PvE Resto Healing

I'm levelling a Resto Shaman to heal in PvE (high end heroics etc, maybe t15 if I decide to shelve my Mistweaver but I'm undecided). Basically I want to know if the following is "how I should be playing":

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sy^U|sbV

And then basically healing boils down to this:

RT rolling on 3 tanks (or 2 tanks, yourself, or 1 tank, a melee, and yourself)
    CH off of tank/melee with RT
    Healing Rain on CD
    HST on CD
    Ascendance as raid cd #1 (generally in combination with SLT?)
    SLT as raid cd #1 / #2
    HTT as raid cd #3
    Primal Elementalist when healing becomes difficult

Stack Mastery as main secondary stat
    Gem int / spirit or pure spirit

-----

Thoughts, is this right?

I need help with:
    - Haste breakpoints?

I wouldnt drop healing rain on CD due to mana issues. (10m or 25m)?
    I would use HTT as first CD because it is the most powerful, you then may can use it twice in a fight.
    Stack haste up to first breakpoint (<900), then mastery up to ~50%, then crit.
    Personally I wont use the fire ele glyph, there are more useful ones.
    Furthermore I wont simply CH the tanks, do what the situation wants you to do, but I guess this is natch.

Deleted
    Chain heal isn't as efficient / good as it used to be, so don't use it unless everyone is stacked (grand empress p3, elegon p3 etc). Only healing rain when the majority is stacked too, like garalon for example.

Try not to use slink and htt together, and during ascendance spam GHW, If everyone is stacked then CH off a riptide is better generally.
    871 haste breakpoint (since the 3.7k breakpoint is currently bugged)> around 50% mastery > crit stack.

UE before every healing rain if you can. Use totemic recall glyph and recall HST / elementals (especially). Keep ES up.

The bulk of your standard healing comes from GHW / HW spam, with riptide / HST on cd. This only changes when you need to stack heal, then HR on cd with UE buff, and chain heal off riptide.

hey -i have a lot of raid videos in my channel www.twitch.tv/scrogglez - all resto and I rank top 20 on World of Logs nightly in raids - What I try to do is :

Riptide off CD on tanks or whoever will be tanking dmg - Voodoo ppl on gara'jal etc
    Chain heal when AOE is incoming
    Zerker + Elemastery + Tide = Amazing
    Link + ascendance mixed with healing rain is amazing as well.

As for secondary stats Haste to lowest soft cap
    50% mastery
    Rest in crit
    Don't drop any spirit

UE + healing Rain always - never w/out !!!

Drop your healing stream 24/7 on cd and if you run call of elements ,use it right after you drop a stream to max the downtime on the cd.

There is a lot to learning shaman but they are VERY strong healing atm in 10 and 25m. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Scrogglez View Post
    hey -i have a lot of raid videos in my channel www.twitch.tv/scrogglez - all resto and I rank top 20 on World of Logs nightly in raids - What I try to do is :

Riptide off CD on tanks or whoever will be tanking dmg - Voodoo ppl on gara'jal etc

Drop your healing stream 24/7 on cd and if you run call of elements ,use it right after you drop a stream to max the downtime on the cd.

There is a lot to learning shaman but they are VERY strong healing atm in 10 and 25m. Good luck
    Bezerking and EM with HTT is overkill and gimps your healing throughout the fight. The only time you should pick up EM is on fights with 1/2 min burst healing and nothing in between (think titan gas and Rain of blades is spaced right). for the rest of them you should go AS and gear for 871 breakpoint. All haste past that is not very useful.

In heavy healing (high damage longer than 15 secs) casting HR without UE is recommenbded as the hps output is higher than waiting for UE. This is especially true during an ascendance burn in which i highly suggest using AS to instant cast HR right after its off cd.

There are times when you will need to pick up projection and time when holding your hst a few seconds for incoming damage will be more beneficial than dropping it on cd.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HamSandwichFace View Post
    I'm levelling a Resto Shaman to heal in PvE (high end heroics etc, maybe t15 if I decide to shelve my Mistweaver but I'm undecided). Basically I want to know if the following is "how I should be playing":

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sy^U|sbV

And then basically healing boils down to this:

RT rolling on 3 tanks (or 2 tanks, yourself, or 1 tank, a melee, and yourself) yes
    CH off of tank/melee with RT or anybody with RT HoT
    Healing Rain on CD always 6 people mini in the rain and UE buffed
    HST on CD with glyph of totemic recal
    Ascendance as raid cd #1 (generally in combination with SLT?)
    SLT as raid cd #1 / #2
    HTT as raid cd #3
    raid CDs depend of the fight, of the other healers and if you are speced in EM or AS
    Primal Elementalist when healing becomes difficult don't forget UF it can be of some use in certain fights when you are in charge of tanks

Stack Mastery as main secondary stat
    Gem int / spirit or pure spirit

stats priorities : enougth spirit - haste break point then mastery and crit are rougthly equivalent in an average fight
    -----

Thoughts, is this right?

I need help with:
    - Haste breakpoints? Hastebreak points 871/441 gobelin or 3039/2588 gobelin if EM speced
    -------------------------------

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrogglez View Post

Chain heal when AOE is incoming
    Link + ascendance mixed with healing rain is amazing as well.

As for secondary stats Haste to lowest soft cap
    50% mastery
    Rest in crit
    Don't drop any spirit

I would not advise using EM, but find a play style that works for you.

I've also found healers generally rank for a few reasons:
    1. progression fight
    2. fight which not many people have done
    3. raid taking far too much unnecessary damage
    4. other healers under performing

Which is to say: healing is not really like DPS. Generally the better your raid executes a fight the lower your HPS numbers should be. That is not to take away from your performance, you obviously have found a play style that works for you and are quite capable of playing the class. I just think it is a misrepresentation to make "ranking" the end-goal when you are healing.

All the advice here is good. I would try to stray away from listing cooldowns in order of importance. SLT is going to be way better for some situations than others, or can be used as a preventative tool to prevent a tank or raid member death. I find it to be very situational and extremely powerful when used appropriately. Ascendance and HTT are for throughput when you really need to make up a lot of HPS in a short amount of time.
    Last edited by edlike; 2012-12-08 at 03:27 AM.