Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Definitely should not be #1 compared to other games that came out this year. Just... no. It shouldn't even make top 10. Maybe top 20.
    What would be a better option? Black Ops 2? lol

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    I agree with most of that list except GW2. If it was the game ArenaNet hyped it up to be, maybe. It's honestly nothing more than a westernized Korean grinder in it's current state though (tons of effort, very little reward, broken content everywhere, tons of push towards the cash shop, etc.). I guess that's to be expected with NCSoft @ the reins (and Nexon chomping at the bit). That's all referring to PvE, don't even get me started on the failure that is sPvP/WvW (the one thing that could save this game/make it way more popular and still hasn't received any love).

    Maybe if GW2 was somewhere in the middle/bottom of the list, but #1? Something just doesn't seem right about that.
    Are you playing the same game as the rest of us?

    tons of effort - What? you can reach 80 in no time, and dungeons don't require much effort if you're in a group that atleast understands how to tie their own shoes
    very little reward - Again, what? you can get the EXP mode armor sets with very little effort, that plus the large Trading Post gives you an extremely easy way to obtain anything
    broken content everywhere - The only broken content i've seen so far was the Lost Shores weekend, and the only broken part of that for me was the lag
    tons of push towards the cash shop - Apart from the fact there's no need to use it at all, and even if you did want to use it you can convert in-game Gold to Gems
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    What would be a better option? Black Ops 2? lol
    Xenoblade is damn well worthy of the spot it has on that list, and could have been nudged higher if GW2 wasn't in the way. If the article wasn't written prior to the game's launch, I would say Persona4Golden as an instant candidate as well.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    Are you playing the same game as the rest of us?

    tons of effort - What? you can reach 80 in no time, and dungeons don't require much effort if you're in a group that atleast understands how to tie their own shoes
    very little reward - Again, what? you can get the EXP mode armor sets with very little effort, that plus the large Trading Post gives you an extremely easy way to obtain anything
    broken content everywhere - The only broken content i've seen so far was the Lost Shores weekend, and the only broken part of that for me was the lag
    tons of push towards the cash shop - Apart from the fact there's no need to use it at all, and even if you did want to use it you can convert in-game Gold to Gems
    I guess I should have said I was referring specifically to end-game PvE. I'll agree that lvl 80 and a set of dungeon gear/exotic gear is easy to obtain, that's part of the problem I suppose (I got mine within the first couple weeks). I quit before the whole fractals thing. When I played, other than getting a set of gear you wanted for looks, all you had to do was grind for your T3 armor and Legendary weapon. 0 rewards to be had inbetween. Weeks/months of grinding the same content over and over for gear that will probably be obsolete by the time you finally get it (you could argue that WoW is similar, but at least they give it to you piece by piece, so you feel like you're making progress along the way, not that I'm praising WoW at all with that comment). That's what I was referring to (all that work for something that doesn't even really feel all that rewarding in the end anyway).

    Maybe fractals has solved that. I don't know. If GW2 is still relevant a year or so from now (and still receiving positive reviews) I may check it out again. They've lost me until then.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Xenoblade is damn well worthy of the spot it has on that list, and could have been nudged higher if GW2 wasn't in the way. If the article wasn't written prior to the game's launch, I would say Persona4Golden as an instant candidate as well.
    Xenoblade isn't exactly a 2012 release, so I'm not sure why it's even on there and the other I've never even heard of...which isn't surprising after looking up what it is. It's a bit of a pipedream to expect niche market games to make mainstream top 10 lists.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Xenoblade isn't exactly a 2012 release, so I'm not sure why it's even on there and the other I've never even heard of...which isn't surprising after looking up what it is. It's a bit of a pipedream to expect niche market games to make mainstream top 10 lists.
    Xenoblade's #2 on the list because as a North American 2012 release, it held its own quite well, an anticipated game that did not disappoint.

    As for Persona4, taking a "never heard of it, must be niche and/or terrible" approach is pretty lulzy.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Xenoblade's #2 on the list because as a North American 2012 release, it held its own quite well, an anticipated game that did not disappoint.

    As for Persona4, taking a "never heard of it, must be niche and/or terrible" approach is pretty lulzy.
    Xenoblade came out in 2011 though, it was just released in North America in 2012...hence idk why it's on this list. I didn't say anywhere that I think it's shitty.

    Also where did I say that other one was terrible? I don't even know what it is, ergo never played it so how can I have formed an opinion on it's quality? I see no reason for you to get all defensive and snarky when I gave you a completely valid reason why it's nowhere to be found.

  8. #108
    The Patient Dex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Great North
    Posts
    317
    Well, congratulations to Arenanet!
    In my opinion, they did indeed deserve the #1 spot on the ranking.

    It's a (very) good game, too bad that some people just see it as a "failed wow-killer".
    Males are all stupid and jealous. And females are stupid to be happy about it.
    Idiots are everywhere you look


  9. #109
    >implying defensive intent in previous post

    Time Magazine, being primarily located in 'muricuh (gag), would view Xenoblade as a 2012 release because that's when us Canadians and... those American people... managed to finally get our hands on it. It's like calling TERA a 2012 release. For North America, it technically was, despite the game being live for almost a year and a half prior.

    Persona 4, my "terrible" point was hyperbole for effect, nothing more. But the reason it's not on the list isn't because of it being niche (The Persona franchise has been well recieved again and again, and Time's writers seem to enjoy finding things that go beyond Bro Ops 7, and seem immune to hype a la TOR), but simply because the game had been launched after the article was written, prior to being published.

    Had Persona4Golden been launched a couple months ago, I could see it easily taking a happy slot near the top of that list. That was the point I was making. It's not a niche game. It just simply came out too late.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-12-10 at 08:08 AM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    Time magazine: the gold standard of video game analysis, amirite?
    ^^

    They actually had a decent top 10 aside from the dumb 1st pick, but my personal favorite wasn't even on the list (Borderlands 2).
    Top tier 25M progression raiding on 12 hours per week.
    http://www.temerityofwindrunner.com/
    US 15th Garrosh - US 19th Ra-den ** US 19th Sha of Fear

  11. #111
    Time magazine was just giving their opinion. It doesn't mean much of anything. You could line up 10 other magazines doing a top 10 and I bet most of it would be completely different. That being said it's not a knock on GW2. They put a lot of work into it, so it's nice to see that it's at least being recognized.

  12. #112
    Hyperbole for effect? Is that what we're calling "putting words in my mouth" these days? It is a niche game, for a niche platform (Vita). Niche being, low market share and low visibility. Also isn't it just an enhanced port of a 4 year old game to begin with? So yeah, still not sure why you had to go full snark because I had never heard of it.

    On a related note I can think of at least half a dozen games which don't fall into the "niche" category that were omitted and could have also just as easily broken the list. But lets face it, you're just upset that GW2 is #1 on an opinion list, boo-hoo.

  13. #113
    GW2 lacks very fundamental things we already had in other games for a decade.

    1. No seamless background loading world to adventure in: instead you got loading screens.
    2. Closed up zones with visible and invisible walls.
    3. No fast travel system: no horses, mounts, apparently even the wheel as a person's transport is not invented yet.
    4. No open world PvP, only instances.

    As such GW2 is a step back compared to what we already had years ago. Jumping from one loading screen to another loading screen is not my idea of an open world MMORPG you adventure in.

    I know by posting this I am taking a huge risk of being banned by these fanatic GW2 mods, but just be sure to check these features for the "best game" according to a dude typing for Time...

    The fact this idiot put TL2 on 10 and took a shot at D3 is telling me we have a Blizzard hater on that Time staff.

    Grtz to him.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    GW2 lacks very fundamental things we already had in other games for a decade.

    1. No seamless background loading world to adventure in: instead you got loading screens.
    2. Closed up zones with visible and invisible walls.
    3. No fast travel system: no horses, mounts, apparently even the wheel as a person's transport is not invented yet.
    4. No open world PvP, only instances.

    As such GW2 is a step back compared to what we already had years ago. Jumping from one loading screen to another loading screen is not my idea of an open world MMORPG you adventure in.

    I know by posting this I am taking a huge risk of being banned by these fanatic GW2 mods, but just be sure to check these features for the "best game" according to a dude typing for Time...

    The fact this idiot put TL2 on 10 and took a shot at D3 is telling me we have a Blizzard hater on that Time staff.

    Grtz to him.
    No worries on being banned by "fanatic gw2 mods," they all hate the game too and probably agree with everything you said.

  15. #115
    Oh man, are we fanatics or haters? I CAN'T DECIDE WHICH CAMP IS WHICH!!!!!

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I find this set of "Top Ten" to be rather decent. Normally I'd expect to see the popular/hyped games on a "Top Ten" such as D3, MoP, and CoD, however popularity is obviously unimportant to this reviewer. However I personally do not agree with GW2 being #1. Great game with great ideas, but not #1.



    Reviews and rating are more of guidelines. Just because X game rates a little higher than Y doesn't meant X > Y to everybody. However, when a certain game gets a low score across the board with most reviewers, chances are the game is of poor quality.
    The fact he omitted ALL Activision Blizzard games AND took a shot at Diablo 3 explains a lot really.

    You can find these idiots everywhere currently, apparently even on a Time Magazine staff.

    The year an MMO introduced open world play across servers without loading screens will be remembered in 10 years time though.(but that was not GW2 of course).

    And this Time dude will boost he predicted it all along with his cognitive dissonance. That's how it works really ...

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    The fact he omitted ALL Activision Blizzard games AND took a shot at Diablo 3 explains a lot really.

    You can find these idiots everywhere currently, apparently even on a Time Magazine staff.

    The year an MMO introduced open world play across servers without loading screens will be remembered in 10 years time though.(but that was not GW2 of course).

    And this Time dude will boost he predicted it all along with his cognitive dissonance. That's how it works really ...
    Yeah nevermind that Torchlight 2 is fucking 10x better than Diablo 3. It must be a conspiracy.

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    The fact he omitted ALL Activision Blizzard games AND took a shot at Diablo 3 explains a lot really.

    You can find these idiots everywhere currently, apparently even on a Time Magazine staff.

    The year an MMO introduced open world play across servers without loading screens will be remembered in 10 years time though.(but that was not GW2 of course).

    And this Time dude will boost he predicted it all along with his cognitive dissonance. That's how it works really ...
    Erm...why should an Activision-Blizzard be on the list? Is there a requirement? Maybe he just didn't think they released any games worthy of being in the top 10? Or is there a mandatory, "X games by Y publisher" requirement? Apparently that makes him an idiot though, despite the fact that he's a very well respected games journalist.

    And FYI, cross realm zones has been a pretty polarizing feature, with a lot of negative feedback about its implementation. It's impressive, technologically, but as for it being a huge success, I don't think it's hit that point yet.

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    The fact he omitted ALL Activision Blizzard games AND took a shot at Diablo 3 explains a lot really.

    You can find these idiots everywhere currently, apparently even on a Time Magazine staff.

    The year an MMO introduced open world play across servers without loading screens will be remembered in 10 years time though.(but that was not GW2 of course).

    And this Time dude will boost he predicted it all along with his cognitive dissonance. That's how it works really ...
    As good as mists is, in no way is it a top 10 game of the year, and D3....deservedly taken a shot at. Your point about cross servers is controversial becuase even though I like it, its not been well received by a few.

  20. #120
    To be fair making any video game lists and rank them is like ranking tea flavors. In any way the list will be subjective to what the editor likes or if it's public to what the majority of the players want. But that still doesn't validate the list, as each person has it's own taste in games. And to be fair as a hardcore players I enjoyed GW2 a lot untill I reached max level, did PvP, leveled proffesions and just got bored of the no end-game content.

    But that's just my own opinion...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •