Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
14
... LastLast
  1. #61
    I found the game quite boring, it brought really nothing new to the table it pretty much felt like every other typical MMO around after the week of newness warn off. I also hate the Combat mechanics and the way the players move feels like i am floating off the ground. Anywho not saying its a horrible game but i felt it was over hyped and just another MMO, would i compare it to WOW not really cause i actually think they are different games in there own way but over all i am tired of all the same style of games I wish a developer would have some balls to recreate the MMO genra more then just this stupid free to play bs.

  2. #62
    Leveling new character now the game feels so smooth. Right amount of VO, dailies where you have a lot of freedom how to finish them, beautiful graphics ... it's not 100/100, but compared to TOR/TSW/WoW I play on and off as well it clicks way better.

    @valcrist Dunno, maybe try Planetside 2 or Firefall when it comes out ... those are kind of new take on MMOs. GW2 is like old school MMO done roaming style. I wouldn't mind if TES was like that.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  3. #63
    Since I've played this game for 500 hours, I'd have to agree with Time. Easily the best one I've played this year. I haven't been this sucked into a game since Skyrim.

  4. #64
    Time Magazine and their well known video journalism.

    Oh.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodpad View Post
    Time Magazine and their well known video journalism.

    Oh.
    We can disagree on the order of that list, but the content of that list is spot on! Time magazine or not!

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by xizzu View Post
    We can disagree on the order of that list, but the content of that list is spot on! Time magazine or not!
    True. It's a very good list.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    your obsession with my opinion is getting old. MoP was met with heavy HEAVY resistance leading up to launch and when it released 90% of the people who thought it would tank were wrong. everyone who thought gw2 would outlast religion are now not even playing it because the game is about as exciting as watching grass grow in the outback.

    when gw2 is around in 8 years with 10 million constant players then i'll concede it being on the same level as what mike o'brien reckoned gw2 could be vs wow. and that idiot saying gw1 was basically garbage really proves who were the brains of the trio who formed anet. and those brains left long ago.
    THEN WHY DO YOU POST HERE? If you don't like it, move on. It's not that hard to just ignore this section of the forums. Post in the WoW forums if you like WoW.

    GW2 has it's flaws, it's not perfect, but it's by no means a terrible game. A lot of people still really enjoy it. I think it deserved a list on the top 10. Top game of 2012? For me it was.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodpad View Post
    Time Magazine and their well known video journalism.

    Oh.
    Look at the other games on the list. Then go look through Matt's articles. He's definitely well versed in the gaming industry and in gaming. He's not some random guy that just happens to write about games. A lot of the bigger publications have a few video game guys that are actually very good at what they do. USA Today has a few guys and Forbes has a number that cover gaming very well (I've actually found a lot of the best gaming journalism on that site, oddly enough), so it's actually pretty common.

  9. #69
    Eh, even the text review reeks of someone that read some of A.Net's marketing stuff, then logged into the game for 30 minutes and said, "WoW, events are cool! A++++ would buy again." (Hell, just about everything he lists that he did or saw was stuff from the first newbie quests.)

    It's SWTOR reviewers all over again. They see a tiny bit of it, fap all over it until they pass out, then the players that pick it up and actually play it say, "Hey, waaaaait a minute..."

    THEN WHY DO YOU POST HERE?
    Better question: Why do you reply to him?

  10. #70
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    3,901
    I like how they keep the events fresh, always something unexpected.

    Today, about 10 minutes after a Claw of Jormag kill, a Champion Icebrood Golaith spawns along with assorted Veteran Ice Elementals, Trolls and Kodan. The Champ takes on the Vigil Crusaders at the camp, the Veterans are keeping watch over P2 valley, the Icebrood Trolls start rampaging around and terrorizing the countryside and the Kodan starts attacking the Wurms with some kind of blow torch flame breath.

