Poll: Opinions?

Page 2 of 105 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Basically this. Anyone who argues otherwise is being (at the very least slightly) sexist towards one party or the other.
    Except the man doesn't have to carry and care for the baby while it's in her stomach, she does. It's one of those things that men have no right to be apart of the choice because it isn't happening to them, yes it's partially your baby but it's her body. I'm a guy, it sucks but hey ... maybe don't have sex with someone who doesn't want to have children and your problems are solved. If you have sex with someone and they choose to abort the baby maybe you should've thought/talked to them before having sex with them? Crazy I know lol. I know technically asking that before sex isn't the first thing that will pop into our minds but if it doesn't then your SOL. However asking to take full rights after the baby is born is fin if she says yes but she has the right to say no to carrying the baby for the 9 months and well there is nothing you can do about it.

Honestly the only thing a man should be aloud to do is the ability to "abort" his relationship with the child if he doesn't want to be apart of it. Like giving up all his rights the moment he learns about conception so he isn't forced to pay child support the way a woman can "abort" a child. It isn't fair if a woman says "oh hey i want this baby, child support nows" but if a woman doesn't want to have a baby she doesn't have to. That part doesn't make sense to me, if a woman is a loud to abort a man should also have some sort of way to "abort" his relationship as well, you can't have it 1 way in this situation.
    Last edited by Raone; 2012-12-05 at 01:44 AM.

Should he have a say? Yes.
    Is it still ultimately the decision of the Mother? Yes. Her body, her rules.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it should be the woman's choice, it's her's body after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    Arrogant? Hardly. Selfish? Not any more selfish then a woman having abortion without father's consent. Immoral? I'm not sure you know what that word means.
    Maybe 'humble' shouldn't have been used in that statement, but the statement still stands nonetheless.
    Forcing a woman to carry and deliver an unwanted child is arrogant, selfish, and immoral.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Personally, my thoughts on the matter are if you aren't prepared to have a child with the person, you should be taking any and all precautions to prevent it from being a possibility.

Knowing of guys who have messed this up and been left paying child support on children their "partners" chose to keep against the wishes of the other party, I feel if an accidental pregnancy occurs that the father should be able to opt out, so to speak. Chick can do what they like with the child, guy is left without responsibility for it. Perhaps some will feel I'm being harsh in saying so, but giving the woman the sole role in deciding whether or not to have a child which will impact on the lives of both parties is all kinds of bullshit.

So I say no, the father shouldn't have a say in whether or not the child is aborted, but they should be able to decide whether or not they want the child.

Arrogant? Hardly.
    Asserting something in the absence of being well informed about it is arrogant.

Selfish? Not any more selfish then a woman having abortion without father's consent.
    Not even fucking close. You don't have any right whatsoever to force a pregnancy on someone.

Immoral? I'm not sure you know what that word means.
    Oh, I surely do. Denying someone bodily autonomy is deeply immoral.

Maybe 'humble' shouldn't have been used in that statement, but the statement still stands nonetheless.
    Indeed, it stands as a monument of nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it should be up to the parents and the parents alone (referring to a "normal" child birth between a man/woman that had consensual sex). I'm personally for the right to abort, and can't see myself ever wanting a baby unless I was ready to care for it and give it a good life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Forcing a woman to carry and deliver an unwanted child is arrogant, selfish, and immoral.
    Aborting te child is selfish too. And well immoral don't know thats debatable, arrogant maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    Aborting te child is selfish too.
    No, it's not.

And well immoral don't know thats debatable
    No, it's not.

No. By Changing the rules to A: You have call the Father first or B: Get a Co Signer on the paper is completely not in the realm of what's going to happen. It's the females body. You cannot force her to have the child anymore then you can force her to not have the child. It's the woman's body once you start changing that to she needs permission from the Father.

Then she's just going to go somewhere else to get it. It's the woman's body and should not be in the hands of the father. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    This is how i see it, 4 options.

They both want to keep the child, no problems.
    They both dont want to keep it, no problems.

The woman wants to keep it and the man doesn't, she should be allowed to, and he should be allowed to sign over all rights/custody and never have to pay child support etc. as she has chosen this for herself.

The man wants to keep it and the woman doesn't, this is where i feel women get a little more say, as they can say they dont want their body to go through 9 months carrying and then delivering the baby. I think if she is willing, then the same thing should happen. Man gets the baby, woman can sign away all rights/custody and never have to pay child support.

As far as im concerned, it should be equal as possible. If a woman decided she wanted to keep a baby, and i didnt, and she chose to anyways, she needs accept it is her sole responsibility now. Same if it was the other way around. No one party should be able to force the others hand, just relinquish their own.
    I actually agree pretty much entirely with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raone View Post
    Except the man doesn't have to carry and care for the baby while it's in her stomach, she does. It's one of those things that men have no right to be apart of the choice because it isn't happening to them, yes it's partially your baby but it's her body. I'm a guy, it sucks but hey ... maybe don't have sex with someone who doesn't want to have children and your problems are solved. If you have sex with someone and they choose to abort the baby maybe you should've thought/talked to them before having sex with them? Crazy I know lol. I know technically asking that before sex isn't the first thing that will pop into our minds but if it doesn't then your SOL. However asking to take full rights after the baby is born is fin if she says yes but she has the right to say no to carrying the baby for the 9 months and well there is nothing you can do about it.

