Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    My deeply religious grandmother used to give me a bible ever year when I was younger.

Should mention that I hate religion.
    Last edited by Sandrox; 2012-12-12 at 01:22 PM.

First World Problems

I remember back when the Wii was coming out I told my Mom I wanted one. And I also told her back in August to pre-order because they were going to be impossible to get around the holidays. So when Xmas came around I got Twilight Princess, and no Wii. She didn't believe me at all and felt really shitty because the holidays aren't that big with her and she got a new wedding ring and engagement ring from my Dad. I think I got my Wii in February and only played a couple of games since I was going to college and had no time or money.

I don't really give gifts or like to receive them and usually ask for money to pay bills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trucidor

"Oh, Tirion's having a carnival!"

I can never decide if this gets harder or easier the older I get! Now my brother and sister are in the same boat as me, living in houses, working, not scraping the bottom of the money barrel... it's so awkward to know what to get them. I hate "useless" gifts like hampers and stuff, full of wierd overpriced tiny portions of things nobody wants to eat. You can't really give money to people after a certain age imo. The last couple of years I have settled for nice homeware for their houses, it's not exactly thrilling, but one of the few things I like recieving these days is stylish, good quality practical kitchenware / homeware etc as it's always useful.

Tbh the biggest drain for us as a couple is we are hitting / have hit the age where people in our families are dropping kids, and that really makes for an expensive christmas with a ton of kids to buy for as well. Especially when you don't plan on having any yourself :<

10+ Year Old Account
    A few years back I found my personal solution so I don't have to worry about finding suitable gifts. I just bake brownies and cookies and everybody gets the same, problem solved.
    It's miles better than receiving socks or underwear, a popular gift by my brother.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Deleted
    I got a pink vibrator.

I'M NOT FUCKING GAY!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Last year I got EIGHT gift cards to Starbucks from various secret santas from work and such.
    I really really dislike Starbucks....so I ended up giving them to my mother and sister. I'm glad they were happy to use them at least. I do love coffee, but I've only ever walked around with cups from a local family owned cafe or something I brought from home.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvelisse View Post
    I got a face sauna once, not really my thing. and i gave a alarm clock radio... pretty cheap
    sometimes you just don't know what a person wants!
    Does this mean getting your ass kicked (in finland face sauna means same as beating somebody up) or literally some kind of sauna to face only? (I can't imagine what that would be like)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meari View Post
    o.O I didn't even know this was a thing. I can only imagine the horror.. I have enough trouble breathing in a regular sauna!
    To be honest before i got it i never heard of it either. i just found the thought scary of putting my face in a small object with hot water beneath it.
    Ofcourse then i had to read on the internet to see what most people said and every now and then you can a horror story....

Quote Originally Posted by Sirtus View Post
    Does this mean getting your ass kicked (in finland face sauna means same as beating somebody up) or literally some kind of sauna to face only? (I can't imagine what that would be like)
    The second one! It looks kind of like a toilet seat =/ or atleast i think it does. I don't even know where it is today

I've never been one who enjoys to receive gifts, I have always loved being the gift giver.
    The only part of Christmas I really enjoy is watching my friends and family open the gifts I gave them, and seen the smile on their faces. I do my best to put a lot of thought into whatever gift I'm buying for someone.

Although like the OP I have a brother that is a dick and I couldn't give two fucks what I purchase for him. I'm in the same situation, I always make sure I buy nice gifts for him, and he might as well just give me a lump of coal its that bad. I don't really care too much about what I receive at Christmas, but year after year, after year its gets annoying.

Deleted
    I'm looking forward to getting some socks this year. My ones are currently holey or mismatched based on different shades of the same colour.

I got a new $2,000 computer! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Dsfunctional View Post
    I've never been one who enjoys to receive gifts, I have always loved being the gift giver.
    The only part of Christmas I really enjoy is watching my friends and family open the gifts I gave them, and seen the smile on their faces. I do my best to put a lot of thought into whatever gift I'm buying for someone.
    My thing is, when I see something that someone would like, but not think of/ get for themselves, I'll gift it. But deciding "hey, I still need to get X people gifts" doesn't work well for me. I don't buy gifts just to get people something. I don't buy for most folks, and don't want anything from anyone either. If I get a gift that's even somewhat close to something I may have possibly wanted, it's fine. When you get some left field gift that obviously shows the person has no clue what to get you and just felt obligated to get you something? Meh, I'll pass.

The funniest thing of course, is Christmas day, seeing the folks shopping in the toy section of the pharmacy. Nothing says "I care" like a gift bought on the way to someones house.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellarus View Post
    I got a new $2,000 computer! ^_^
    wish i would get something that expensive for christmas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    wish i would get something that expensive for christmas.
    Nah. If I'm going to get something that expensive, it's going to be something that's going to last, not something that's technically outdated in 3 years. Materials for my stacking block wall, new livingroom sofa set, things like that.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

It's totally customizable. I can pull parts out and put upgraded stuffs in. :3

A pink Woody the Woodpecker backpack from my great aunt when I was around 15. I'm 23 now and buy whatever I need. Clothes are nice and I like books, but other than that I don't like receiving gifts.