Poll: Which is the worst casting decision in movie history?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Movies] Worst Casting in Movie History

So I've been foaming at the mouth for a while about the Jack Reacher movie. As a fan of the books, I could not, for the life of me, understand why they cast for the role of Jack Reacher (six-foot-five and 250 pounds of muscle, heavily scarred, unattractive, blonde hair and blue eyes) the actor Tom Cruise (who has none of those characteristics). Then I saw an interview with the author, who insisted that the character's size was a metaphor for him being an unstoppable force, which Tom Cruise portrays "in his own way". Now I can't decide if that's legitimate artistic license which I don't happen to agree with, OR a bad casting decision backed up by hypocritical greed.

So I found some other commonly-cited examples and I'm letting you make the decision. Which of these represents the worst casting decision ever made? And if you select "other" please give details!

EDIT: Remember when voting that there is a difference between a bad casting decision, and either a role OR actor who just sucks to begin with. A lot of people think George Clooney is a good actor, but don't understand how he became Batman, for example. George Lazenby's Bond is almost universally proclaimed the worst, but the writing and the role of that god-awful movie are more responsible than the American actor.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2012-12-05 at 08:17 PM.

Don't worry - they cast everyone around Tom cruise - so to make him seem 6'5" - they just cast people who are 5' tall. But I think you are missing your Poll. I'll just give you mine, Don't like how they keep changing the race of people in marvel movies to not be what their original race is... so basically anyone cast to play a marvel character that was one race in the comics and a completely different race in the movies.

I assume they just wanted a big name actor for the role and since he's done well with the Mission Impossible series they figured he'd be a good selling point. There's also the fact that a lot of people who will go see the movie have probably never read/heard of the Jack Reacher books so they will have no idea what he's supposed to look like. Also, I'm not seeing any poll here. But I am also not a big fan of artistic license when it comes to things like this.

Deleted
    Tss, Keanue Reeves is awesome!

10+ Year Old Account
    Poll took me a while because I couldn't narrow down the options enough. Sorry for the delay, but go ahead and vote!

Am I allowed to say Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan? If so, her

Anything starring Ryan Reynolds

I'd say the whole Avatar: The Last Airbender casting is fail. It's worse than any given choise in poll

Just curious as to when Marvel has cast characters of a different race (in a role that matters, background characters are irrelevant imho)?

Personally I don't care about the race of the actor vs. that of the comic as long as the actor portrays the character how I want to see them portrayed (read: not like Ryan Reynolds in the Wovlie movie).

Deleted
    Most definitely Hayden Christensen... God, I hated him on Star Wars, jebus...

As for Keanu Reeves, I loved him on The Matrix, I haven't really watched any other movies with him so I don't really know him overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrealle View Post
    Just curious as to when Marvel has cast characters of a different race (in a role that matters, background characters are irrelevant imho)?

Personally I don't care about the race of the actor vs. that of the comic as long as the actor portrays the character how I want to see them portrayed (read: not like Ryan Reynolds in the Wovlie movie).
    Before they turned Ryan Reynolds into dude peel, he was a great deadpool with his witty antics and verbal flair. then they ruined it. I would fullly support a Deadpool movie staring Ryan Reynolds.

---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 08:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Most definitely Hayden Christensen... God, I hated him on Star Wars, jebus...

As for Keanu Reeves, I loved him on The Matrix, I haven't really watched any other movies with him so I don't really know him overall.
    just cus you didnt like him didnt mean he didnt play the role of Ani/DV poorly though.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Will Smith as Muhammed Ali was pretty bad.

Deleted
    Where is Ben Affleck as Daredevil?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amirila View Post
    Am I allowed to say Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan? If so, her
    I like this answer. Kristen Stewart cast in anything should be on the list. That troll has two emotions on screen: weary and "bad teeth."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faklor View Post
    Where is Ben Affleck as Daredevil?
    This really.
    Also disliked Edward Norton as The Hulk

I like this answer. Kristen Stewart cast in anything should be on the list. That troll has two emotions on screen: weary and "bad teeth."
    And this... hahahaha. Yeah she's pretty bad.

Deleted
    The entirety of the cast of Avatar: The Last Airbender, the live movie. It's also one of the worst movies ever made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    I'd say the whole Avatar: The Last Airbender casting is fail. It's worse than any given choise in poll

God I couldn't agree more, such a farce of an excellent animated series

10+ Year Old Account
    Robert De Niro in Analyze This, no no nooooo robert your not funny we love you as a drama person, but comedies nooo.
    Keanu Reeves in Dracula was waiting for him to break character and do some narly jokes, wow dude your teeth are pointy
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Deleted
    Entire cast of Solomon Kane movie. Such horrid acting should be punishable.

Deleted
    George Clooney as Batman
    Arnold Schwarzeneggar as Mr Freeze
    Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy
    Chris O'Donnell as Robin
    Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl

Halle Berry as Catwoman