Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What was the point of not having worgen/goblin monks?

I don't get it. At first, I think many assumed the reason worgen and goblins were not given monks as a class, was because they intended to update all the vanilla and tbc models, and as worgen/goblins were not needing an update, they were left aside.
    But now seeing how all they did was update the vanilla races with monk animations and not an updated model, what this shows is they weren't intending to release monk animations to tie in with updated models at this time.

So, there is no lore reason why monks/goblins can't be, and I find myself really disappointed at not getting to play a worgen monk.

Did they ever give a spoken reason for this?
    #boycottchina

I could be entirely off base, but I was under the impression that Blizzard thought there was too much of an interest in the new cataclysm races, so making them not be monks would draw more players back to 'old' races.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, this video I found recently from the mists beta test shows they did infact tie in monk animations to worgen to begin with, but obviously scrapped it.

did they scrap it because it would require more work to do for worgen/goblins?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O6DqCEL3k0

---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 04:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by OniXiion View Post
    I could be entirely off base, but I was under the impression that Blizzard thought there was too much of an interest in the new cataclysm races, so making them not be monks would draw more players back to 'old' races.
    if that was the case they wouldn't have introduced pandaren and just given monks to old races.
    #boycottchina

I think it has more to do with timeline continuity than anything. All Goblins/Worgen that are part of their respective factions became part of those factions before Pandaria was discovered and thus before any could train to be a Monk. Because the populations of the other races is so much higher and in established areas of the world, it is more likely that someone 'younger' could choose to train as a Monk rather than as something else.

It's similar to Pandaren not being able to become Death Knights since they weren't outside of Pandaria (or the Wandering Isle) in any sort of large numbers when Arthas was in power as LK.
    @TwintopTahoe Twintop @ Illidan-US HowToPriest
    Simulate Your Character on Beotorch! https://www.beotorch.com/

I always thought it was down to lore.
    Gilneas has lived in isolation, and their starting zone actually begins before the cataclysm happens.Since pandarens only left pandaria after the cataclysm happened, there's no way for them to be inside the greymane wall to teach gilneans to be monks
    Ditto for the goblins. The bilgewater cartel has lived on Kezan for a lot of time, and they only left the island when it was sunk due to the cataclysm, since the pandaren only left pandaria after the cataclysm was over, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Twintop View Post

It's similar to Pandaren not being able to become Death Knights since they weren't outside of Pandaria (or the Wandering Isle) in any sort of large numbers when Arthas was in power as LK.
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Mojo_Stormstout

If there's a Pandaren on the Azuremyst Isle while the Exodar crashed, then there could be surely at least a single Pandaren in the EPL while Arthas searched new "recruits".

Most likely it's because worgen start off in walled-off Gilneas and goblins start off on Kezan, and they couldn't figure out a plausible way to put a pandaren monk trainer in either place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Simple answer is that they don't want to promote old content, even though I personally see little reason not to let people who enjoy goblins and worgen to play a Monk. Draenei/BE can be death knights, soooo...
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Mojo_Stormstout

If there's a Pandaren on the Azuremyst Isle while the Exodar crashed, then there could be surely at least a single Pandaren in the EPL while Arthas searched new "recruits".
    Exodar and rest of the Azeroth don't share the same timeskip Northrend and Azeroth does. (yes ebon hold is part of "northrend" content as there are a few naxxramas npcs for example)

10+ Year Old Account
    The way I see it, the lore reason would just be an excuse for the developers to cover themselves and dodge giving a genuine reason.

I'm guessing the real reason comes from something else, why they purposely ignored the two cata races. After all, if you can have a pandaren monk on Azuremyst isle after the draenei have crash landed then there isn't that great a lore excuse for it.

---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 04:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Simple answer is that they don't want to promote old content, even though I personally see little reason not to let people who enjoy goblins and worgen to play a Monk. Draenei/BE can be death knights, soooo...
    that doesn't make sense, monks being given to vanilla races is the epitome of going back to old content.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    The way I see it, the lore reason would just be an excuse for the developers to cover themselves and dodge giving a genuine reason.

I'm guessing the real reason comes from something else, why they purposely ignored the two cata races. After all, if you can have a pandaren monk on Azuremyst isle after the draenei have crash landed then there isn't that great a lore excuse for it.
    Putting a monk trainer on azuremyst is less of stretch than putting one on kezan/gilneas.
    I do agree with you though. Seems unfair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock View Post
    Putting a monk trainer on azuremyst is less of stretch than putting one on kezan/gilneas.
    I do agree with you though. Seems unfair.
    i know right, who doesn't want to be a worgen monk. if blood elves can be monks with there stupid hairdos and pencil thin wastes, why not a hulking wolf man.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    Most likely it's because worgen start off in walled-off Gilneas and goblins start off on Kezan, and they couldn't figure out a plausible way to put a pandaren monk trainer in either place.
    If worgen were so closed off, how did Arthas get some to make them death knights before the wall was broken?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    If worgen were so closed off, how did Arthas get some to make them death knights before the wall was broken?
    Remember how Arugal had a whole village of worgen and a whole keep of worgen in Silverpine?

They came from there, according to the worgen you have to kill in the DK starter.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

As Blizzard says on the making-of DVD Worgen and Goblins can't be monks because of their starter zone. Worgen start in a shut down Gilneas and lorewise it's impossible to add a Pandaren to this zone. Goblins start on Kezan and being a monk just doesn't fit their lore because they are greedy and like to create chaos instead of peace.

Adding a Pandaren in the Draenei starting zone isn't such a big thing because lorewise the monk trainer left the wandering isle so long ago and just happened to be there when they crashed.

They thought about making a monk only starting zone like they did for DK but that would have been too much work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    well apparently the excuse (lets call it excuse not lore) for that was some people that were outside gilneas who got turned into worgen in shadowfang keep by Archmage Arugal, and those worgen went wandering around and got killed and turned into deathknights.
    Perfectly plausible excuse right?
    #boycottchina

well apparently the excuse (lets call it excuse not lore) for that was some people that were outside gilneas who got turned into worgen in shadowfang keep by Archmage Arugal, and those worgen went wandering around and got killed and turned into deathknights.
    it is indeed, after arugal died there was no one left to control the worgen so they were free to wander as they pleased.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Pyrewood_Village

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=49355#comments

Pyrewood village had been around since WAY before Cata was even a blip on the radar and Harford states you're from there.

The end. It's not an excuse, it's valid. However, lore-wise, that means worgen DKs would be pretty tiny in comparison to the populations of, say, humans (but what can you do about that; players gonna play what they want.)

And please remember this is coming from a person who hates the "lore" they made about the worgen to excuse them into being a playable race. But if people want to accept that, they have to accept the other bullshit, too.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

Has nothing to do with Lore. It is all about technical difficulties. Gilneas and Kezahn are both instance servers. It would take a major amount of hours and funding to pay devs to sit and write in the Monk code for these two starter zones, the same way we would have to write code for Pandas in Ebonhold. It is not a matter of lore, it is a matter of "not right now". At some point, every race, will play every class, and will get to pick between either faction at this ungodly rate of homogenization.

Let's just enjoy what we have for now and understand that eventually, Blizz will cave, and all of the above will inevitably be the FINAL move on their part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lore, and their is nothing wrong with that. Not every race should be every class.
    For the night is dark and full of terrors