    The Icebrood Kodan really sucked at dodging, btw. But he appears to be keeping the area fairly Wurm clear.
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

  11. #71
    terrible list, i agree only with xcom's position.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    How can they rank gw2 so high when nobody is playing it?
    Apparently enough people play/enjoy GW2 that it's still in the running for best game 2012 as VOTED by players
    http://www.g4tv.com/vgdm/best-game-2012/
    And there are a lot of good games on that list

    If your opinions of this game come from this forum... well, it's a WoW fan forum, so GW2 gets a lot of criticism here.
    Last edited by nightshark; 2012-12-06 at 09:30 PM.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by valcrist View Post
    I found the game quite boring, it brought really nothing new to the table it pretty much felt like every other typical MMO around after the week of newness warn off. I also hate the Combat mechanics and the way the players move feels like i am floating off the ground. Anywho not saying its a horrible game but i felt it was over hyped and just another MMO, would i compare it to WOW not really cause i actually think they are different games in there own way but over all i am tired of all the same style of games I wish a developer would have some balls to recreate the MMO genra more then just this stupid free to play bs.
    I bought the game before it came out, was in beta for several hours and only today went back in after stopping wow (which I resubbed for a month before MOP). I have to say I agree with you, I was bored stiff playing GW2. It's so clunky and although the graphics seem ok the game is entirely soulless. I wanted to really like it but it just seem like it came out before games such as Wow (and as you will see by my posts I am far from a Wow defender).

    Very disappointing overall. I'll give it a few more hours this week before I uninstall but I am uninspired to do so alas. It reminds me of Rift. I played Rift for about 8 hours before resigning.

    As I said before the game was out and as warning to the devs: animation is terrible and your character feels like it floats through the game. The result is ZERO immersion. How can an MMORPG survive with no immersion. Please pay attention game designers. Fundamental flaw in GW2.

    Oh well.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 10:59 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    Apparently enough people play/enjoy GW2 that it's still in the running for best game 2012 as VOTED by players
    http://www.g4tv.com/vgdm/best-game-2012/
    And there are a lot of good games on that list

    If your opinions of this game come from this forum... well, it's a WoW fan forum, so GW2 gets a lot of criticism here.
    Actually it receives a lot of criticism in other places too.

  14. #74
    Herald of the Titans Kickbuttmario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Posts
    2,902
    Quote Originally Posted by segoplout View Post
    Actually it receives a lot of criticism in other places too.
    So does wow but you don't hear us bitching about wow do ya.
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

  15. #75
    Forums are naturally just a place for bitching. Not just for games but for sports, entertainment, politics, well just about anything really.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by segoplout View Post
    As I said before the game was out and as warning to the devs: animation is terrible and your character feels like it floats through the game. The result is ZERO immersion. How can an MMORPG survive with no immersion. Please pay attention game designers. Fundamental flaw in GW2.
    This is very, very subjective. Same as issues ppl had with TOR combat or TSW combat. Some think it's game breaking, other are confused what the hell are they talking about. And being soulless ... maybe try human story line. It's pretty good. Others are harder to get into if you don't have your role playing muscle trained. Still for me GW2 presents itself as a world, not as a chain of quests you go through once and forget them ... that's kind of the meh system that was around since middle ages.

    Unless you make all those quests memorable ... which most developers are incapable of ... I am looking at you Blizz/BW.

