Thread: Hypocrisy.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
LastLast
  1. #141
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    32,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    For some reason the built in filter doesn't trigger with poop, as it looks. Or the toons were created before then...
    Blizzard has such filter in place that blocks certain words right away.
    They do have some filters, though enterprising people can find a way around them if necessary.



  2. #142
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodpoop View Post
    But there is something you can do to change their policy. Policies can be affected by player imput, that's exactly what i am trying to do right now. And yes having 12 poop quests in the game and saying the word poop is a bannable offense is hypocrisy. But I thank all of you for your imput.
    Yeah, we COULD raise a huge shitstorm on official forums, start <REVERT BLOODPOOPS NAME> guilds on every server, and just generally be asshats about it. OR we could not give a fuck about your immature name and the fact Blizzard (rightly) forced a change after it was reported by MULTIPLE USERS. It takes a certain number of name reports before the automated system even decides to pass it off to a real human being for review. Also, it was mentioned that the name could be reminiscent of some diseases. I've lost family members to colon cancer, and potentially could have lost myself had it not been discovered as quickly as it was, therefore that point is valid too.

  3. #143
    I guess what happened is, someone got mad at Bloodpoop (lol) and they reported him saying his name is offensive, purely to get back at him. Dunno, maybe you killed a rare and someone behind you was just about to tag it but you got there first, he reported you in his anger, saying your name is offensive, he feels a little better while you get the consequences later on. Just a theory, probably what happened, enough name complaints stacked up to force you to do a name change. :P

    Anyway, point is to pick names others can't report you for, people are weird, they do what they can when they get mad over trivial things, especially in WoW. I have my personal stalker whispering me "I remember" each time he logs on and sees me on, because I tagged a rare before he could. The difference between you and me, Bloodpoop, is he can't report me for my name, hehe. :P


    Aeryana: "Gentlemen, we have a highlander."

  4. #144
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    13,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    No, it's not. No more than orcs, elves, dwarves, spellcasting and the like is. Mithril is used in piles of books, games, and mythologies. In fact:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithril
    Yes it is...... Read your own link more closely...
    All of Tolkiens terms are trademarked and copyrighted. The source is even mentioned.
    Just because it's used by others doesn't say anything about how the right owners execute their business.. We don't know how many pay for using the terms, and how much they pay.

  5. #145
    Brewmaster Detheavn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Nether .... lands
    Posts
    1,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Since poop is ALL OVER the game, and there's even a quest in Grizzly Hills to shit your brains out, I wouldn't say "poop" is against a naming policy by any means, or Blizzard needs to modify a TON of their quests and objects.
    Poop may still be against the naming policy because it's not a name in itself. Then again, his name wasn't Poop, but Bloodpoop.

    Since Garrosh calls Sylvanas a Bitch, does it mean we can include Bitch in names? In some cases context is applicable.

  6. #146
    Stood in the Fire Sforza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Some place far
    Posts
    392
    Rename him "Rapeartist"

  7. #147
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    13,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Technically it's trademarked, not copyrighted (you can't copyright individual words like that, usually), but nothing is owed for its usage.
    dumdidum.....
    http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/20/lord...slot-machines/

    If you invent a word/term then it's your copyright.
    There's no difference in item terms, or name terms.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2012-12-06 at 02:39 PM.

  8. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Maybe it was reported, maybe a GM noticed it in game, maybe an employee saw it from playing. Who knows? It doesn't matter. That's like arguing that it is ok to break the law until you get caught, but how dare the police not catch you instantly when you try to hide your activities better the second time.
    Fair enough.

  9. #149
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    12,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
    I guess what happened is, someone got mad at Bloodpoop (lol) and they reported him saying his name is offensive, purely to get back at him. Dunno, maybe you killed a rare and someone behind you was just about to tag it but you got there first, he reported you in his anger, saying your name is offensive, he feels a little better while you get the consequences later on. Just a theory, probably what happened, enough name complaints stacked up to force you to do a name change. :P
    Even at the worst case scenario...if this is what happened...there's a valuable lesson here.

    Let's review?

    1) Don't create a name that is in violation of the naming policy.
    2) There are consequences for being an asshat in the game.
    3) Put 1 and 2 together and you will certainly be facing a name change in the near future.

    So you see kids, if you don't let 1 or 2 factor into your play you will tend to have less issues than someone like Mr. Grossname who probably was an asshole to someone.

  10. #150
    The naming policy is a separate entity from what is acceptable to say or not to say in the game.

    That being said, your name is terrible and you should be thankful for the free rename.
    HEAVIEST: 361 lbs.
    CURRENT: 257.6 lbs.
    GOAL: Healthy 185 by end of 2014.

  11. #151
    Immortal Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    7,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Technically it's trademarked, not copyrighted (you can't copyright individual words like that, usually), but nothing is owed for its usage.
    *Rolls eyes* because Wikipedia is always right and the people who edit it knows the differences between the two :P (Hell, I don't even fucking know the differences between TM and C XD)

    Retired Veteran Raider: [T14] 10/16H, [T15] 12/13H, [T16] 7/14H
    BTag: Polarthief#1411 (send me a PM or something; I remove randoms w/o notice)

  12. #152
    Immortal Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    7,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    Poop may still be against the naming policy because it's not a name in itself. Then again, his name wasn't Poop, but Bloodpoop.

    Since Garrosh calls Sylvanas a Bitch, does it mean we can include Bitch in names? In some cases context is applicable.
    No, because Garrosh will be dead soon, so it won't even matter

    Also, what about my name? It sure as hell isn't a name... (Referring to character name in signature, not my MMO-Champ name)

    Retired Veteran Raider: [T14] 10/16H, [T15] 12/13H, [T16] 7/14H
    BTag: Polarthief#1411 (send me a PM or something; I remove randoms w/o notice)

  13. #153
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    13,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    *Rolls eyes* because Wikipedia is always right and the people who edit it knows the differences between the two :P (Hell, I don't even fucking know the differences between TM and C XD)
    Voila....
    http://www.lawmart.com/forms/difference.htm

  14. #154
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    32,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_the_wor...protected_word
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Mithril

    Look, it doesn't matter how many ways you want to swing it. Mithril is not a copyrighted word. I'm pretty sure even the original link about being trademarked is wrong as everything I've finding says it's not. It's used in real-world company names today, video games, books from all over, clothing, names...the list goes on.

    In fact, there is a trademark for it by another company: http://www.trademarkia.com/mithril-85113977.html for use in that specific field. That doesn't mean that World of Warcraft can't feature a mithril ore. That's as ridiculous as saying they can't have iron, gold, saronite, adamantium...or any other kind of ore that might have been written about somewhere else.



  15. #155
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    12,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Yes it is...
    wrong Government Source

    What Is Not Protected by Copyright?
    Several categories of material are generally not eligible forfederal copyright protection. These include among others:
    • titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols
    or designs; mere variations of typographic ornamentation,
    lettering, or coloring; mere listings of ingredients or contents

  16. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    "Redguano" sounds better, tbh.
    or Crimsonguano. You can use a thesaurus for Blood and for Poop and just combine the two Honestly though, either way, anyone who would willingly name himself bloodpoop is probably not old enough to vote. Just my .02

  17. #157
    Brewmaster Detheavn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Nether .... lands
    Posts
    1,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Also, what about my name? It sure as hell isn't a name... (Referring to character name in signature, not my MMO-Champ name)
    Indeed, what name?

  18. #158
    The naming policy is very subjective, and Blizz does get to make the final call. The faster you understand that, the better off you'll be

    As far as my subjective view - "bloodpoop" has a much different vibe from any of the quests in game that were mentioned. So I don't consider it hypocrisy at all.

  19. #159
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    13,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_the_wor...protected_word
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Mithril

    Look, it doesn't matter how many ways you want to swing it. Mithril is not a copyrighted word. I'm pretty sure even the original link about being trademarked is wrong as everything I've finding says it's not. It's used in real-world company names today, video games, books from all over, clothing, names...the list goes on.
    The word doesn't need to be trademarked separately since it's part of the entire work, which is trademarked and copyrighted.
    Just because the Tolkien estate lets others use it, for what ever reason they please, doesn't mean they don't own it.
    They do, and if they please so, they can interfere.. As the lawsuit regarding the online game shows.
    Are you aware of the extent of copyrights in practice?
    Do you know that everything, every single one of us writes here, is subject to copyright, and hence the reason why forum tou's usually include that contributors give up certain rights to protect their property? And it's also the reason why one usually cannot quote from outside sources without linking/specifying the source?

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 08:58 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    wrong Government Source

    What Is Not Protected by Copyright?
    Several categories of material are generally not eligible forfederal copyright protection. These include among others:
    • titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols
    or designs; mere variations of typographic ornamentation,
    lettering, or coloring; mere listings of ingredients or contents
    Now find the text for the DMCA, and the Copyrights for England...

    And.... maybe still quite more complicated than that...
    What Is Not Protected by Copyright? - Names........ Okay.
    So, as long as I don't use the trademark sign, and the name logo, I can go ahead and start selling Nike, Adidas, Porsche, etc etc etc...
    Doesn't matter that I sell crappy stuff...

    Apparently there's more to it, wouldn't you say?

    I give you that difference.....
    What ever someone writes, or creates is automatically subject to copyright,, without the individual having anything special to do at all.
    However, there are exclusions. These exclusions aren't excluded anymore once the works are copyrighted and trademarked as a whole.

    We find this in the music industry times and again. People pay hefty fines, and other settlement payments when they infringe copyright and are caught.
    Famous for example Ice Ice Baby.... Paid millions to Queen for stealing from the song Under Pressure.
    Ghost Busters the song... Paid millions to Hewy Lewis, for stealing from I want a new drug.
    But it's music.... Well, music is written in notes.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2012-12-06 at 03:07 PM.

  20. #160
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    12,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    So, as long as I don't use the trademark sign, and the name logo, I can go ahead and start selling Nike, Adidas, Porsche, etc etc etc...
    Doesn't matter that I sell crappy stuff...

    Apparently there's more to it, wouldn't you say?
    No, since now you are talking about Trademarks. Quit trying to worm your way out of your own words. The word Mithril is not protected by copyright since words can't be copyrighted. Would you like the Polish court case that declared this to be the case as well? Or can you agree you are being obstinate just to try and not look wrong?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •