Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    @OP - I have to agree with HK-51. That is great advice.

I am also someone thinking about coming back myself. Right now I abhor WoW's PvP at the moment. People say TOR has a lot of CC and I will admit it has its fair share but in WoW CC is totally out of control. I actually preferred the PvP in TOR before and only feel moreso now.

Recently loaded up SWTOR and played a couple WZs and I had forgotten how much fun it was. I am going to be coming back but not sure to what capacity. I am really giving WoW till 5.2 to fix their crap if they don't I'm jumping ship and coming back to SWTOR.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    When you say PvP is that similar to doing battlegrounds? Is it like wow, where you get crapped on if you don't have the gear or are outleveled?
    Level 1 - 49 the Warzones are all in one bracket, all the players in the WZ get bolstered up to level 49, IIRC it extrapolates your current stats up to what they would be at level 49 so the better your gear for your current level the better your stats will be after your level 49 bolster. The other thing to consider is that at lower levels you will have fewer abilities to use than players with a higher level characters.
    That said every time I roll an alt I PvP as soon as the game will let me and I still have fun even at lower level, although it can be a bit frustrating on your level 10 scoundrel spamming your 1 heal
    Level 50 - Expertise kicks in for real. You want PvP gear for the expertise. High end PvE gear could probably outperform the lower level PvP gear if you are in the right team set up but that's a discussion for another time.
    You get a set of recruit PvP armour for free when you hit 50, if you are not a subscriber and have not bought the required authorisation this will be the best PvP gear you can equip. If you are skilled at PvP the disparity between recruit and battle master gear is noticeable but not a show stopper, if you're average Joe (like me) you will be cannon fodder in recruit gear.
    All of the above gear info is changing in 1.6 they are doing away with BM gear, I don't know when 1.6 is due to hit but I would think twice about buying any BM and just take the beatings in your recruit gear and horde up your WZ and RWZ comms.

Be ready for the knockback, snare and stun fest that is SWTOR PvP, personally I love it but some don't, all of the CC took some getting used to but it isn't as bad as a lot of people say. Learn about how the various forms of CC work and how the resolve system works, it does work and it is your friend. This will allow you to use your CC breaker FAR FAR more effectively and it does make a massive difference to just hitting it as soon as you get CC'd then being fair game for the next 2 mins.

Good luck out there and enjoy
    Last edited by mmoc53c2ae6845; 2012-12-07 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    Jedi Shadow tanking is most comparable to Death Knight tanking.

Jedi Guardian is more like Warrior tanking.

We also have the ranged tank in SWTOR, with the Vanguard Trooper class, which a lot of people really enjoy (and does a great job all the way through Nightmare mode endgame ops).

Best of luck!
    That just isn't true, Vanguards/PT might use ranged wpns and have some ranged attacks but they are far from ranged tanks. Next we will be calling assassin tanks casters tanks because they have a few spells. If you are not in melee as a PT/Van you are doing next to nothing for threat or dmg. So lets not confuse the guy. Having said that PT tanking is a lot of fun. My favorite of the 3 choices.

OT Some of the issues you listed about WoW you will see in SWTOR, pvp can be brutal when you first hit the lvl cap because of the gear difference, at lower lvls they try to ballance it with a bolster buff but that doesnt really make up for the lack of abilities lower lvls have when matched up against higher lvls. You do have a better shot as a lvl 10 vs at 49 then anybody in WoW would against another player even 6 or 7 lvls higher then they are though.

SWTOR really is a fun game though and well worth checking out since you have played already it will have the extra unlocks ppl have mentioned which will make the game feel much more whole. Seriously though what is the worst that happens you waste some time reinstalling and patching the game and find out you don't care for it. You could also could rediscover a great game.

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 03:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bolverk View Post
    Be ready for the knockback, snare and stun fest that is SWTOR PvP
    This is certainly something to get used to. Tons of knockbacks, stuns, snare and other goodies. Getting used to how resolve works and when you do or don't want to fill it up on ppl is another new twist on SWTOR pvp. Everybody having a built in trinket ability is another slight twist.

Ranked WZ imo is the best SWTOR has to offer and what I truly miss playing. I won't say they are better then the RBGs in wow but different and a lot of fun. Then again I am one of the ppl that really like RBGs in WoW.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Bolverk View Post
    Be ready for the knockback, snare and stun fest that is SWTOR PvP, personally I love it but some don't, all of the CC took some getting used to but it isn't as bad as a lot of people say. Learn about how the various forms of CC work and how the resolve system works, it does work and it is your friend. This will allow you to use your CC breaker FAR FAR more effectively and it does make a massive difference to just hitting it as soon as you get CC'd then being fair game for the next 2 mins.
    I am with you on this. The resolve system in TOR is WAY more elegant than the convoluted system that WoW has. Once you learn how it works which frankly is pretty easy to learn you have a system that is easy to follow and 100% predictable.

Having recently come from WoW I can say now that WoW has WAY more CC than TOR does. TOR does have a good bit of CC but where WoW really outdoes TOR is that WoW now has shitloads of AoE CC mechanics. People are aren't even targetting are getting CC'ed now which quite is really souring my PvP experience not that it was all that great to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    My wife is agreeing with you right now.

"Rocket punch is the coolest move in the game. I don't care how many credits you save. The bounty hunter experience isn't complete without it" - My wife.
    Your wife is a wise woman. Whether necessary or not, I found extreme pleasure in grappling an enemy to me and following it up with a rocket punch...its like SWTOR Mortal Kombat. =)

But seriously, aesthetic-awesomesauce aside, Rocket Punch is a heavy hitting move that will likely proc all sorts of goodness for you like Rail Shot goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    But seriously, aesthetic-awesomesauce aside, Rocket Punch is a heavy hitting move that will likely proc all sorts of goodness for you like Rail Shot goodness.
    As pt. I was talking about mercs. For them its a knock back for pvp.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary Poster View Post
    No idea why you would choose swtor over wow. You will only find less features, clunky mechanics, extreme keybind bloat, and horrible pvp balance rulled by jedi knights/sith warriors.

Oh crap, I just criticized swtor, which constitutes game bashing aka trolling. Inc infraction.
    You're allowed to talk negatively about another game. Don't be so dramaramatic. There isn't an infraction called "Game bashing". These forums are full of them. That said, Swtor kicks the shit out of wow. It's just not an easily digestible brainless game. Which the masses want.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    That just isn't true, Vanguards/PT might use ranged wpns and have some ranged attacks but they are far from ranged tanks. Next we will be calling assassin tanks casters tanks because they have a few spells.
    I'm not arguing semantics, and I'm in a Nightmare raiding guild that is 3/4 on 16-man EC NiM. We use a Vanguard tank, and no, he does not tank at range.

That being said, Vanguard/PT is advertised as a ranged tank. I'm fully aware that they are typically not used at range, but it IS possible to do that, and it is advertised that way.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As pt. I was talking about mercs. For them its a knock back for pvp.
    sadly just a stun now....I definitely didn't like that change.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    sadly just a stun now....I definitely didn't like that change.
    :O ew. Lame.

I liked punching people into fire...
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    :O ew. Lame.

I liked punching people into fire...
    It was the concession to give mercs an interrupt. I would have rather kept my additional knockback. One very clear example of a PvE change affecting PvE which I don't consider acceptable ever.

I would also suggest buying the XP boosts from the GTN or the cartel market. Don't wast your money on the lesser ones though. If you use the 3 hours greater ones, you will be leveling at the same pace as subbed players.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    I'm not arguing semantics, and I'm in a Nightmare raiding guild that is 3/4 on 16-man EC NiM. We use a Vanguard tank, and no, he does not tank at range.

That being said, Vanguard/PT is advertised as a ranged tank. I'm fully aware that they are typically not used at range, but it IS possible to do that, and it is advertised that way.
    They could be advertised as magical unicorns, it does not make them one though. As far as it being possible not really they would have zero threat and ammo/heat issues so bad they might as well just pick up a camera and pretend they are the news crews that broke the rakghoul plague and others like that. Telling somebody that is more or less new to the game something like that is just too far off the mark of reality. If one of your ops tanks is a vanguard you should know better, so why give the OP false info?
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    That said, Swtor kicks the shit out of wow. It's just not an easily digestible brainless game. Which the masses want.
    Hilarious, considering what a WoW-clone The Old Republic is. They're virtually the same game with different skins.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Hilarious, considering what a WoW-clone The Old Republic is. They're virtually the same game with different skins.
    Personally, i ve been playing WoW since beta, but the game has become boring as hell, and yes, WoW has become game for mases. I as a veteran, who remembers the "greener" grass doesnt like that much, especially in PvP. Wow has no story and all the quests are all the same, boring, dull, useless, made for players who are braindead and cant handle anything more, than simple sequence - go > kill > loot > repeat.

Wow used to be fun. Now its the money sink. Story - SWTOR wins by huge margin. PvP - in terms of skill - SWTOR wins again. They might have more challenging PVE, but i dont know much about WoW PVE, so i cant really say. Big minus of SWTOR from my point of view is kinda laggy areas and somehow chungy graphic and loads of places, where i had to use /stuck.

Am not WoW hater, nor SWTOR fan. But i ve been playing SWTOR for like 5 days, and i didnt have such fun in years, yes in years.

When i tried swtor first ( at open beta ) i thought its a crap wow clone.Next day i logged and i was impressed by how fun questing can be. I bought the game only to finish sith inquister story and reach level 50. Throughout my way to 50 while playing with my assasin i compared the game with the wow then i realized swtor has its own unique class design and played it up to 12 april (4 months) from the release.I had to quit because i joined army , now im back from army and subed again.

I loved class design in swtor and warzones.Dont listen ppl who says there is too much knockback in swtor , they dont know how to avoid it .After spending years in wow arena by running around pillars , getting grave camped on some wow bg ( i dont even remember names now lol maybe warsong ?! ) i found hutball very refreshing.Ofcourse there is no 1v1 pvp balance in swtor too.Dont expect it to be too because its mathematically impossible to balance classes in 1v1 unless they have all same abilities or there is only a few classes.I didnt do much pve in swtor tbh.

Swtor has serious problems too , you cant have a smooth gameplay unless you have a strong pc. Im having horrid fps at warzones.
    Last edited by masta; 2012-12-10 at 10:05 PM.
    I Dont Read the signature rules