Honestly the only thing a man should be aloud to do is the ability to "abort" his relationship with the child if he doesn't want to be apart of it. Like giving up all his rights the moment he learns about conception so he isn't forced to pay child support the way a woman can "abort" a child. It isn't fair if a woman says "oh hey i want this baby, child support nows" but if a woman doesn't want to have a baby she doesn't have to. That part doesn't make sense to me, if a woman is a loud to abort a man should also have some sort of way to "abort" his relationship as well, you can't have it 1 way in this situation.
    And here we go...

You're right that the woman is the one who has to carry the child to term. But if she then goes and puts the father into a position where he has to financially support the child for 18 years, that 9 months starts to pale in comparison.

Point is... if you take either person's side (which kinda holds the assumption that neither party is being reasonable, and they're not of like minds), you're being sexist against the other. You can lawyer away at either side, and come up with several completely valid points; but all you're doing is justifying your sexism.

All of the posts in this thread highlight why this is such a stupid topic to discuss. The question is whether or not the father should have any say in the matter. It says nothing about either party forcing anything upon the other. Having a say in the matter could be as simple as the mother saying "well if you want it, then you're supporting me for the duration of pregnancy+maternity leave, and then I'm having nothing to do with the child" (you know, actually attempting to reach a reasonable compromise), or the father saying "since you want to keep it, and I don't, then you can support it after it's born" (again, attempting to reach a compromise).

I don't know what world most of you live in that "having a say in something" means "my way or the highway."
    Last edited by Torq; 2012-12-05 at 01:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aborting te child is selfish too. And well immoral don't know thats debatable, arrogant maybe.
    Nonsense. It's a responsible, safe choice when the pregnancy is unwanted.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    No, it's not.
    So when a woman got pregnant, And the guy says : Please don't abort it i will raise it by myself when it comes out.
    Her saying no because she doesen't want to is not selfish?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Nonsense. It's a responsible, safe choice when the pregnancy is unwanted.
    I guess opinions differ but i find that utter bullshit. I'm pregnant myself and no it isn't quite the joy ride. But i think it should be atleast taken in consideration instead of disgarding it like trash! the feelings of the guy that is.
    Last edited by mmoce3c3da46cf; 2012-12-05 at 01:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude speaking.

We're not the ones looking at 9 months of hormonal rollercoaster. We're not the ones who will actually feel the damn the damn thing leaving the body if a miscarriage occurs. We're not the ones risking incontinence the rest of our lives after birth. We're not the ones with limited opportunities to have children. And we are not the ones who have to give birth, a procedure that always carries a slight risk of death for the mother.

We can get a say the damn moment male pregnancy is a viable option. When that is available, we get to say 'no' to an abortion and then carry the damn thing ourselves.

I won't stay to discuss, because I know from experience that this is a subject I easily become infractable on.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

From an ethical standpoint, I'm against abortion in general for the same reason I'm against killing anyone who's a burden on the system--- violent criminals, rapists, etc-- because you can't just kill people to solve problems. I view a human fetus as more of a person than just about anyone in prison.

From a practical standpoint-- abortions are going to be legal. Dad and Mom should both be able to decide if they want to be responsible for the child, and Mom should have to carry the child and "give it away" to Dad if he wants the kid.

Many will argue its Mom's body. Technically, its Dad's too by the same logic, although theres obvoiusly a huge difference in proportion.

Considering the major changes and effects on the woman's body, in some cases life threatening effects it's her choice.
    The only thing we men are required to do is support whatever decision she makes.

However if the man does not want to have the baby he should be allowed to forgo all child support, and parental rights, but should still be allowed to have contact with the child, after all even though the guy may be a douche, the child should still know their biological father

Yes, if my girlfriend wanted to have an abortion I'd like to be able to say I'm against it and that I would take care of the child myself.

How is that wrong in any way?
    Are you going to pay for the medical/food costs involved during the pregnancy?

Even if you are, you still can't cover the physical damages to her body as a result of the pregnancy. She'll potentially have to deal with stretch marks, tears, etc, and she might become self-conscious as a result. Could you really expect someone to go through all of that just so you can have a baby?
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    No, it's not.

No, it's not.
    Thank you for providing useful and well-founded informations to the discussion.

Aborting te child is selfish too.
    No, it's not.
    Technically, yes it is. Considering being selfish is caring only for oneself, one's own welfare, benefit, feelings etc. By not considering the father in the matter, it is technically selfish. That having been said, I am not actually against it, and I believe it should ultimately be the woman's decision.