Thread: Hypocrisy.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
10
LastLast
  1. #161
    Walking into this thread gave me tears to my eyes. The OP is from my server and after a year of reporting his name it finally went through.

  2. #162
    Someone needs to just close this thread. It is getting less and less about the topic and more and more argumentative.

  3. #163
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    32,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    No, since now you are talking about Trademarks. Quit trying to worm your way out of your own words. The word Mithril is not protected by copyright since words can't be copyrighted. Would you like the Polish court case that declared this to be the case as well? Or can you agree you are being obstinate just to try and not look wrong?
    Exactly. Wildtree, you're dead wrong. Mithril, even if it was trademarked, is not copyrighted. I can't even find any real verification that it's trademarked anywhere, either, and the evidence suggests that it's not due to the sheer number of books, games, and companies that use the word Mithril.

    Secondly, where do you get the idea that whatever we type here is copyrighted? No, it's not. It's owned by MMOC for their usage, but it's not copyrighted. Copyright takes money and time, it's not some automatic process that occurs because you write something down on a sheet of paper. You have to apply and be approved. There are limited protections for intellectual works but none of our posts here would even come close to qualifying for that.



  4. #164
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    13,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    There are limited protections for intellectual works but none of our posts here would even come close to qualifying for that.
    I am offended. Where's the report name button on here...

  5. #165
    Scarab Lord Chonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Walking into this thread gave me tears to my eyes. The OP is from my server and after a year of reporting his name it finally went through.
    I just laughed boisterously in the office. People are looking at me funny.

    "Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my comrade." - Albert Camus

  6. #166
    Pandaren Monk Mnevis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    1,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Eowenn View Post
    You got a name change to something other than Bloodpoop.

    I would be happy.
    Best post.

    Especially if it's true, OP, that you came up with such a stupid name because you're a blood elf and your vocabulary is that of a feral 12yr old. But I don't buy that for a second; you made that name to try to shock and offend people, guess what, you succeeded. Congratulations. And congratulations to whoever got your name changed, he made you madder than you probably made him. You both win. Now think of a non-imbecilic name.

    I don't really see how quests having to do with excrement have any relevance here.

  7. #167
    I always report offensive names. Always. Even the funny ones.

  8. #168
    Brewmaster Detheavn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Nether .... lands
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Apparently there's more to it, wouldn't you say?
    Yes there is more to it.

    To take your examples:
    Nike is a registered trademark of Nike, Inc.
    Adidas is a registered trademark of Adidas AG.
    Porsche is a registered trademark of Porsche Automobil Holding SE.
    Those companies have clearly done their homework better than some people.

    Also, selling the same stuff, or in the same sector under the same name? Not going to happen.

    Apple basically registered their iPad as trademark in practically every country and struck a deal with Taiwan's Proview to be able to sell the iPad under that name in Taiwan as well. However Apple thought since they struck the deal with Proview that they could release the iPad in china under that name as well, not realizing that Proview Taiwan != Proview China. They had to settle in court for $60m.

    As for "everything you write is copyrighted". Yes, that much is true, the actual writing is copyrighted, but content like made up names and whatnot are certainly not trademarked.

  9. #169
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    14,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    No, since now you are talking about Trademarks. Quit trying to worm your way out of your own words. The word Mithril is not protected by copyright since words can't be copyrighted. Would you like the Polish court case that declared this to be the case as well? Or can you agree you are being obstinate just to try and not look wrong?
    If you deliver valid proof, I'm more than happy to comply and admit to be wrong.
    But so far you couldn't.
    If what you say would be true, every lawsuit in regard of copyright violation would be obsolete, and even more so every successful lawsuit would be wrong judgement.

    I suggest, you start digging into the Tolkien Estate a little deeper...
    Because chances are, that you will find the answer that way. The Tolkien Estate sold the rights to the already mentioned company. It's at their discretion now.
    Let's say your claim's are right. Then there should not be any difference between the term Mithril and the name Hobbit alone, am I correct?