    Anyway as with GW1 it appears that ppl have love/hate relationship with GW2. Some consider them the best, some don't understand what the buzz is about. Regardless I want to see more of these niche games that appeal to certain playerbases. We have had enough of themepark MMOs in the past 10 years ... time to spice things up.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 11:55 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    So does wow but you don't hear us bitching about wow do ya.
    Just give it a moment, I will come up with something ... then again why bother, too tired. Nvm.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  17. #77
    Pit Lord Ravenblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Germany - Thuringia
    Posts
    2,428
    Well, to be honest GW2 is still one of the games of this year for me personally regardless whatever ranking says and I bought the game without buying much into the hype before. In fact I was critical about MMORPGs due to SW:TOR and thought it's going to be one of those forgettable MMOs.
    MoP couldn't grab me for long even though I am proud owner of its CE and even Rift's new expansion doesn't seem to do that either but I know I will be logging on into GW2 again at one point.
    I don't get why it has to be pointed out everytime that it has its flaws like it's totally untypical for new MMOs. It's like pointing out that humans are not perfect at every occasion something is reported about humans in the news which happens quite often these day I have heard. Yes, it has flaws, some rather notable, annoying and mind-boggling ones as well but it's down to the developer company behind and since you don't pay a subscription you don't have to keep subbed in the hope your sub will roll over that month where that miraculous Fix-Everything-patch is being rolled out.

    I am not surprised that it doesn't suit everyone's taste - I know the new CoD Black Ops is totally the best for some people but it's just not my type of games. Doesn't mean I am going to slam the game over not catering to my weird tastes.

    Lastly no matter what angles some MMORPGs will be trying they will always be the same at their basic concepts with a list of positives and negatives compared to the WoW template - the only thing I can see happening in 2-3 years is a syncretism between MMORPGs and FPS genre but that genre will have its own name. Once you realize that there won't be a huge revolution coming you will actually stop nomading around in the hope to find your "retirement" MMORPG.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2012-12-07 at 12:47 AM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) @ Sylvanas EU (retired)
    GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU - When I'm playing WvW I'm really playing LSD.

    My Deus Ex:HR soundtrack mixes [FLAC version (3.5 GB)]

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by segoplout View Post
    I bought the game before it came out, was in beta for several hours and only today went back in after stopping wow (which I resubbed for a month before MOP). I have to say I agree with you, I was bored stiff playing GW2. It's so clunky and although the graphics seem ok the game is entirely soulless. I wanted to really like it but it just seem like it came out before games such as Wow (and as you will see by my posts I am far from a Wow defender).

    Very disappointing overall. I'll give it a few more hours this week before I uninstall but I am uninspired to do so alas. It reminds me of Rift. I played Rift for about 8 hours before resigning.

    As I said before the game was out and as warning to the devs: animation is terrible and your character feels like it floats through the game. The result is ZERO immersion. How can an MMORPG survive with no immersion. Please pay attention game designers. Fundamental flaw in GW2.
    Subjective of course, I find the game very immerse and gorgeous. I've always liked how WoW handled weather, but GW2's environs are just nicer done and livelier. I like the way the bushes move when running through them, and while other games have scripted "wolf mob attacks rabbit mob" stuff, GW2's "anything will fight" stuff is just fun. Watching two deer beat a skrit to death was funny, leaving me to wonder what the skrit did.

    And sure it happens every 15 minutes or whatnot, but the little Asura kid telling the Charr Lionguard that his face looks funny will always be fun to me.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 08:25 PM ----------

    I don't even know half the games on the list, got Halo4 and found it underwhelming, mean to get Dishonored, so hopefully that'd be good.

  19. #79
    Legendary! Tommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,174
    Never ever take ratings seriously, its one of the seven deadly sins of gaming hell. All ratings are just arbitrary bullshit, the games they compared were all so different. It was like comparing WoW to a humble indie bundle..

  20. #80
    Pit Lord Ravenblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Germany - Thuringia
    Posts
    2,428
    I'd not say all ratings but all game-related ratings are more or less arbitrary but moreso since traditional gaming journalism has started taking backseats while online media, blogs and vlogs and the attached of cacophony of 'know-it-alls' have been outnoising them. For me these days random game ratings, hypes, slams, the term "community" when there is just a playerbase, zealous behaviourisms in general are all one of those things to avoid.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) @ Sylvanas EU (retired)
    GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU - When I'm playing WvW I'm really playing LSD.

    My Deus Ex:HR soundtrack mixes [FLAC version (3.5 GB)]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •