Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Whats the best Self Buff Pet now?

In Cataclysm is was a Cat / Spirit Beast as the obvious first line choice, and 2ndly followed by a Wolf/Devilsuar for Crit.

Now Cat's and Spirit Beast provided Mastery, which is at the bottom of the Barrel for Hunter stat weights at the moment.

Now yes I know that Spirit Beast have a heal that is great, that is extra, I just want to know which pet will give me extra dps because of the buff they give, or the debuff they apply (example: extra physical damage debuff).

If you guys know of a site/chart that has this mapped out please link it, otherwise open for opinions and discussions.

Defenetly serpent/hyena for 10% haste in a pure dps perspective. allthough i consider haste to be the worst 2nd stat, it comes with double the amount thn crit/mas buffs.
    And its nice having a bit of base haste, 2sec Cobras are just lame :-)

mastery is not bottom of the barrel... for BM 3k mastery is about the same damage boost as 5% crit.. i run the sprit beast for that and the heal...

Sporebat.

"Why would you pick a Sporebat!? It gives 5% spell haste!"

Let me explain. Sporebats are quite possibly the greatest weapon a Hunter can have in his/her arsenal. They are the greatest weapon because of their secret ability.

"Secret ability? You lie!"

I'm as truthful as Abraham Lincoln. I would never lie to the great people of the MMO-Champion Hunter forum. The secret ability is limited only to Sporebats, and there is a technique involved in unlocking said ability.

"Assuming this ability exists, how do I unlock it?"

Simple, all you have to do is e͑̐́̓҉͕͖̠̳͚́̕ ̶̘̻̹͎͓̭̟̲͆ͥ́̄̇̏ͦͫ͂͘s̜̲̠ͣ̓͊͆ͨ̚̚͡͞o̸͍̝͑̾̄̽̎ͬ̓̽̍m� �̎̽͑ ̣̫͉̹͚͙͇̮̄̒ͭͫ͟͜͞e̘̖͕̦̖ͯͯ̀̇͂o̖͍͇̪̙͉͚ͧ̓̈́ͭ͆ͧ̑̆͘nͪ͆� �̝͢e ̳̳̩̖̥̭̮̗̐̇͞ ̺͔̪̃͌͛ͧͣ͟e͍̠͙̱̲͇͙͗́ͣͨͧl̡̙ͬ̄ͨ̉̓̄ͯ͡sͪͫ̾̐̊̊͆͏̳̩̱͝� �̣eͯ ̦̫̹̹̘̟̱͊̈̉̓̆ ̼̙̯̩̣̼͇͇̬̔̅ͪ̃ͨ́̒͟w̡̰̻ͯ͝͞h͓͚̗̾ͦ͑ͣ̀́o̷̘̦͍̻͗ͫͩͥ̈̕ ̘͎ ̬̮̻̝͓̻̐͒͂̌͑͛̓͑cͫ̒҉̶̟̘̺̲̹a̵̲̺͈̱̗̙͚̜ͥ̀ͨͤͭn̿̎ͣͨͯ̃� �̘̑͑ ̟͎̳̭͈͍ ̷̤̘͓͈́ͥ͊̾͗̌̎s͓̩̙̆͗̊͐̕p̷͚̗͖͉̲̈̅͂ͣ̏̊ͤ̏́ͅeͮ̏͑̊̅͂̚� �̨̡͓ ̘̮̯ȧ͎͙̭̟͌̋̅ͣ́ͣ͌̊k̠̯͇̰ͩ̃̈̍̊̕ ̢̣͉̬̺ͯͧͤ̈́͡e̶͕̹̤̩̭̣̗̐͑ͯͩ̅̊͘v̵̡̝͈͓͇̓̀̓͘ͅi̅͆ͬ̂̌̌̈� �҉͔̭ l̛͓̀ ̘̺̹͙̯̟̩̲͛͐̌ͥ̋ͭ̍l̟͉̐̓̑̋̿̾̈́̅͗į̲͉̻̫̜̋ͣ͡k͖̒̂̍͞e͗̈́̅ ̨͕̀ ͕̩͍̫̯ ̠̇̍̎̂̕m̨̼͎̬͎͎̆ͫ̌̎̇̌͒ͩ̚͝ē̴͚̖͈͍͔̹͈͔̭͛́ ̡̠͕͕̻̝͍̘̌͒ͭ͗͗͆ã̝͙͖̺͎ͭͣ́͝l̸̢̳͖̩̙̠̔ͮ̾sͦͣ̒̔̂͑̍̅̐� �̪͖͡ ̖o͉͉̖̩̝̭̰͆̒̒̈ͅ ͔͕̦̿ͫa̵̓̎̓͏̺̠ņ̷̛̜̝̟͉͔̭̤̟͖ͩ̐̏̐ͥ̾d̵̗̯͙ͫͤ̑̏̄̉̐̉͒ ̴͖̦̱͎̟̜͂̆̃n͗̑ͣͤ҉̜̰̖ṓ͎͙̝͇͇̎ͥẃ̴͎͕̬͖̼͉̳̍ͨ͑̒̀̾͊ ̰ ̴̴̨̯͓͉͛̎̑̋ͪ̊̚̚w̥̖̺̼̯̝͖̩͍̔͡e̙̟̙̦̘ͦͮ ̺̠͍̺̮̥̳͐͘l̶̵̤̗͈̭͕̙͓̾ͣ͘ͅę̞̯̎ͯͨ̚t̵̰̜̟̦͛̔ͫ͛ͬ͜͡ ̵̢̧̩͓̣̇ͨ͗̋a̴̻̗̜͕̞͗̔ͬ̇́̕ř̡̻͖̲ͫ̄̏͠e̼̰̦͓̅̊ͩ̈ͮ͗ͭͭ and viola! You have a hard hitting ability that sends you to the top of the meters because you can press that Kill Command!

I hope this was helpful and informative to everyone who loves Sporebats!

"Simple, all you have to do is e someone else who can speak evil like me also and now we let are and viola! You have a hard hitting ability that sends you to the top of the meters because you can press that Kill Command! I hope this was helpful and informative to everyone who loves Sporebats!"

can you please explain to me what this is? XD

In regards to the op I just use whatever I have and that happens to be a tallstrider for the aoe armor debuff.
    Last edited by Tehstool; 2012-12-06 at 08:45 AM.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Mastery is actually better than haste in most cases for BM and Survival, and possibly better than crit for BM on a single target. Go look at some of the top parsing hunters on WoL, they aren't reforging for haste. Don't take the word of EJ, they haven't updated the front page of spec posts since 5.0, and what was making haste better than mastery has since been proven to not be the case (breakpoint for extra attack from dire beast).

What do you want the self buff for? If you're talking just dailies and farming, it doesn't really matter, honestly. I use mastery myself, it's about the same as crit and I usually don't have a wolf in my active stable. A lot of people are going to tell you take the haste pet, but how often do you do an actual rotation while questing? Debuff pets are out for the same reason, none of the debuff pets are going to put the debuff up until they hit the mob, which is after you have already done your first couple globals of dps to it. Even if you make sure your pet gets the debuff up before using any nukes (which is wasting time to begin with) it's not going to be up for every mob, more like every second or third mob. So really it comes down to crit, mastery, haste. Haste isn't useful unless something lives long enough for you to actually need to cast cobra a lot. Crit and mastery are about even, take your pick.

If you're talking 5 mans, the same rules apply, with the caveat that one of those three is more than likely covered. Mastery and crit benefit everyone, including healers and casters, and the goal is to get done faster, so pick one of those. If by some luck all 3 are covered, use either a ravager or dragonhawk, depending on if the group is doing more magic than physical damage. The armor debuff takes too long to stack, at 18 sec most bosses are already half dead.

If you're talking soloing old content, turtle (shell shield still op if not as op), spirit beast (heal) or if it's gonna be a long fight, mastery/haste/crit all work about the same. If you're talking soloing old content, remember pet buffs don't vanish when you dismiss the pet, and stampede will autocast buffs. Haste lasts 2 minutes, crit and mastery both last 1 minute. Magic debuff is 45 sec, physical is 30 sec, so if you pop stampede with those 5 pets in your stable, you're good for at least 45 sec of all 5 if you keeo the physical debuff pet active.

TLDR: mastery=crit > haste(unless it will live a minute or more, then haste tops) > magic debuff = physical debuff. Debuffs are weighted more heavily based on either 5 man comp or your spec, survival does more magic damage than physical.

Crit was the best personal buff/debuff both in Cataclysm and this expansion.

Cat will be 2nd best in this expansion, as it was in Cataclysm (but it was much easier to "cover" in Cataclysm, as every DK, every warrior, and every shaman had access to it).

Melee haste, since there is no Hunting Party any more, will be 3rd best.

After that, the "personal" best ones will either be Wind Serpent/Firehawk for 5% spell damage (in SV), ravager for 4% physical damage (in BM and MM).

And then, after that, you're looking at sunder (raptor) if you don't have it, but it should be almost everywhere in your raid.

And last but not least: spell haste, from our friend the spore bat, which only benefits your casters.

If you're really missing fort/kings/brezz/heroism and you need a pet to provide that, I'd suggest your 10 man configure itself better (and if it's 25 man that is somehow missing that buff.....stop stacking mages and rogues).

Deleted
    Blizzard promised that more than ever hunters in mop would be able to use the pet they want and not the pet they need. Solo this is true imo and as such take the one you like hugging the most. The spec you give your pet has much more importance to the type of solo content you are doing than their family.
    10m raiding however I have never seen it so bad since vanilla's non-normalized pets. We use 10 unique classes in our raid and I'm allready stuck with either a ravager or a wolf 90% of the raids. So I can imagine how much more worse it is in casual raids where you have people with the same class or even the same spec.

While Blizzard was homogenising our pets in MoP (which I love btw), they should have added 1buff, 1debuff and 1special skill slot to each pet. The hunter would be able to select which skill will be used in each slot. I don't agree that BM should have important exclusive buffs like Ancient Hysteria, Qiraji Fortitude or Embrace of the Shale Spider but this system would still give the option to exclude some skills to be selectable by MM and SV.
    It would be much better if all specs had access to all buffs and debuffs and BM would get exclusivity to skills like Spirit Mend, Shell shield or Eternal Guardian and other new skills who give a small dps/utility advantage without the whole raid having to miss out on something important.
    Last edited by mmoce1187a0503; 2012-12-06 at 09:20 AM.

I would love the ability to pick which buff my pet does, because I hate the look of my wind serpent and I end up using it for CoE just to take the stress off our warlock when our rogue is sitting.

Plus you could go for themed Stampedes. I think as a worgen it should be my god-given right to have five wolves stampeding.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I would love the ability to pick which buff my pet does, because I hate the look of my wind serpent and I end up using it for CoE just to take the stress off our warlock when our rogue is sitting.

Plus you could go for themed Stampedes. I think as a worgen it should be my god-given right to have five wolves stampeding.
    I tamed Sunwing for that.
    http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/dragonhawkskin07.html

When soloing I use the hyena. It just feels better to have that haste, keeps my rhythm the same as when I'm raiding. Even if I'm hitting for slightly less, I notice it a lot less than going sans-haste.

All my guilds Elementals, Spriests and Moonkins have recently disappeared. Nobody suspects the Sporebat. All is well.

On fights with adds spawning a tallstrider is pretty helpful to get the aoe physical debuff up if your tanks can't. (Sha of fear comes to mind)

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    On fights with adds spawning a tallstrider is pretty helpful to get the aoe physical debuff up if your tanks can't. (Sha of fear comes to mind)
    The question was about self buff so I take this was for soloing, not raiding.

If you are BM, the best self buff is coming from Shale Spider - 5% extra agility. Haste from hyenas is - when soloing - of almost no value because you hardly get to cast cobra shot, you do only instants. For soloing you dont want Dire Beast but Thrill of the Hunt which allows you to spam Arcanes between the signature shots and you dont care about focus regenerating shots/haste at all

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybudd33 View Post
    In Cataclysm is was a Cat / Spirit Beast as the obvious first line choice, and 2ndly followed by a Wolf/Devilsuar for Crit.

Now Cat's and Spirit Beast provided Mastery, which is at the bottom of the Barrel for Hunter stat weights at the moment.

Now yes I know that Spirit Beast have a heal that is great, that is extra, I just want to know which pet will give me extra dps because of the buff they give, or the debuff they apply (example: extra physical damage debuff).

If you guys know of a site/chart that has this mapped out please link it, otherwise open for opinions and discussions.
    Well, the Mastery buff you get from Spirit Beasts rock for BM... it's our 2nd main stat after agil (Hit cap of course). I would say go Spirit Beast... kind of hands down

10+ Year Old Account
    Quillen, hands down!

Lets talk each.

5% stats: this gives probably between 600-900 agi. I dont think agi is worth 3 times any secondary so this is not the best.

3k mastery- good but not a top stat over crit

5% crit is 3k raiting. Since all hunters value crit over mastery its always worth using 5% crit.

10% haste- this is 4250 raiting, if crit is worth 50% more than haste, use that. Otherwise THIS IS BEST.

- armor, 4% physical and 5% magic. This changes by spec. Im on my phone so cannot tell for sure but i thin -armor is the weakest since it has to stack, if the target is alive long enough though it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhvvNGeHHME

Get a spore bat.

OT: Mastery is not trash (at least for BM). Pretty similar to crit.

Considering I usually AoE down everything in sight when soloing I use a turtle. Otherwise the new Cat model because it's pretty and the mastery is great for BM burst.

Spirit beast or a hyena are my particular faves atm

you really cant beat that heal or if you aint got a spirit beast that 10 percent inc in haste makes a real difference from the hyena imo

Quote Originally Posted by Nangz View Post
    5% crit is 3k raiting. Since all hunters value crit over mastery its always worth using 5% crit.

10% haste- this is 4250 raiting, if crit is worth 50% more than haste, use that. Otherwise THIS IS BEST.

- armor, 4% physical and 5% magic. This changes by spec. Im on my phone so cannot tell for sure but i thin -armor is the weakest since it has to stack, if the target is alive long enough though it works.
    Keep in mind that it's 10% attack speed, not 10% haste. It doesn't give regen, only attack speed, so this makes it a bit weaker than actual haste.

Also, the tallstrider version of the buff applies 3 stacks at once (as AoE), but has a 25 sec cd instead of the 6 sec single stacking application you get from the raptor. Just something to keep in mind.