Thread: Synthetic Fuel!

Synthetic Fuel!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...le+Feedfetcher

While not something we could be seeing immediately (Has a price tag of about $1.1 trillion for switching from current fuel type to synthetic, and about a span of 30 to 40 years for full adoptation of the new system using through gradual implementation), it could benefit us in the long run. Plus, it could cut vehicle greenhouse emissions by as much as 50 percent in the next several decades (And the synthetic fuel could be used in any automobile engine without any modifications, since it is similar enough to fuels refined from crude oil)

Pretty excited to see if this could happen, yall's thoughts?

No! Synthetics can't be trusted to drive our cars! Throw them out the airlock.

Old news. Something like half the US Airforce is already certified to run sythetics, with plans underway to certify the civilian aircraft as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    No! Synthetics can't be trusted to drive our cars! Throw them out the airlock.
    If you prick a synthetic, does it not feel pain? Does it not bleed?

Bergtau's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability that somebody will mention Godwin's Law approaches 1.
    Hitler wasn't all bad, I mean, he DID kill Hitler.
    An accident is something that you did not mean to do at all. A mistake is something that you regret doing.

Here's a car that runs on hydrogen coming to america in 2015:
    http://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2012-fcv-r_concept/

Nah we're too busy spending trillions on fighting imaginary boogeymen in other countries and handing out bailouts out to our friends, oops sorry I mean 'too big too fail banks'.
    People please. Accept the fact that a new type of energy will never come to fruition. Humanity will forever be sucking shit out of the planet because the people who own it also own us.
    Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlich View Post
    Here's a car that runs on hydrogen coming to america in 2015:
    http://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2012-fcv-r_concept/
    Why do all these alternative energy vehicles have to look like a fucking suppository. Give me something stylish that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and I'll buy it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    Nah we're too busy spending trillions on fighting imaginary boogeymen in other countries and handing out bailouts out to our friends, oops sorry I mean 'too big too fail banks'.
    People please. Accept the fact that a new type of energy will never come to fruition. Humanity will forever be sucking shit out of the planet because the people who own it also own us.
    Have a nice day.
    Until the aliens come down and show humanity how to create a virtually inexhaustible power source that will cost as much as a bigmac. Problem big oil?
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Why do all these alternative energy vehicles have to look like a fucking suppository. Give me something stylish that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and I'll buy it today.
    There is the Tesla model S. It looks pretty good.

Alternative fuels won't be seeing mass production until the oil is all gone. You think those humongous oil companies will just watch as the market is being "infested" with cheap, environmentally friendly fuels, while their profits take a dive ?! And guess who is these companies' beste friend. That's right, your government.

In reply to "Has a price tag of about $1.1 trillion for switching from current fuel type to synthetic, and about a span of 30 to 40 years "

That amount of money over the period of 30-40 years is almost negligible. From the years 1980-2010 (30 years) our national debt has gone up 8 Trillion Dollars... Don't think 1.1 Trill will phase us too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    There is the Tesla model S. It looks pretty good.
    Pretty sure he said "doesn't cost an arm and a leg" too. Either way I remember reading somewhere long ago that while Hydrogen is an obvious alternative fuel option, the waste that is created from mass producing hydrogen fuel cells is more destructive to the environment than conventional emmisions. Maybe they've improved the process or maybe Toyota is trying to make money off a few dumbshits.

And the obvious answer to all of this energy/green policy stuff is whether it's going to cost me a lot of money or force me to drastically change my lifestyle to suit the needs/wants of others. Sure I care, but I don't care THAT much. And that is the opinion of the average consumer/citizen. So, feel free to suppose the change, but make sure you aren't trying to transform the world by putting everyone in mutual poverty.
    Last edited by Sulla; 2012-12-06 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Why do all these alternative energy vehicles have to look like a fucking suppository.
    Both have the same general goal of minimizing resistance, whether from air or your sphincter.

Check out the PAC cars

PAC car I - http://www.paccar.ethz.ch/pictures/p...o_2003/3?hires

and

PAC car II - http://www.paccar.ethz.ch/pictures/p...neous/13?hires