as a BrM). Still locks you out from your hardest hitting attack which just prolongs the fight requiring more total healing anyways.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Quote Originally Posted by irreama View Post
    When I am not actively tanking, I aim to stack my shuffle as high as I can. Because you're not taking much damage, you can safely ignore guard and purifying brew and stuff it all into shuffle.

I would highly suggest not going into DPS stance, as you lose all your tanking goodies, and stacking shuffle is hard enough when you're trying to heal, keep guard up and purifying brew at the same time.
    I'm having dramas pulling threat from our other tank, especially on fights like bladelord where you get a fair wack of vengeace quickly. How are people managing that? is it best just to shed the vengeance stacks by right clicking the buff or wait for it to drop?

Just stop attacking for a few seconds while their vengeance kicks in. Once they're into a proper rotation, you should be able to resume attacking properly again.

Quote Originally Posted by noxarc View Post
    I'm having dramas pulling threat from our other tank, especially on fights like bladelord where you get a fair wack of vengeace quickly. How are people managing that? is it best just to shed the vengeance stacks by right clicking the buff or wait for it to drop?
    /dance
    after 10 sec fist'em all
    13/13

Monk

The few times I get to tank I just call for a Salvation and continue with normal rotation.

10+ Year Old Account
    About the only tank I don't have major threat issues with are DK's currently. Sadly you just have to stop hitting buttons for a few seconds and maybe DL Omen or something to keep an eye on it. As mentioned after a few seconds allowing vengeance to stack back on the other tank you should be OK.
    [/URL]