Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Unsung Heroes: Your favourite underrated video game characters?

Which characters do you think don't get enough credit? there are plenty of badass characters in video games that for one reason or another, aren't widely known about, don't get enough screen time, or simply could have been amazing characters if they were explored more.

I'm sure I could come up with quite a few if I thought about it for a while, but for the moment, I'm going to take War, from darksiders, as an example.

When Darksiders first came out, many complained that War didn't have much depth to his character, and with the release of Darksiders 2, Death seems to have taken the limelight and not many people really give a second thought for War. Personally I loved War, sure, he didn't have much to him, but I loved his simple, straight to the point attitude and his one liners, which made him feel like a badass, thats not to say Death isn't badass too, but this is just an example.

So what about you guys, do you have any characters that you feel deserve more recognition? badass or otherwise that you wish were more prominent?

For me it has to be Simon "Ghost" Riley from Modern Warfare 2. Though he was way tougher than Soap and deserved more of a limelight. Plus a skull mask in combat is way more BA than a mohawk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Peppy from Star Fox... While some may disagree, I don't think there is enough back story on him. Yes we know he was from the team that had Fox's father but he never really had much else. Peppy is to me a very underrated character in a game yet very badass in a subtle way.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm, let me see:

Final Fantasy 9: Vivi. Sure, people love using him for his magic, but as far as the story goes, I don't think much of the beginning of the game would have happened without him. At least up to Dali, and maybe beyond into Burmecia, Vivi's curiosity about his origins fueled the continued traveling. Everyone tends to think of it as Zidane's story (to make a Final Fantasy 10 quote), but to me it always felt like Vivi's. Up until Disc 3, when it becomes Garnet's, even when she's not in the party.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tybalt from guild wars 2, he was a fucking hero and gave me laughs with his apples... R.I.P tybalt.

10+ Year Old Account
    More of an unsung villain, but Bodhi from BG2. Everyone seems to hate on her for not being quite as smart as Irenicus, which is fair... but I personally thought she was quite the formidable second-in-command, especially if you side with her in the guild war. Between butchering the much larger Shadow Thieves, duping you into becoming her loyal goon, handing you to Jon on a platter, and then turning your lover into a vampire and forcing him/her to fight you to the death... I think she redeemed her moment of idiocy in the insane asylum's torture dungeon.

Oh, and Marcello from Dragon Quest 8.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2012-12-06 at 12:41 AM.

one hundred percent agree with FF9 and Vivi.
    Ellie from deadspace 2
    Achilles from AC3 (at least so far i havent learned much about him)
    Rico from killzone
    Ridley from metroid

Wes from Pokemon Colosseum.

Luigi of course!

Would still like to see Zelda play a lead role in the Hyrule universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Luigi of course!

Yes, yes, yes. I forgot Luigi!

Not sure if my list of characters can be called ''underrated'':

- Alan Wake from.... Alan Wake. Overall an underrated gem
    - Daniel from Amnesia. People praise the game for being scary, but they never mention the guy you actually play
    - K.Rool from the Donkey Kong games. Bowser gets all the praise, while K.Rool is just as good and interesting, maybe even better than Bowser.

10+ Year Old Account
    Luigi of course!

The legend of zelda CDI actually had zelda on a lead role, it sucked... but i blame the CDI

Deleted
    Claptrap from Borderlands 2

10+ Year Old Account
    When it comes to characters not getting enough credit, the first one that comes to mind is Luigi. I mean look how much attention Mario gets compared to Luigi, I feel bad for him. They need to have a Super Luigi World where Luigi saves Daisy. Some others are Wario, Waluigi, Dr. Muto, and I-Ninja.

Edit: Kimahri Ronso from Final Fantasy 10 is another one. He protects Yuna for so long and in comes Titus and steals all the glory of being a guardian and wheres Kimahri? In the back forced to watch Titus be all famous. He's also my favorite character in the game.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2012-12-05 at 11:21 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Celes in Final Fantasy 6/3.

Luigi of course!

But they're all Zelda games!... ... ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Celes in Final Fantasy 6/3.

But they're all Zelda games!... ... ...
    /2 why does zelda always have to save the princess???

(I still see people fall for that one every day.)

/2 why does zelda always have to save the princess???

(I still see people fall for that one every day.)
    Have you got a Link to that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Kai from Heavenly Sword.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Zelda in SSBM. Everyone always plays as Sheik, but Zelda is a wrecking ball if you play her right.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Have you got a Link to that?
    Well played, sir or madam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kongol from Legend of Dragoon. Finding his Dragoon stone was so hard that it makes you think the developers didn't really want you to find it