Poll: Draenei warlocks; would you like to see them?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    That's the thing, unlike the magic taboo among the Night Elves, the fel energy is not a taboo among the Draenei. It's forbidden and against their cultural codes.
    hmm. so was arcane magic to night elves -_-

here's the thing: becoming a warlock for power makes you the same as the eredar. becoming a warlock to defeat the legion makes you a martyr, sacrificing your purity and gambling with your immortal soul for the greater good.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    May as well. If NE's can break their taboo and become mages, I don't see why draenei can't go warlock.
    they didn't break the taboo and become mages though. they accepted some rediscovered Highborne Night Elves back into their society.
    Night Elf mages are not the Night Elves that have been under the auspices of an arcane ban for thousands of years, they are the night elves that were chilling in Dire Maul for a while.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert the fish View Post
    and warlock magic doesn't make them demons IMMEDIATELY, but blizzard hasn't been shy about pointing out that inundation with fel/demonic magic does turn people into demons eventually.
    UNCONTROLLED fel magic makes you a demon. but if you control it, it doesn't.

actually the whole basis of the demonology spec is to use fel magic to turn into a demon and than just turn back. if you know what the hell you are doing, you can turn into a demon, than turn back into what you were before.

10+ Year Old Account
    becoming a warlock to defeat the legion makes you a martyr, sacrificing your purity and gambling with your immortal soul for the greater good.
    That gamble is reason enough to not allow it. Draenei would never tolerate a risk like that. We're an endangered species as it is. There is no need for "oops the demon i summoned was to powerful to control, sorry dudes, he's on a rampage and wants to have fun now"... <_<

Technically a Draenei lock would have to live with another race (Gnomes / Humans) and would be hated by the Exodar faction or any Draenei NPC.
    Obviously you can't implement something like that in game.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post

here's the thing: becoming a warlock for power makes you the same as the eredar. becoming a warlock to defeat the legion makes you a martyr, sacrificing your purity and gambling with your immortal soul for the greater good.
    that makes sense, i agree, but i'm not the one with the issue against warlocks. it's the draenei faction that does and make no mistake that they do.
    now if you can go into the game, sit down with Velen, and convince him that it'd be ok to let his people start practicing warlock magic then we might have something, but you can't.

they got burned by fel magic and are unnecessarily (imo) of its corruption and refuse to use it.

complain all you want, but the bottom line at the end of the day is that the draenei based their new society around NOT being warlocks and the odds of them decided to change that after a few thousand years of running around the universe fighting demons and eventually getting almost eradicated for a second time because of demons and warlocks are not very good. in fact they are slim to none and slim just got shot in the back of the head.

again i'm not saying that the choice is perfectly logical, just that it's the choice they made and they have some fairly compelling reasons to be too afraid to reverse said choice.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

10+ Year Old Account
    Makes just about as much sense to me as Forsaken being Druids...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ask View Post
    I've always wanted draenei warlocks.
    Draenei aren't all light kissers. Some of them did choose to follow Sargeras and are part of the Burning Legion right now. So why not, really ?
    because of that exact same reason i'd say. unlike the night elves with mages, demons are a fresh and still festering wound with the draenei. i don't think they will be that quick to get over it, they know first hand how easy it is for dark magics to gain contol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

UNCONTROLLED fel magic makes you a demon. but if you control it, it doesn't.

actually the whole basis of the demonology spec is to use fel magic to turn into a demon and than just turn back. if you know what the hell you are doing, you can turn into a demon, than turn back into what you were before.
    yes, but you're missing the key thing here.
    as a racial quality the Draenei no longer believe that controlled fel magic exists. they are of the opinion, no matter whether it's true or not, that fel magic is only controllable in the short term and it ALWAYS leads to being consumed by demonic power.

them being right or wrong doesn't really mean anything in this debate. right or wrong, it's the choice they made.

Deleted
    No, it was a taboo for the Druidic side of the Kaldorei civilization, the one that became dominant. Not to the entire Night Elven race.

Draenei aren't a race, but a political faction of the Eredar. The same as the High Elves didn't follow their Blood Elven brothers.

No, it was a taboo for the Druidic side of the Kaldorei civilization, the one that became dominant. Not to the entire Night Elven race.

Draenei aren't a race, but a political faction of the Eredar. The same as the High Elves didn't follow their Blood Elven brothers.
    it's also still a taboo for the Druidic Kaldorei. the Night Elf Mages we can play are Shen'dralar

Quote Originally Posted by Albert the fish View Post
    again i'm not saying that the choice is perfectly logical, just that it's the choice they made and they have some fairly compelling reasons to be too afraid to reverse said choice.
    for now. but hopefully, that whole "warlocks and the naaru are BFFs now" thing from the warlock questline will serve as lore foundation for draenei warlocks next expansion

10+ Year Old Account
    Not all Nightelf mages are Shen'dralar

In World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, a group of Highborne known as the Shen'dralar successfully appealled to Tyrande Whisperwind to be allowed to make a return to kaldorei society. After the Sundering, the night elves had outlawed arcane magic on the pain of death.[2] However, some time before the Cataclysm a Highborne archmage named Mordent Evenshade sought an audience with Tyrande and proposed to set aside long-standing differences and to combine resources, skills and numbers to prepare the wider night elven race for the challenges it faces. Despite the doubts of certain Sentinels[3], this proposal was accepted. The Shen'dralar were allowed a cautious return among their kaldorei brethren, with some young night elves being trained by them to become new night elven mages, and, conversely, some of the Highborne taking up the druidic arts or being initiated into Elune's priesthood--major societal changes that marked the first steps towards reconciliation between the Highborne and wider night elven society.
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Nightelf

but hopefully, that whole "warlocks and the naaru are BFFs now" thing from the warlock questline will serve as lore foundation for draenei warlocks next expansion
    Is this supposed to be a joke?!

Naaru and WL are not friends. The Naaru are divine beings that don't really care about a mortal lock. However they reserve their judgement for now.

Basically the Naaru just says "Time will tell if you are able to handle it."

Deleted
    for now. but hopefully, that whole "warlocks and the naaru are BFFs now" thing from the warlock questline will serve as lore foundation for draenei warlocks next expansion
    Now that I agree. The warlock is changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Naaru and WL are not friends. The Naaru are divine beings that don't really care about a mortal lock. However they reserve their judgement for now.
    do you really believe the naaru would be so irresponsible as to give an ata'mal crystal to some ramdom warlock dude to see if he's going to use it well or destroy the universe?

if he gave the eye of the storm to the lock, he trusted on him.
    Last edited by checking facts; 2012-12-07 at 01:15 AM.

Well they'd be shunned and driven out of current Draenei society, which is understandably pretty hostile to its members following the path of the Eredar.

Somewhat precedented by the Night Elf Mages, who are being tolerated again. Then again the pitfalls of demonic magic are a bit more serious than those of arcane magic, and the War of the Ancients was such a long time ago whereas the Legion was menacing the Draenei as recently as The Burning Crusade.

So, I dunno, I'm on the fence. They could incorporate them with sufficient background quest lore in the Draenei starting zones I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    do you really believe the naaru would be so irresponsible as to give an ata'mal crystal to some ramdom warlock dude to see if he's going to use it well of destroy the universe?

if he gave the eye of the storm to the lock, he trusted on him.
    Why not. It's not an entire ata'mal Crystal. The Eye of Storms is the blue shard of it.
    We all already have shards:
    Heart of Fury (Red) which was embedded into the Medallion of Karabor.
    Spirit's Song (violet) which is the Key to the Arcatraz (LoL I just realized that it's probably a pun on Alcatraz, damn took me 6 years to get that one ^_^)

The Legion is digging after one in Hellfire peninsula.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Ata'mal_crystal

They are powerful, yes but they aren't to the point where the Naaru will have sleepless nights. Still I'm curious about what the point of giving a WL the Eye is. I hope it's more than "You can now cast green fire, lolz".
    Last edited by Granyala; 2012-12-07 at 01:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We are hoping more than as well. since one spec uses fire all the time, and the second spec only uses it for aoe and mc procs (and last 20% if not full fury) and affliction doesnt use it at all. They need to cater to all three specs for such an epic questline. And who knows what the end facto may be for that line. the Resurrection of and uncorrupted illidan? Green Fire? Purple aura while casting affliction spells? draenai locks?

But, the matter is still in play, if it is not the whole crystal, but a part of it, why would a naaru even tempt to give something to a lock (%name = hero) when locks are known to fail when they are given something immensely powerful? By fail, i mean become so corrupt that they either become demons themselves, or casts a portal to open up gateway to the legion to let them through, or just such so bad, just like wilfred fizzlebang.

So yes, the Naaru has to trust %name, warlock, even though the naaru supposedly forbade felarcane to draenai. Pshh draenai are not the chosen people anymore. it isthe warlocks.

That's the thing, unlike the magic taboo among the Night Elves, the fel energy is not a taboo among the Draenei. It's forbidden and against their cultural codes.
    That's what a taboo is.

im more for undead shamans then draeni warlocks.. dammit where are my undead shammys?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    No, just no...
    Kinda surprised that "no just no" comments don't constitute trolling and are still passable by mods.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.