1. #1

    New mobo/CPU, windows wont boot

    Hey guys, so I just bought a new mobo, CPU, memory and got everything put together but its not loading up windows.. keeps coming up with the safe mode options and ive tried all of them but it just keeps resetting. My understand is that windows wont boot due not recognizing the drivers or something. I do not have a windows disc and have an OEM license, but was told if I had a vista disc I could pop that in and repair and be good to go, but I dont have that either.. Can someone help me out here or point me in the right direction.. dont have the money to go and buy a new license with holidays around the corner

  2. #2
    Brewmaster Cherrypowdah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    1,351
    you did install new windows as you replaced your mobo, right?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    you did install new windows as you replaced your mobo, right?
    no i dont have a new windows license or disc. I never got a disc when I got my comp a few years ago. I was hoping to use my same hard drive and all my info on there

  4. #4
    Brewmaster Cherrypowdah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    1,351
    It is not possible to use an windows OS that was installed on a HDD while another mobo was active. You will need to reinstall your windows whenever you replace your mobo.

  5. #5
    put your old stuff back in, boot to windows and sysprep it, reinstall new hardware, boot up and load drivers.

    http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/i...windows-vista/

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    put your old stuff back in, boot to windows and sysprep it, reinstall new hardware, boot up and load drivers.

    http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/i...windows-vista/
    fml, there isnt an easier way?

    so if im understand this right all i need to do is the command prompt and enter c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /quiet /generalize /shutdown /oobe

    and when it shuts down i can put the new mobo/cpu/memory back in and itll boot up fine?

    and the drivers you are talking about loading are the ones on the CD for the mobo or?
    Last edited by coppafeel; 2012-12-06 at 03:43 AM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by coppafeel View Post
    fml, there isnt an easier way?

    so if im understand this right all i need to do is the command prompt and enter c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /quiet /generalize /shutdown /oobe

    and when it shuts down i can put the new mobo/cpu/memory back in and itll boot up fine?

    and the drivers you are talking about loading are the ones on the CD for the mobo or?
    Actually there is. If you have a disk, then you have it and makes it yourself still a bit easier.

    I just would install your new mobo and install Windows and possibly your license is already used. Just contact Microsoft (a real human pref) and ask if they could fix it for you. They should do it normally.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •