Add Wowhead link next to Wowdb links

I dislike using Wowdb, the site feels poorly implemented and lacks consumer related content (such as detailed comments and information)

I understand that Zam is a rival company to Curse, but I always find myself clicking into Wowdb and immediately clicking the Wowhead link.

Is it possible to add a Wowhead link next to any Wowdb links in news posts (a Wowhead icon for instance) to be able to skip Wowdb?
    "This is my story,
    It'll go the way I want,
    Or I'll end it here!" - Tidus (FFX)

One way that Wowhead got populated with so much consumer related content was that people contributed. Contribute. Comment on items that you're familiar with and soon they'll be the same

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    One way that Wowhead got populated with so much consumer related content was that people contributed. Contribute. Comment on items that you're familiar with and soon they'll be the same
    I usually click through to see the Wowhead comments to get more info and read the comments about the object in question. After that, the only way I'd be able to contribute is copy+pasta the top comment, which is clearly wrong
    "This is my story,
    It'll go the way I want,
    Or I'll end it here!" - Tidus (FFX)

WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus4eva View Post
    I usually click through to see the Wowhead comments to get more info and read the comments about the object in question. After that, the only way I'd be able to contribute is copy+pasta the top comment, which is clearly wrong
    He didn't really mean the specific thing you were looking up at that moment, but rather that the way to make the site better is by contributing comments to it the same way one does with wowhead.

If you want to click through to wowhead when there are no comments on wowdb, that's fine and that's why the link is there. But if the link on the mainpage goes direct to wowhead, then no one is going to access wowdb start contributing and allow it to also be a viable database site.

Maybe you comment on some quest you know a trick on, but maybe someone else who comes there to read your quest tip will comment on another thing that helps someone else.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxSimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarma

You might want to take a look at this previous post of mine.
    Famous everywhere I go.
    Visit my website!

I actually like Wowhead's darker theme more. And it feels righter, tabs, criteria and everything.

It is a shame that they couldn't work together, instead of curse deciding to do it 'on their own'.

At worst, they should consider having/hiring someone to go through the wowhead comments, and slowly make their database better. Not copy pasting, but getting all the pertinent information and creating their own summary of all the help, info, and descriptions. It would be one massive undertaking, but one worth it, if they really want their database to mean something and have the community enjoy the switch.

Just as wow took the best from what was available and improved on it, curse could do the same for their database. Including building the site to be much more visually appealing and user friendly. Having a choice on how it looks would be a big bonus too (dark/light/etc themes) ... because I personally prefer dark look sites, much easier on the eyes.

I think they should consider making most of the curse client premium features free if you consistently upload data, and make the 'premium' the cost of removing ads and ability to have the theme you want even during major ad phases. If they want to not upload data/statistics, then they can have the current free client restrictions.

Reason? To make sure as many people as possible are using the curse client. The more that use it, the better the database becomes. The more accurate drop rates and drop-froms become.

Get an author to write an addon similar to LightHeaded, that links to quests and item data. This would be better done after the database was updated with helpful information. This might inspire people to add info to the quest and item database.

Advertise curse client on mmo-champ. Make sure updates to the client make headlines. Put link/flashy graphic up near the top in some of that free space that makes the client sound great and try to get more user saturation.

Make incentives/contests for minor giveaways for big contributors to wowdb, this could help populate the info related to quest and items faster (opposed to hiring 1-?? people to do it). Make sure to insist NO copying, but gathering info and putting it 'in your own words' would be acceptable. In this method, instead of actually posting on the database, the contests could be run for a small section at a time, reviewed, and the best, most concise, well written descriptions get put on the item/quest, and the small reward goes to the winner.

I think any form of user-submitted and user gathered information database is nothing but a good thing for the community of the game. Damn sure wish SWtOR had addons so accurate, up to date info could be gathered, proper drop rates and mob drop info, locations of rare items, mobs, etc. It is because of this, that wowhead took off, and torhead barely gets use, the quality and accuracy of information.

This is where wowdb, once you put the effort into making it visually appealing and informative, will end up surpassing wowhead by miles. The number of people using curse client I would believe by default, is a much higher saturation than the people using wowhead client; while also the number of people on private servers using curse client I'd assume to be near nil, vs wowhead, which has to be cleaned up occasionally because of it.

Just a few suggestions and opinions. I was happy to see wowdb integration into the curse client before I stopped playing, and I'd still like to see wow players having the best resources possible for them, and to me, that includes curse client and an excellent, detailed database with addon integration.

It is a shame that they couldn't work together, instead of curse deciding to do it 'on their own'.
    Nope, just full nope.

Wowdb was created to replace db.mmo-champion.com which was created because Wowhead refused to work with us years ago and we needed it to run MMO-Champion. There is absolutely no way for a company as big as Wowhead/Zam/Tencent Games to work with MMO-Champion in the first place because it would require us to have access to absolutely everything they have, which is a pretty good reason to refuse.

The first goal was to provide better content on MMO-Champion compared to what we had with db.mmo-champion.com and we achieved that goal pretty easily. It also brought some competition back to the market and improved things indirectly for everyone, including people who use Wowhead. Competition is always good.

WoWDB is mostly a "hey let's see what we can do with this" project with no real goal. It's a 100% money sink for the company and even if we added an ad slot somewhere it would still be a pretty huge money loss. The main goal is really just to support MMO-Champion's news and make our life easier on this side.

However, I'm glad that some people/other major sites adopted it because it lets me work with smart minds that provide us with a decent amount of feedback and let us improve our database platform altogether (contributing to the success of gw2db.com for example) but I'm not really on a crusade to destroy Wowhead, otherwise I wouldn't have them listed as the most obvious link on every page you click.

I have three questions for wowdb.com Boubouille:

1. Are there any plans to support an API for a wide array of things? Unlike wowhead which has only a decent api for items.
    2. Any plans for a 3d-previewer like wowhead?
    3. And i was wondering why not encourage people to post comments on wowdb.com by adding the amount of posts to their post count for the forums (I know this would be a lot of work but could be a nice way to get people to comment if the posts/comments etc where visible on profiles on mmo-c).

WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Quote Originally Posted by schippie View Post

1. Are there any plans to support an API for a wide array of things? Unlike wowhead which has only a decent api for items.
    2. Any plans for a 3d-previewer like wowhead?
    3. And i was wondering why not encourage people to post comments on wowdb.com by adding the amount of posts to their post count for the forums (I know this would be a lot of work but could be a nice way to get people to comment if the posts/comments etc where visible on profiles on mmo-c).
    Bibi or chaud will have to answer the first one.

Point two is, I think, an evidential yes, but I guess it just takes a lot of work so isn't something they can just drop in quickly. I would ask but it makes chaud stabby

Point three is just not possible; wowdb uses one's curse account (probably for several reasons, one of which is that it collects data using the curse client) which is totally separate than mmo-c forums account. As far as the site is concerned, they are two different, unlinked entities. I can't imagine what would be required to link them if it was even possible without something drastic like losing posting history here under a new, unified account.

I think wowdb has a reputation system coming like wowhead, so for people who enjoy that kind of point collecting "mini-game" there will be motivation there. Until then, those of us contributing are doing so because we want to help support the site. If there is a tangible rewards system someday, great, but I wouldn't count on it. (personally I like the light theme of wowdb more, so I wish it did have more people contributing so I could use it exclusively)
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxSimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarma

not good with computers
    Quote Originally Posted by schippie View Post

There is already a basic API in place for items and spells, with more work on it and entities being supported planned for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Point three is just not possible; wowdb uses one's curse account (probably for several reasons, one of which is that it collects data using the curse client) which is totally separate than mmo-c forums account. As far as the site is concerned, they are two different, unlinked entities. I can't imagine what would be required to link them if it was even possible without something drastic like losing posting history here under a new, unified account.

I think wowdb has a reputation system coming like wowhead, so for people who enjoy that kind of point collecting "mini-game" there will be motivation there. Until then, those of us contributing are doing so because we want to help support the site. If there is a tangible rewards system someday, great, but I wouldn't count on it. (personally I like the light theme of wowdb more, so I wish it did have more people contributing so I could use it exclusively)

Theoretically it should be possible to do but it would require i think to much that's why i said it would be a lot of work. Because it would also mean somehow tying the mmo-champion account to a curse account. Ah well it was a question would be nice but i would understand if it is to much work for to little result
    (still would be nice to have all the pictures/posts also show up on the profile for mmo-c though :P)

There is already a basic API in place for items and spells, with more work on it and entities being supported planned for the future.
    Mind sharing an example of this (how it looks/works and which data it provides) ?
    Last edited by schippie; 2012-12-05 at 09:13 PM.