Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Dr. Michio Kaku, "the stupid index..."

Dr. Kaku has some interesting insight into the American educational system and the H1-B..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK0Y9j_CGgM

The sad part is that he is right.
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

Deleted
    That's one thing Michio is right about. The BS about the theoretical physics he does, on the other hand, is incredibly stupid.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    That's one thing Michio is right about. The BS about the theoretical physics he does, on the other hand, is incredibly stupid.
    Haha, this is probably the best post on the internet right now. Random mmo-champ user talking shit about Michio Kaku over shit said user probably has no experience in.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Because you're an authority on theoretical physics, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by raist187 View Post
    Because you're an authority on theoretical physics, are you?
    Watching The Big Bang Theory counts as a BSc in Physics nowadays, didn't you know that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Watching The Big Bang Theory counts as a BSc in Physics nowadays, didn't you know that?
    And those that always understand Sheldon automatically get a doctorate (since, obviously, a Master's degree is worth nothing, duh).

OT: One thing i find really hard to understand is how is it that American primary and high schools are of such low quality yet their universities are the best in the world. Doesn't that kind of go against each other? How does someone graduate from a high school that essentially doesn't offer such good education and then go to one of the best universities in the world (provided they have the money, of course, which is so silly i can't even express it (i mean the existence of fees)).

He's basically right, as near as I can tell. I find the scientific illiteracy of Americans remarkably frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    And those that always understand Sheldon automatically get a doctorate (since, obviously, a Master's degree is worth nothing, duh).

OT: One thing i find really hard to understand is how is it that American primary and high schools are of such low quality yet their universities are the best in the world. Doesn't that kind of go against each other? How does someone graduate from a high school that essentially doesn't offer such good education and then go to one of the best universities in the world (provided they have the money, of course, which is so silly i can't even express it (i mean the existence of fees)).
    Most likely because its expensive as hell which lets the universities pour a lot of money on stuff. They dont have to service a lot of people with limited funds but a privileged few with a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post

The weakness of American the primary educational system is overstated. The problem isn't the system, it's the culture. Garbage in, garbage out. In communities that aren't garbage, where academic success is encouraged and rewarded, American students do just fine.

Why does American education suck?

It starts with the home, then the administrators who run the institutions (grade school through high school), the teachers and lastly the students themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimrot View Post
    Why does American education suck?

It starts with the home, then the administrators who run the institutions (grade school through high school), the teachers and lastly the students themselves.
    And of course these gems

Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    And of course these gems

But...But...we've directly observed birds evolving their wing shapes to adapt to loss of forest habitat and increased urban development over the course of 100 years.

Citys obviously have large skyscrapers and bird wings have actually adapted to that very slightly changing the shape of their wing tips to allow for greater precision in tight turns (to fly in between very tall buildings

http://conservationmaven.com/frontpa...-environm.html

And of course these gems

Evolution is a theory not a fact. Granted its the most probable and likely theory on the origin of life it cannot be claimed as a fact. Now If the science book had creationism or some shit in it then that would obviously be retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Evolution is a theory not a fact. Granted its the most probable and likely theory on the origin of life it cannot be claimed as a fact. Now If the science book had creationism or some shit in it then that would obviously be retarded.
    I hope you're aware that the disclaimer in the picture abuses that in scientific terms, a well-established body of observed facts are termed Theory.
    And how does that appear to an average student? "oh, it's just a theory.. a guess."

The reason science doesn't throw around the word "fact" is because it constantly reviews itself, like, we know evolution is a real phenomenon, but we don't know everything about it
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Michio Kaku built a particle accelerator for a high school science fair.

When this man speaks about science or education we'd all do damn well to listen.

I hope you're aware that the disclaimer in the picture abuses that in scientific terms, a well-established body of observed facts are termed Theory.
    And how does that appear to an average student? "oh, it's just a theory.. a guess."

The reason science doesn't throw around the word "fact" is because it constantly reviews itself, like, we know evolution is a real phenomenon, but we don't know everything about it
    Yeah but when people hear the word fact they take it as the complete truth and then science stagnates and it takes a couple scientists that are willing to go against the accept "truths" to actually make any new progress and create a new theory. I don't remember offhand any examples I can think of except Phlogiston which probally held back chemisty about 100 years because people at the time considered it a fact...

he once said "one day everything in doctor who will be possible" that makes that man a hero in my book O-O A HERO @_@
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    he once said "one day everything in doctor who will be possible" that makes that man a hero in my book O-O A HERO @_@
    I don't need a TARDIS to have my life complete. I'd settle for a working sonic screwdriver...

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I don't need a TARDIS to have my life complete. I'd settle for a working sonic screwdriver...
    I'd settle for Amy Pond >_>