Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Unless you're a terrorist, you've got nothing to be concerned about.

We live in an inter-connected world, how is this a surprise to anyone?
    I'm pretty sure it's more than just terrorists that should be afraid of this.

... Not like most terrorists are going to go around publicly giving people information
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's more than just terrorists that should be afraid of this.

... Not like most terrorists are going to go around publicly giving people information
    If I were to plan a terrorist attack it wouldn't be conducted online. If anything, terrorists are probably the last people to be picked up like this, while innocent people are being tracked for saying that they disagree with [insert policy] in an email. And the US Government should not have the right to spy on citizens of other countries.

I can't believe so many people are saying 'hurdur it's da internets ofc it's not private'

Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    "Information that Europeans keep stored online could be accessed by US law enforcement agencies. That's according to a report issued by one university in Amsterdam, which revealed the anti-terrorism Patriot Act gives Washington legal grounds to bypass Europe's privacy laws."
    Keywords being legal grounds

The law of the land should be sovereign and not superseded by foreign entities.

Keywords being legal grounds

The law of the land should be sovereign and not superseded by foreign entities.
    There should be no legal grounds for the US to spy on foreign citizens. There should also be no legal grounds for anybody else to spy on US citizens. That is what being a sovereign nation is all about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    If I were to plan a terrorist attack it wouldn't be conducted online. If anything, terrorists are probably the last people to be picked up like this, while innocent people are being tracked for saying that they disagree with [insert policy] in an email. And the US Government should not have the right to spy on citizens of other countries.
    "Omg guyz Im like SO going to blow this building today... Like, for chemicals, comment for bombs...."

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, so people didn't know this? Its been this way for like a decade, "legally" that is.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Saw the OP's avatar, turned around, walked the fuck out of this thread.

There should be no legal grounds for the US to spy on foreign citizens. There should also be no legal grounds for anybody else to spy on US citizens. That is what being a sovereign nation is all about.
    Spying is usually covert for a reason, nations don't want to be caught doing it. I mean I hate to rely on wiki definitions but it really can't be put any better than "Espionage is inherently clandestine, as it is taken for granted that it is unwelcome and, in many cases illegal and punishable by law."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Spying is usually covert for a reason, nations don't want to be caught doing it. I mean I hate to rely on wiki definitions but it really can't be put any better than "Espionage is inherently clandestine, as it is taken for granted that it is unwelcome and, in many cases illegal and punishable by law."
    And then the US goverment turns around and says "we have decided we do have the right to spy on you, you have no legal base to stop us, now go back to your burrows and let us do our thing like the good subordinates you are." They don't even have the common decency to lie and say they aren't doing it. They are also not just going after the government information, but also private individuals.

And then the US goverment turns around and says "we have decided we do have the right to spy on you, you have no legal base to stop us, now go back to your burrows and let us do our thing like the good subordinates you are." They don't even have the common decency to lie and say they aren't doing it. They are also not just going after the government information, but also private individuals.
    Ohwait I totally misread your initial post, lol. Thought you were in favour of the patriot act :P

It maybe allows US government to get access to facilities and data from EU citizens that's located IN THE US, it most certainly does not have any power outside US borders whatsoever.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Ohwait I totally misread your initial post, lol. Thought you were in favour of the patriot act :P
    The Patriot Act is one of the biggest "fuck yous" to civil liberty in the history of mankind.

no one knows i have typed this except for me!!!!

Deleted
    Why US?! I've got no problem with my country spying on me, but US?! Can we spy US then? Where can I sign up?

Deleted
    Why would I need to worry though? What could the U.S.A. do to me? I'm not ignorant of it happening, but I really don't care. I've got nothing to hide from anyone.
    Why should the US stick it's nose in my business? I don't want any part of your naive muslim-hating crap. No, I have nothing to hide from anyone, but I've never cared for US security, so why should I be involved in it?

This has been none for a while the US has been keeping track of every piece of info that is on the internet for a while. Every comment etc. They have 1 billion terabites of the stuff stored(or maybe 1 trillion cant remember, one of the 2). But with all that data it means that the vast majority is not looked at by anyone 99.9999999999(keeping adding 9's for about 5 minutes and you'll get how small the % is) Due to how insanely large it is. Instead it is search through and message by people on a certain list and that contain large amounts of keywords are the only ones looked at.

If I am not mistaken they had a similar system running on telephones where if the word bomb was mentioned X amount of the called would be recorded and check(but that might be a film lol)

10+ Year Old Account

General's Petraeus and Allen say hi.

Do not be so naïve to think they are only using it against 'terrorists'.

Insider trading, industrial espionage and discrediting those whom they deem viable targets.

This is no news, and as old as the patriot act.

The german institute for data security recommends several providers on it's official page who are certified to uphold german and european privacy laws, and have no ties to any company that falls under US jurisdiction.
    In fact it is even forbidden here to store "tax relevant" data on servers outside the EU (although it only means the servers have to be physically there, if they are owned by a US company they are not protected from the patriot act).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raferis View Post
    Saw the OP's avatar, turned around, walked the fuck out of this thread.
    You'd be surprised.

Unless you are a terrorist...
    Lol.
    You realize that are hardly any terrorists to start with, most of what the media call "terrorists" are desperate people fighting for their loved ones and their countries.
    But THAT aside, the problem is ethical.
    Why should ANY country in the world be allowed to piss on other countries laws? That is ridiculous.

Not to speak that such information CAN and likely, will be used against people who get inconvenient.

When a government stops thinking of preserving a population and starts thinking about self-preservation, its time to cut it down tbh.
    A government serves the people, never the other way around.