RF Taoren or Reg Fang

Hi all,

I just finished Chapter one of the legendary quest and now have the 500 agi gem and the rf gun. I'm currently using the regular version of Fang and Mr. Robot is saying that it is better than the rf gun with the gem. Does anyone know the math?

I'd be losing 227.7 dps and 124 secondary to gain 358 agility.

Thanks

Edit: I play survival.
    Last edited by Tasien; 2012-12-06 at 02:45 AM.

I simmed this for myself on FD. For me, it said reg feng is better however.....i play marks. I'm not sure what spec you are but run yourself through FD and compare the weapon dps weight with agi/secondaries.

Well, the normal version of taoren is better than the H version of fang for me. So I'd assume the same for their counterparts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nangz View Post
    I simmed this for myself on FD. For me, it said reg feng is better however.....i play marks. I'm not sure what spec you are but run yourself through FD and compare the weapon dps weight with agi/secondaries.
    MM is very weapon damage dependent, more so than BM and SV. So that may be why.

*Personally, I'm not going to go for the RF version of taoren because my guild is killing ToES on normal every week and I don't want to waste 10k
    Last edited by Tehstool; 2012-12-06 at 07:45 AM.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    Well, the normal version of taoren is better than the H version of feng for me. So I'd assume the same for their counterparts.
    are you sure about this? I have also assumed this, at least I could persuade the other hunter to leave me Fang normal if it finally drops (He Taoren lfr, me feng lfr)
    :-D of course I'm not just lying cause of greedyness, I really think for BM/SV the Agi compensates the loss in DPS. (for MM not obviously)
    well if n. Taoren > h. Fang => lfr Taoren > n. Fang, because the same difference in itemlevel on a lower level has less impact on stats.
    Last edited by TheTrueM4gg0t; 2012-12-06 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueM4gg0t View Post
    are you sure about this? I have also assumed this, at least I could persuade the other hunter to leave me Fang normal if it finally drops (He Taoren lfr, me feng lfr)
    :-D of course I'm not just lying cause of greedyness, I really think for BM/SV the Agi compensates the loss in DPS. (for MM not obviously)
    well if h. Fang > n. Taoren => n. Fang > lfr Taoren, because the same difference in itemlevel on a lower level has less impact on stats.
    Yep. 100% positive. I think you have your greater/less than signs messed up a bit.

H Taoren > N Taoren > H Fang > LFR Taoren > N Fang > LFR Fang

Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    I think you have your greater/less than signs messed up a bit.
    ups. its early in the morning, well sort of xD. changed post.
    Did you test it somehow? simmd it? Or just an empirical assumption?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueM4gg0t View Post
    ups. its early in the morning, well sort of xD. changed post.
    Did you test it somehow? simmd it? Or just an empirical assumption?
    I simmed H fang VS. N Taoren and the dps difference was pretty big, about ~800. I didn't do any sort of experiment though, I'd need them first XD.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasien View Post
    Hi all,

I just finished Chapter one of the legendary quest and now have the 500 agi gem and the rf gun. I'm currently using the regular version of Fang and Mr. Robot is saying that it is better than the rf gun with the gem. Does anyone know the math?

I'd be losing 227.7 dps and 124 secondary to gain 358 agility.

Thanks

Edit: I play survival.
    Also I believe mr robot has the 550 primary stat version rather than the 500. Just throwing that out there.
    Last edited by Tehstool; 2012-12-06 at 08:07 AM.

Yep. 100% positive. I think you have your greater/less than signs messed up a bit.

H Taoren > N Taoren > H Fang > LFR Taoren > N Fang > LFR Fang
    I would like to insert a wrench into everyones discussion. I have currently N Fang ^2 and LFR Taoren with the 500 gem. which is better? Also if i upgraded LFR Taoren would it be better than N Fang ^2. If so how many upgrades would it take to be better.

Based on my own gear/BM spec/simming...

LFR Taoren ^2 with +500 agi gem > Normal Fang ^2 (not a whole lot though, ~500dps)
    LFR Taoren ^2 NO GEM < Normal Fang ^2

The 500 agility gem is what makes LFR Taoren better, without it you are better of with Fang as it has higher weapon damage. The +2 upgrade is a bigger upgrade on Normal Fang then LFR Taoren, but even still that +500 gem makes it overall better. I currently have Fang and am so tempted to upgrade it, but unfortunately I should hold out for the LFR gun. I would assume SV gets the same results, and MM the difference is probably negligible.

As always, this is just my experience and conclusions based on FemaleDwarf. You should plug the different weapons in and play around some yourself to see if you get anything different. Then verify it in game on a target dummy.

I'd suggest if you don't want to waste 10k gold on a new gem when you get the N-gun, that you use N-fang until then. I will, atleast. (But I'm stuck with a pvp weapon for now, no drops over all these weeks, been in every raid)

As you have allready upgraded n fang twice, stay with that for the time being,
    You probably get more bang for the buck if you use your VP to upgrade other big items (chest helmet trousers trinkets etc)

I simmed the heroic feng (which i have) against the normal Taoren + 500agi gem and Taoren came out on top by about 800 dps. 800 dps is not going to make or break you so really it boils down to personal choice. MY guild isn't going to be killing heroic lei shi in the next few weeks so whenever I get a normal Taoren to drop I'll be slapping the gem in there and trying it out.

Odd.. I actually just ran a couple of tests on femaledwarf.com last night comparing my N-Taoren to H-Fang Kung (got both last night-_-) and the latter came up on top by almost 1k DPS, which I was really surprised to see. For both I reforged with values critical 2.0 / mastery 1.8 / haste 1.2, after the hit/exp caps. It is HIGHLY possible that I didn't make fd detect the +500agl gem, brb!

So ya, I'm stupid! Gotta check that checkbox off! N-Taoren>H-Fang Kung by ~600 DPS with the +500agl gem, no upgrades on either.
    Last edited by timoseewho; 2012-12-06 at 11:05 PM.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

Deleted
    yea the +500 gem (to turn 550 later on)
    is really major deal dps wise.

sadly im still stuck with my gladiator bow, since i cant get a single ranged weapon too drop for me.

15+ Year Old Account
    I must have missed something, does the 500 agi gem turn into a 550 agi gem at some point?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asaki View Post
    I must have missed something, does the 500 agi gem turn into a 550 agi gem at some point?
    When you gather 6000VP for the Wrathion quest, the gem becomes 550stat gem + you get an extra socket on your sha-touched weapon (I think prismatic).

Quote Originally Posted by Asaki View Post
    After you finish "A Test of Valor." Your Sha-Touched weapon also gets a regular socket, so it'll get a total of +710 Agility (550 + 160 from normal socket).

15+ Year Old Account
    Sweet, thanks for the answers guys!

Quote Originally Posted by NeverStop View Post
    After you finish "A Test of Valor." Your Sha-Touched weapon also gets a regular socket, so it'll get a total of +710 Agility (550 + 160 from normal socket).
    That's OP, wasn't aware of that. Very cool.