Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Whoa dang, another award. IGN People's Choice Game of the Year.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2012/Best_PC_Game
    Best PC game of the year : P

Still impressive, nice to see GW2 getting some awards.

So almost all the big names in gaming have awarded it Game of the year/PC game of the year or RPG of the year 2012 . What else could be more impressive or evidence of it being a very solid game.

Quote Originally Posted by androidftw View Post
    so almost all the big names in gaming have awarded it game of the year/pc game of the year or rpg of the year 2012 . What else could be more impressive or evidence of it being a very solid game.
    No! It's a conspiracy! Everyone is under the spell of Arenanet's filthy lucre!!!

These "best game" things are completely retarded. Only idiots would compare apples with oranges and make a top. I would understand "Best MMORPG of the year"...

Now, who wants to make the "best music album of the year" top?

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    As I've stated about a hundred times this thread, Matt Peckham is a spectacular journalist and is well respected amongst gaming journalists. He knows his stuff, even if he does write for a non-gaming publication, and his opinion is pretty well respected.

It's like Forbes. Outside of Polygon (who are the most arrogant guys in the industry), they have have the best gaming journalism I've found on the interwebs. I'm being serious too, their coverage of events and their in-depth articles is impressive and they have a number of very astute writers.

If Angry Birds won GotY, and the author provided some compelling reasons, then more power to it. But it hasn't. GW2 on the other hand, has made it into most publications nominees lists for general gaming, and pretty much every MMO specific list (winning many of them). So this is pretty in-line with the majority opinion.
    He may be a spectacular journalist but im not going to take a Top 10 list that has multiple genre's seriously.

Some of the best games of this year didnt even get an honourable mention on that list. This is a much better list seperating them into categories, naturally there still has to be a big shiny "who was the best" because its a form of media, but the other categories are at least fair to the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    He may be a spectacular journalist but im not going to take a Top 10 list that has multiple genre's seriously.

Some of the best games of this year didnt even get an honourable mention on that list. This is a much better list seperating them into categories, naturally there still has to be a big shiny "who was the best" because its a form of media, but the other categories are at least fair to the competition.
    Like that one a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    No! It's a conspiracy! Everyone is under the spell of Arenanet's filthy lucre!!!
    "What, what do you mean they paid us in Gems? Didn't we get a contract saying they'd pay us in cash? Oh, we didn't.... Damn you Anet!"

---------- Post added 2012-12-20 at 11:04 AM ----------

I don't take any lists or reviews seriously, only as jumping off points to look for other games.

I already have GW2 so it's purpose for me in any such list is to compare the authors opinion to mine to use as a basis on whether I'd like the other options.

I was going to rage about GW2 being ranked game of the year by so many media outlets, but then I took a moment to think and realized it's probably true. Although, to be honest a more appropriate title would have been "least terrible game of the year".

Is that your stance too for film, literature, art and music lists that feature different genres?

Because there is about ~75 years of editorial EOYs that internet forum user Tommo is bucking at the Oscar Wildes', Paluine Kaels' and Shklovsky's of history. Which I am sure is a bomb to critique across time.

Lester Bangs is crying in his grave now.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-12-20 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Is that your stance too for film, literature, art and music lists that feature different genres?

Because there is about ~75 years of editorial EOYs that internet forum users Tommo is bucking at the Oscar Wildes', Paluine Kaels' and Shklovsky's of history. Which I am sure is a bomb to critique across time.

Lester Bangs is crying in his grave now.
    Way to completely blow what I said out of proportion.

Way to completely blow what I said out of proportion.
    How is that blowing it out of proportion? You seem to be implying that if EoY lists aren't separated by sub-category/sub-genre (i.e. MMO, action, RPG, simulator ect. for games), that it's somehow invalid. Or am I reading what you've been writing entirely wrong...

Separating into categories is great, but not doing so doesn't somehow invalidate a list.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    I was going to rage about GW2 being ranked game of the year by so many media outlets, but then I took a moment to think and realized it's probably true. Although, to be honest a more appropriate title would have been "least terrible game of the year".
    I thought Mass Effect 3 was pretty damn good. I think GW2 is pretty damn good too.
    Still bitter.