Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Then I think you donot play on early Tuesdays. GW2 is able to do thier maintenance and patches without taking the servers down for that. Which makes them superior when it comes to that procedure...just saying..
    This, so many schooled Tuesdays that left me pissed off at blizzard because they did maitenence until school would've fucking been out...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

GW2 might actually make it game of the year 2012 on IGN too.

Game of the Year Nominees
    IGN's official nominees for 2012 Game of the Year are...

■Mass Effect 3
    ■Guild Wars 2
    ■The Unfinished Swan
    ■Borderlands 2
    ■Hotline Miami
    ■FTL
    ■Halo 4
    ■The Walking Dead: The Game
    ■Journey
    ■Dishonored

Glad to see this as GW2 is a solid game but I like playing it here and there and I stick with other games for now. Off-topic, I'm really surprised BorderLands 2 isn't on that list.
    Intel I5-2500k @4.8Ghz| Noctua NH-U9B | Asus P67 Deluxe | 16GB G.SKILL Ares 2133Mhz
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB/1TB | 512GB MX100 | 1TB WD Black x2 | 2TB WD Black |3TB WD Green NAS x2
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | SeasonicX 650 | NXZT H440 | Asus PB278Q | Razor Naga Molten Edition | CM Quick Fire Rapid TK
    Asus Xonar Essense STX | Presonus E5 x2 | Takstar HiFi 2050's

Quote Originally Posted by androidftw View Post

■Mass Effect 3
    ■Guild Wars 2
    ■The Unfinished Swan
    ■Borderlands 2
    ■Hotline Miami
    ■FTL
    ■Halo 4
    ■Journey
    ■Dishonored
    That's a sweet list of games. I hope GW2 wins it, Borderlands 2 and Dishonored are also pretty damn awesome.
    Heyoo!

Heh, that's another very solid list of games for GOTY. Happy to see Unfinished Swan up there, that's such an interesting game. Kinda hard to claim IGN GOT PAID FOR THAT LIST!!!! When half the list consists of smaller, non AAA games that had little to no marketing budget.

Journey and the Walking Dead... amg, two very very good games.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I understand the walking dead, but how was Journey so good? I played it and didn't think it was that great. Music is good, graphics are nice, but seriously, I honestly thought it was overrated. I think its okay, but it didn't make me get a tear or anything.
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

Currently playing WoW,, Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion and Dark Souls 2.

Very good list. I'd say the only out of place game on there is The Last Story, but that's just because pretty much everyone's divided on it. I mean, yeah a lot of folks don't like Halo 4, Torchlight 2, Guild Wars 2, etc... But the critics all hailed those games. The Last Story received mixed reviews and just as mixed player feedback on the game.

Indeed. Journey was like 2nd or 3rd on my EOY games list. Just phenomenal game design. Though I didn't care for the Walking Dead too much. It was still good.

I felt there were a lot of "pretty decent" games this year outside of my top 5. Kinda found it tough to slot GW2 in over Secret World. But I'd say they are both really darn good MMOs. Admittedly I am more partial to TSW's style, theme and gameplay than Guild Wars 2.

The irony being TSW is kinda more like GW1 than GW2. Except for the gear thing. I just really enjoyed TSW [ not that it means much]. Maybe more so than any other MMO this year actually. Though I am not saying it was the best MMO of the year by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Very good list. I'd say the only out of place game on there is The Last Story, but that's just because pretty much everyone's divided on it. I mean, yeah a lot of folks don't like Halo 4, Torchlight 2, Guild Wars 2, etc... But the critics all hailed those games. The Last Story received mixed reviews and just as mixed player feedback on the game.
    As I close up on my impressions of Last Story, I liked some of the things they were doing with it. What I liked, I liked a lot, and what I didn't really gripped me the wrong way. The Introduction not being an introduction to characters at all just a "Here they all are, they're dying in combat don't die" left me asking why I'm supposed to care in the first place. I felt exceptionally stupid the first couple fights I was in because I'm spamming <A> and it does nothing because the game attacks for you but it doesn't tell you that (or tell you that <A> is used for other things later) until after the second fight anyways. Ugh. Really?

That, and well design choice limited the capabilities of the graphics engine. It felt like 2004's Star Ocean: Till The End of Time. The Wii's hardware can push better than this, and Xenoblade didn't feel this pain at all because of their choice in art direction. But if you're making every in game event fully utilize removable modular armor pieces that can each be shaded independently and have that show up on every character on a Wii, it's going to make it look a little worse than PS2 games from almost 10 years ago.

I have mixed feels about Last Story. I'm glad I got to play it, really. But it's definitely not up there in one of my most memorable gaming experiences recently (though the combat for it was quite enjoyable).

Also, TSW makes me smile with their transition to B2P. Instead of TOR (Punish those that are free so that they pay to get the full deal!) they're going with the much more consumer-friendly end of it (reward the people that want to pay by giving them more stuff!). If I can find the time coming up, I'll have to look into trying it for myself. That said, Telara's siren call is making me wish I had the time (not the money, the time) to dive into everything Rift wants me to do. The only reason I don't play that game right now isn't because of sub-fee, but because I just don't have enough clones to get to it, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Then I think you donot play on early Tuesdays. GW2 is able to do thier maintenance and patches without taking the servers down for that. Which makes them superior when it comes to that procedure...just saying..
    you know one of the major things blizzard do on a tuesday? do a mass back up of ALL players characters. thats something arenanet DONT do. so if you get your anet account hacked and your character stripped bare or deleted, they are gone forever. arenanet have no backups in place.

guess you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    you know one of the major things blizzard do on a tuesday? do a mass back up of ALL players characters. thats something arenanet DONT do. so if you get your anet account hacked and your character stripped bare or deleted, they are gone forever. arenanet have no backups in place.

Considering they had this technology in place for Guild Wars 1, it makes you wonder what the hell they're doing. Obviously not a priority. Just like playing with my friends across four seperate servers at the same time (they rolled with their guilds/servers) with their advertised "Guesting" feature which was sold as a point to feel free to roll on other servers from eachother, yeah that totally wasn't a priority either.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post

lolwut? Not only is this incorrect it shows a pretty stunning lack of understanding of how simple technology works...

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    lolwut? Not only is this incorrect it shows a pretty stunning lack of understanding of how simple technology works...
    How it works:
    >Statement made based on logical reasoning. Whether fact or simply a drawn conclusion is irrelevant, the statement itself is made.
    >Someone with information to say otherwise presents it as such as a counterpoint. "This is inaccurate. Allow me to demonstrate why"

Even going beyond the original two people debating, a third observer can come in and gain knowledge as to why the point was made, and why it was proven false (if it was).

How it does not work:
    >"lolwut, not only are you wrong but you don't even know"

Is this the part where we try again? Or is this the part where you sit back down?

How it works:
    >Statement made based on logical reasoning. Whether fact or simply a drawn conclusion is irrelevant, the statement itself is made.
    >Someone with information to say otherwise presents it as such as a counterpoint. "This is inaccurate. Allow me to demonstrate why"

Even going beyond the original two people debating, a third observer can come in and gain knowledge as to why the point was made, and why it was proven false (if it was).

How it does not work:

Is this the part where we try again? Or is this the part where you sit back down?
    Well that guy who claimed that ANet doesn't do backups is wrong so TradewindNQ is correct, InfinteRetro doesn't know what he is talking about. ANet announced a little while ago if you get your account hacked they can fully replace everything in your account for free (but only once).

Quote Originally Posted by androidftw View Post

■Mass Effect 3
    ■Guild Wars 2
    ■The Unfinished Swan
    ■Borderlands 2
    ■Hotline Miami
    ■FTL
    ■Halo 4
    ■Journey
    ■Dishonored
    Pretty little list of bullshit. No, I agree with some choices, Dishonored is probably the best game in genre and Mass Effect 3 doesn't deserve half the bashing it receives - Borderlands 2 deserves some attention too. But putting Guild Wars on the list? This game is a nice little trick - it forced me to think it's something "revolutionary" and "groundbreaking" while being something like early WoW - just without actually being early WoW. The game seems like tastless copy of WoW time to time. And Halo 4... yea, beating a dead horse all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Well that guy who claimed that ANet doesn't do backups is wrong so TradewindNQ is correct, InfinteRetro doesn't know what he is talking about. ANet announced a little while ago if you get your account hacked they can fully replace everything in your account for free (but only once).
    They still deny that they have the tech. Gaile's single post that they could was referencing the ability to do that in GW1, and that they don't have the tech to do it in GW2 "yet, but we're working on it".

They either have the tech to do it, or they don't, the "one time" thing is bogus in either direction and should be drawing your attention to that matter as a falsified point from the beginning.

They have the ability to roll back pretty much any/everything in GW1. People started losing accounts because of compromised databases all over the internet. Or because reasons. I don't know, I don't care. They finally get it back, they can't get things restored. This is fact from ANet. They've said so themselves. And seeing as I still go through the devtracker, I haven't seen them announcing that they've suddenly implemented a one-time-restore feature. Could you, perhaps, find me a link? Maybe I missed it. But the only one I remember is Gaile being misinterpreted and having to correct that by reiterating "It was only for GW1".

How it works:

How it does not work:

People who deserve an explanation get one, annoying fucks spouting off with a remedial understanding of the subject get the minimum amount of effort I am willing to put forth because it would otherwise be an utter waste of my time as it would accomplish about as much as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.

Now if you have something that corroborates his statement, I'd love to see it. Until then, eat me.

Sitting back down now, Moderator.

Should have stayed seated. Let's not insult other posters, moderator or not. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-12-17 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Pretty little list of bullshit. No, I agree with some choices, Dishonored is probably the best game in genre and Mass Effect 3 doesn't deserve half the bashing it receives - Borderlands 2 deserves some attention too. But putting Guild Wars on the list? This game is a nice little trick - it forced me to think it's something "revolutionary" and "groundbreaking" while being something like early WoW - just without actually being early WoW. The game seems like tastless copy of WoW time to time. And Halo 4... yea, beating a dead horse all over again.
    What games would you suggest for game of the year? Diablo 3?
    Heyoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    If it were Call of Duty, I'd agree with the dead horse beating. Or bleating. Halo 4... feels different enough, both in the single player and the multiplayer. I would have a harder time justifying Borderlands2 as a #1 of the year over Halo 4 simply because of the gameplay style (even though the art and humor are both spectacular). That said, I do agree with your sentiment on Dishonored and ME3.