Thread: That feeling.

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

That feeling.

Anyone else have that feeling of that something is missing.
    Have had that feeling since the launch of the game anyone else got this feeling?
    Don’t get me wrong i love the game and the world of Tyria.
    hmm maybe i just have not found my preferred class yet to play the game with.

I definitely agree, I enjoy the game, but there is always something about it that just throws me off a bit.

Deleted
    I felt same way when I bought gw2, every mmo I've played I'm usually always a caster, even in gw was elementalist, bought two levelled ele again and just felt a bit like not bothering to login, rolled guardian two nights ago to try melee and my love for the game is back

GW2 is just not an overly deep or compulsive game. That isn't to say that GW2 doesn't have a degree of depth or compulsion to the gameplay. As it certainly does in many gameplay instances and enjoyed by many players.

The differences in style and philosophy bear this out especially vis-a-vis games which are strictly designed to be compulsive. Or have some ongoing depth outside of basic play. Essentially, a meta.

It is very likely that players who enjoyed other forms of MMO have some lingering, erm... expectation of the genre that might be absent or de-emphasized in Guild Wars 2.

Kinda just a matter of understanding the style and nature of Guild Wars 2 as casual play focused. Or at least, far less compulsive than say Everquest or Asheron's Call.

That's probably the flu coming on.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play a lot of MMO's but they all lack something that makes me go back to wow. Again and again this happens. I think it is just that "a feeling" this isn't my game, I belong somewhere elese. That and the commitment to characters/accounts.. you just can't leave all that behind (for me at least)

Well if you have played a game for 5/6/7/8 years, it's hard to just leave all of that behind.

Quote Originally Posted by MMOTotal View Post
    I play a lot of MMO's but they all lack something that makes me go back to wow.
    That "something" is comfort. Nothing more. You even admit as such in post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Comfort is part of it, I'm sure. There's also (generally) a lot of people you've met and know, a lot of time invested in characters and maybe some things you're actually a little proud of. WoW also has the advantage of a lot of external elements...things like the Armory and WoWProgress that you can look at and maybe feel a little more connected to the community in some way.
    It's definitely the people for me. I like raiding with my friends, and the community on my server is great (obviously ymmv on that one). Investment in characters isn't a big factor for me because gear essentially gets reset every tier and expansion. My toons from Vanilla to Wrath are all collecting dust on a server I no longer play on.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

here's also (generally) a lot of people you've met and know, a lot of time invested in characters and maybe some things you're actually a little proud of
    Totally. Comfort.

I agree and I think it is the RPG part of MMOs that is missing. It took me a while to realize it myself ... I am not a roleplayer by any means ... but that still doesn't mean that I don't want to love my character and, in doing so, breathe some life into him and know his personality. However, because of the Personal Story, we are told what are character is like and how he sounds and what he says. We have hardly any say in who he is (and those ferocious/dignified/charming choices are all very superficial and actually often times the choices contradict the cut scenes). Furthermore, the lack of character-building depth (and defined class roles) further waters down the RPG aspect (for me anyways). There isn't much FLAVOR between classes that really give them an identity.

Player power is an issue for me ... for 80 levels I do not feel like I am growing stronger, in am important aspect of RPGs. In fact, for most the time I feel worker than even the smallest of MOBs, like Fireflies and Deer. I just don't think sacrificing player power and growth to make leveling "difficult" (I would call GW2 leveling "busy" not difficult since all the mobs are basically the same and just requires you to kite n dodge n repeat) is good RPG design. As a hero of Tyria, I want to feel like I am growing more powerful and not like your average jungle larvae could kill me in three hits.

The complete lack of factions also fuels this feeling for me -- which is superficial but it gives PvP more purpose. WvW just seems silly ... why are we fighting over those things and with whom? I don't always NEED a logical reason for things in my MMOs, but I do admit I liked not liking the Alliance, even if just for fun.

Just a couple of examples where I think GW2 fails in the RPG department and gives this game a lack of THAT FEELING. Mileage may vary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MMOTotal View Post
    I play a lot of MMO's but they all lack something that makes me go back to wow. Again and again this happens. I think it is just that "a feeling" this isn't my game, I belong somewhere elese. That and the commitment to characters/accounts.. you just can't leave all that behind (for me at least)
    I had no problems walking away after chasing after a trinket with a microscopic drop rate on a ginormous loot table on 2 difficulties for 6 months to have it drop in LFR and some feral druid snatch it and go TROLOLOLOL - a trinket I needed to get on a decent RBG team since my server was dead as a doornail.

Left a legendary heroic geared Savior of Azeroth warlock with over 800k gold and 4 bank tabs full of rare items. She sits right where I logged out after raid, forever 85 and I could care less.
    Valar morghulis

its because they give you everything. you barely have to work to get your skills, you barely have to work on levelling as long as you do everything on the table (ignore one and you start to grind up on ones you already have), theres no soul. dynamic quests in other games were used like the strawberry on top of that awesome dessert. it was unique, not found in a huge abundance and made it so worthwhile. so arenanet, sorry, but were lazy. they took out any 'need' to rope you in with a story (scouts are a joke, may as well give you a gps marker and say 'here, you can do all this') and theres just very little interaction or any depth to what you do.

even a wow npc, while having to kill 10 spiders, has a fairly detailed log as to why he wants you to do it etc. and you know what i love? i dont ever have to do it again. dynamic events take away the RPG aspect because they repeat, so all your work as a 'hero' is LOST for the sake of cheap and lazy design.

gw2 just doesnt have a smidge of what gw1 had. not even close. i can still log into gw1 and be enthralled with the experience. why? because the npcs (heroes, henchmen, towns folk) all had personality. despite being 95% instanced the world felt more alive than gw2 ever did.

So...you ragequit over a single piece of gear? Sheesh. =O
    see, gw2 doesnt deserve to be pulled over the coals because, well its the golden child of mmos. saying you like wow more gets you laughed at because, clearly, the 8 year old, biggest mmo STILL is somehow dying, failing and clearly child like (but making a shaved rat is normal...asura anyone).

see, people ragequit in wow because they think blizzard should tailor the game to THEM. somehow if they are ignored, blizzard the illuminati world enders are outed, and arenanet are the saviour.

however, with all of anets big talk about cooperation, better community etc, it died faster than ever. why? because theres no competition. its like being in a hippy commune where all the rejects who couldnt get anywhere in life just not need to bathe for a week, have a crappy hair style, rock up and be accepted because unemployment is the new employment there lol

they cant even get drops right in the game. 0.5 silver at level 1. 1.5 silver at level 80 <---- a hero's pay to be sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    So...you ragequit over a single piece of gear? Sheesh. =O
    A single piece of gear that gated the content I wanted to do.
    Being "good" one season and "bad" the next because of said gear.
    A company that puts microscopic drop rates on such gear to keep you paying monthly fees.

A community full of trolls and ninja looters.

Guild Wars 2 feels fair to me. I am rewarded commesurate with my contribution as everyone else is on a boss kill. Everyone contributes in this game - no slackers, no feral druids pulling 6k dps taking your gear then mocking you.

I'm not a masochist
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    A single piece of gear that gated the content I wanted to do.
    Being "good" one season and "bad" the next because of said gear.
    A company that puts microscopic drop rates on such gear to keep you paying monthly fees.

A community full of trolls and ninja looters.

Guild Wars 2 feels fair to me. I am rewarded commesurate with my contribution as everyone else is on a boss kill. Everyone contributes in this game - no slackers, no feral druids pulling 6k dps taking your gear then mocking you.

I'm not a masochist
    rewarded with what? fair crappy loot drops? LOL ok dude. and rage quiting over gear is just immature. if you knew anything about mmos, having things to work towards and not having everything given to you like some spoilt brat is what keeps people playing longer.

otherwise, gw2 would still be full of players. funny how anet wont say the average player base that logs in per week. i guess 400k was the only time it hit its peak.

I just bought this game two days ago and still have yet to play it. I am super excited though because I have been yearning for that feeling I got originally when I started playing WoW years ago and the world and adventure seemed limitless. I quit WoW because of losing that feeling. GW2 will make me feel that sense of adventure again!
    "Three Apples changed the World, 1st one seduced Eve, 2nd fell on Newton, and the 3rd was offered to the World half bitten by Steve Jobs."

Doesn't World of Warcraft have a system for loot rolls where only classes which can use an item are able to roll on it?

Would be sorta impossible for someone to "ninja: an item they are eligible to roll on. Seems kinda unrealistic to expect strangers to not roll on something they are entitled to because of your past efforts. I mean how would the Sally Standsinfire know? And more importantly, why would Sally care if LoLvinity has spent 2 months farming for said item?

I am no expert n modern incarnation of World of Warcraft. But I did play the game from it's alpha state to 2nd expansion. It was never a thing to expect strangers to not roll on items they were eligible for when I played WoW. I have only seen the "ninja looter" tag repeated in MMOs with FFA PVP looting. Which to my knowledge World of Warcraft isn't...

"Jerk! You ninja'd the mob I was waiting for!" I have seen in a number of MMOs. But that's the nature of selfish systems like Rift/SWTOR/Tera or WoW. If WoW still has world bosses that is.

I greatly prefer GW2 personalized loot system. I mean I can't roll on a Cleric 2h as a Rogue anyway. Why the illusion of a "roll for loot" window? Cut out the fucking middle man of loot box popups for shit I can't use, sell or roll on. Useless gesture in the modern MMO.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-12-06 at 04:56 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MmoFanatic View Post
    Anyone else have that feeling of that something is missing.
    Have had that feeling since the launch of the game anyone else got this feeling?
    Don’t get me wrong i love the game and the world of Tyria.
    hmm maybe i just have not found my preferred class yet to play the game with.
    The features Im missing they already agreed are in fact missing. If you play spvp as well it's just a matter of wait and see, updates are promised in january/february

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I had no problems walking away after chasing after a trinket with a microscopic drop rate on a ginormous loot table on 2 difficulties for 6 months to have it drop in LFR and some feral druid snatch it and go TROLOLOLOL - a trinket I needed to get on a decent RBG team since my server was dead as a doornail.

Left a legendary heroic geared Savior of Azeroth warlock with over 800k gold and 4 bank tabs full of rare items. She sits right where I logged out after raid, forever 85 and I could care less.
    So someone won the roll on an item and you quit the game, an item you did absolutely not need for rbg's, it in no way gated content a lot of lies tied up in that comment. Edited for fencers , a single trinket never gated PvP though. I didnt insinuate either, I clearly stated it, an RBG team not accepting someone based on one trinket and not ability is the dumbest thing I've heard.
    This feeling was there all the time I played, fencers might be right in that its comfort, but thats only part of it for me.
    Last edited by mmoc80aa88b997; 2012-12-06 at 07:38 AM.