    Then how come that the current rights holder has issues with small pubs?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-17350103
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-15825960

  10. #170

  11. #171
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I'm quite certain that "Ook you in the dooker" is not meant to refer to anal sex. He's talking about punching you in the nose.
    Well okey, let's say it means punch you in the nose... For Blizzard.. But many other ppl thinks it is about anal rape.. (first time we were doing the instance 4/5 ppl was like: " What? That monkey's gonna rape my ass?"..) That is kinda the same as OP explained his name consist of two words Blood, cos he is blood elf and poop, cos nothing else came to his mind while someone might think about pooping blood...
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkiah View Post
    "you need to understand that my computer and i have a relationship that was here before i met you, and will be here long after we break up. if i could have sex with the CD-rom drive, you would be irrelevant. just so we're clear on this"

  12. #172
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    14,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    Yes there is more to it.

    To take your examples:
    Nike is a registered trademark of Nike, Inc.
    Adidas is a registered trademark of Adidas AG.
    Porsche is a registered trademark of Porsche Automobil Holding SE.
    Those companies have clearly done their homework better than some people.

    Also, selling the same stuff, or in the same sector under the same name? Not going to happen.

    Apple basically registered their iPad as trademark in practically every country and struck a deal with Taiwan's Proview to be able to sell the iPad under that name in Taiwan as well. However Apple thought since they struck the deal with Proview that they could release the iPad in china under that name as well, not realizing that Proview Taiwan != Proview China. They had to settle in court for $60m.

    As for "everything you write is copyrighted". Yes, that much is true, the actual writing is copyrighted, but content like made up names and whatnot are certainly not trademarked.
    I know, I was being provocative, by using extremes...
    Cause the trademark laws referring to the use of the trademark symbol too. I was just spinning it around a bit
    Because I believe that the others spinning/interpreting the situation too, and as wrong as I did purposely.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2012-12-06 at 03:24 PM.

  13. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    There is no elegance in quests that make you have to pick berries from poop, or take a shit yourself, I personally have found these quests very, as in VERY distasteful, although this is the first time I've ever mentioned it to anyone. I don't like breaking the illusion of my toon being perfect due to quests in middle of quest chains like this.
    Perfect? Did you never read "Everybody Poops"? It's part of life. The fact that your toon happens to have a foul spray-nova fart radius doesn't make you any less perfect. We all still love you.

  14. #174
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    14,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Secondly, where do you get the idea that whatever we type here is copyrighted? No, it's not. It's owned by MMOC for their usage, but it's not copyrighted. Copyright takes money and time, it's not some automatic process that occurs because you write something down on a sheet of paper. You have to apply and be approved. There are limited protections for intellectual works but none of our posts here would even come close to qualifying for that.
    it is copyrighted... Hence this line in the Terms of Service from Curse:

    By submitting, posting or displaying User Submissions on, to, or through Curse Websites (or its successors and affiliates), you grant Curse, Inc. a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferrable, royalty-free right to use, reproduce, distribute, display,
    there's more... you can read it up.
    That text is essentially found in every single forum terms around the world.
    You are under the big misconception that copyright has to be applied for. That's not the case. It's automatically.
    You can go further and register works to protect them even more.

    And we shouldn't really derail the thread much more... All I did was giving a few examples where Blizzard shows no problem with using sources borrowed elsewhere. The whole game is filled with outside references.
    Doesn't change the subject that the OP's name is profanity and therefore he has to change it. And I support it.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2012-12-06 at 03:39 PM.

  15. #175
    Mechagnome Sharrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in Azeroth
    Posts
    592
    I honestly find the amberseed quest highly offensive and gross besides, and refuse to do it on any other toon since the first rather disgusting time.
    Since blizz has forced people to change far less offensive names in the past, dude think of something better really.
    Just wish they would change the more grotesque of their own poop related missions.

  16. #176
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    13,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    If you deliver valid proof, I'm more than happy to comply and admit to be wrong.
    But so far you couldn't.
    If what you say would be true, every lawsuit in regard of copyright violation would be obsolete, and even more so every successful lawsuit would be wrong judgement.

