Thread: Defiance

Defiance

Only recently got wind of this 'event'. Not even sure if the games forum is the right place for it

For those who dont know, Defiance is both a TV series that will air next April on SyFy. However it is also a new MMO from Trion that will be tied into the TV series for one of the first real transmedia events of its kind. Sure there have been movies/shows based off of games before, and games based off of movies/shows. However till now none of them have affected what happens in the other on an ongoing basis. Things that happen in the game as a result of the players can have effects on the TV series, and changes in the TV series can alter the game world. Oh and its also cross platform, being on PC, 360, and ps3. So a Transmedia TV series/Cross platform MMO. Now go youtube it

I think it could have potential. However it could be a massive epic fail on one side or the other, leaving half of it to continue on alone, or neither. On the TV series side i think it looks strong for now, and might be quite entertaining to watch since its not produced by someone like NBC and similar. SyFy will take care of the show and wont cancel it because the rating went down 1 point and only placed 2nd most watched show for the night.

On the MMO side i know Trion can handle this undertaking, they have proven their worth with Rift(i dont personally play it, but seems a good enough game and has lasted longer then most other recent new comers). I know i would not jump on the MMO side of it until i seen that it had lasting powers, been burnt by new MMOs in the past due to hype and what promise they showed. If the entire event is a success in any measure, and the game looks decent and like it will last some time, then i might look more at it(especially if they offer a trial account).

So whats every ones take on this 'thing'?

edit, adding some links for people who have not heard of it yet...
    http://defiance.com/en/ <main site for this
    http://trionworlds.com/en/games/defiance/ <MMO info
    ^^Everything said above is purely the opinion of the person who posted it. Nothing said is to be taken as fact unless otherwise stated, and even then only taken into consideration as fact, and not an actual fact, as it could be wrong or in other ways misinformed.

Deleted
    So whats every ones take on this 'thing'?
    I never really played Rift, but Trion has done a pretty good job for the game. This however. It's pretty much a unique undertaking to my knowledge, I'll be very interested to see if they can pull it off. Very interested indeed. The concept is one that definitely intrigues me. At least it's an MMO-FPS, that's much more likely to work than the standard hotkey MMO.

Honestly, I'd have to wait for more information on it, but I'll be very interested to see how this goes down. I do wonder if the game will have a strong RP community due to the link. Whilst most people dismiss RP as 'People playing dress up', I can tell you I've seen some monumentally done RP events, even in more restrictive games such as WoW. Server wide RP-PvP battles spanning across 5 or so zones, with objectives, painstakingly set up rules and fantastic story behind them. If such events take place, I wonder if Trion and SyFy would pick up and use them for the TV show.

Something to keep an eye on at any rate.

10+ Year Old Account
    So is this going to come out in April? While the chances for failure are high, in my opinion. I admit to being intrigued by the possibilities.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    i am more wondering if the tv show will be aired across the world at the same time and if the game is playable for the whole world

Quote Originally Posted by Onaturi View Post
    i am more wondering if the tv show will be aired across the world at the same time and if the game is playable for the whole world
    Heh, that will be an issue.

I'm less worried about the game itself (looking pretty interesting, and Trion has been spectacular so far with Rift) and more concerned with "SyFy" involvement. They haven't been the best of TV channels lately and their touch kinda taints things -_-

As much as I'd love for this gambit to succeed, the chance for epic fail is high. The MMO market is glut, and I don't see any new entries doing terribly well anytime soon. Trion's done a good job with Rift, but one game does not make for a history of success. Syfy certainly has a checkered history, with some good shows, some OK shows, and some bombs that rival their B- movie line.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Heh, that will be an issue.

I'm less worried about the game itself (looking pretty interesting, and Trion has been spectacular so far with Rift) and more concerned with "SyFy" involvement. They haven't been the best of TV channels lately and their touch kinda taints things -_-
    Don't you just love the terrible cg and editing? It's AWESOME(ly hilarious).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post

i sometimes watch SYFY for their hilarious movies, they had one were a phirana ate a helicopter, that one was good.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i sometimes watch SYFY for their hilarious movies, they had one were a phirana ate a helicopter, that one was good.
    They make more comedy than the Comedy Channel :P.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Asylum makes great movies. At least they're not as bad as they used to be though, they've come a long way since Transmorphers.

All the "making of Defiance" (both the show and game) have been pretty good this far I think, SyFy is developing languages for the aliens, the guy who made up the Dothraki language in Game of Thrones is creating seven languages for Defiance and the costumes/makeup all look pretty good.
    I didn't really have high hopes for the show previously, but after watching a few videos about it and reading up on things I think this show has a lot of potential and it seems like SyFy is really going for it this time and backing it heavily.

There's barely any information about the game though, but Trion is a great company so I guess the biggest concern I have is if their game engine can handle smooth FPS combat.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't look too terrible.

Meh... More curious about the game but not sure how well it will hold up against titles like Planetside 2.

The audio in that E3 video...visuals are much improved from the last vid I watched (which was a while ago) which is nice.

Deleted
    Looks interesting... is there any information on whether it'll be ftp/btp/sub based?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Looks interesting... is there any information on whether it'll be ftp/btp/sub based?
    I have not seen anything on it but I figure it will be F2P. Planetside 2 is and if they want any chance of competing they'll probably do the same. Would not be at all surprised if they monetize the crap out of it too.