    I suggest, you start digging into the Tolkien Estate a little deeper...
    Because chances are, that you will find the answer that way. The Tolkien Estate sold the rights to the already mentioned company. It's at their discretion now.
    Let's say your claim's are right. Then there should not be any difference between the term Mithril and the name Hobbit alone, am I correct?

    Then how come that the current rights holder has issues with small pubs?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-17350103
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-15825960
    You are blissfully ignorant aren't you? Otherwise just daft.

    The word Hobbit is TRADEMARKED TRADDDEEEDDMMARRRRKLKLKLKED. It is not copyrighted.

    If you would actually read your article that you linked, you would realize it proves you wrong. Again.

    It features characters from Tolkien's stories on its signs, has "Frodo" and "Gandalf" cocktails on the menu, and the face of Lord of the Rings film star Elijah Wood on its loyalty card.
    A letter from SZC asked it to remove all references to the characters.
    The company asserts it has "exclusive worldwide rights to motion picture, merchandising, stage and other rights in certain literary works of JRR Tolkien including The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit".
    Read your own article for proof. Thanks.

    Here's a more recent article to further cement what you are arguing is completely defunct:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...-enlist-394685
    Oh what is that? They are claiming that another movie is infringing on their TRADEMARK. How curious.

  17. #177
    Brewmaster Detheavn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Nether .... lands
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    You are under the big misconception that copyright has to be applied for. That's not the case. It's automatically.
    You can go further and register works to protect them even more.
    Copyright was originally (in really, REALLY confusing wording) not more than just that. The right to replicate said text and/or whatever people choose to include in it nowadays. People have made a terrible mess of 'copyright' to the point where it's hardly used to prove you own something, but rather to "Ook people in the Dooker" with ...

    I guess this is basically the reason why every forum has the rule that anything you type will basically become theirs to print on toilet paper if they deem it necessary
    And we shouldn't really derail the thread much more... All I did was giving a few examples where Blizzard shows no problem with using sources borrowed elsewhere. The whole game is filled with outside references.
    I have rambled enough and will also stop ... for now
    Last edited by Detheavn; 2012-12-06 at 04:03 PM.

  18. #178
    Banned Baar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    8,933

    If you don't like the name and find it offense yes report it.


    Blizzard doesn't go looking for names they depends on players to report them

  19. #179
    I've found that on RP servers, names like "Philiplock" (let's be realistic here) are usually changed after a report, where on regular servers they are not. PVP servers (and to large extent, PVE servers, both non-RP) have ludicrous amounts of names like "Ilikeparties" "Xgankerx," and "Lolqtpie." Surprisingly few have been reported, and if so, aren't changed. Usually names like that are voluntarily changed by the people in control of those characters, as their reputations rapidly plummet because they're usually trade trolls, dishonest, or downright annoying people, and they try to give themselves a clean slate on their server.

    Instead of paying $25 to transfer, I friended a jerk/troll (to keep track of their possible name changes) who paid for three name changes ($30) in order to eventually re-app (and was accepted into) a guild who had previously removed him for inappropriate behavior. I know people who have relentlessly reported others because of some slight they felt had occurred. Usually all this leads to is "Lolqtpie" becoming "Lolqtpies" becoming "Lolqtpiez," etc.

    So while personally I don't find Bloodpoop's name offensive (not anymore so than the hilarious warrior on my former server named "Getpoopedon"), reporting really does nothing to change the overall dynamic to which the reporter is trying to accomplish: That being, never being offended, ever.

    If that's truly the case, get off the Internet.

    To those reporting names: You won't catch 'em all.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/search?q...f=wowcharacter
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/search?q...f=wowcharacter

  20. #180
    Epic! Yosef1015's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Freljord
    Posts
    1,734
    Maybe someones father was found dead on the toilet with bloody poop in the toilet underneath him. Im sure that guy would get offended by your name

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •