Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Migrating from Wow to Swtor.. I need a lot of advise

    Hello,
    I have been playing WoW since early BC, and while I have taken extended breaks throughout its release until today I always end up going back to it because I get bored of other games. When swtor came out I was very excited and pre-ordered the game, I got up to level 10 and got a little stumped on some quests. So I created a different class and played that up to 6-7, then I went back to my Sith Warrior. I got him up to level 16-17 where I finally just could not do it anymore, I wanted the actual storyline instead of doing all these filler quests so I could continue with the main storyline. So I left the game and returned to wow, now almost a year later I am tired and burnt out on WoW I no longer raid and only do RBGS. While I am not trying to inflame a war here between Wow vs Swtor.. I want recommendations on what I could do to enjoy my 2nd go with Swtor. For those who have played both games, could you give me some tips on a class I may enjoy leveling, and in the end pvp with? I have played my Death Knight since Wotlk, and Warrior. I am almost always a Tank and take on the leadership role. Also any advise on what I should be doing at certain levels would be much appreciated, for ex if I was going to help someone to level in wow i would of told them to make sure at X level to get dual spec/mounts/glyphs or certain buffs that increase the Xp gained etc. Thank you for anyone who helps me out after reading this wall of text!

  2. #2
    Granted I quit some time ago, when I'd level an alt I'd just do the main story and, if I was too far under the next part, I'd just PvP to fill the gaps. The XP was quite nice and didn't seem to take an excessive number to progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

  3. #3
    Jedi Shadow tanking is most comparable to Death Knight tanking.

    Jedi Guardian is more like Warrior tanking.

    We also have the ranged tank in SWTOR, with the Vanguard Trooper class, which a lot of people really enjoy (and does a great job all the way through Nightmare mode endgame ops).

    Best of luck!

  4. #4
    If you are going to start swtor I would do the following:
    Make a f2p account
    Buy 5+ dollars worth of cartel coins (Your account will now be "Preferred" with 4 action bars)
    Make a character that can fill a healing or tanking role (You can do infinite flash points (instances) a week, but your rolls are limited on the last boss)
    Flash points, bonus quests, bonus series, and selling low level mats on the GTN (auction house) will make your life extremely easy.
    Choose Bio-analysis and Scavenging for leveling. Gather everything you see and sell stacks of them on the GTN.
    Your credit cap is 350k, you will probably hit around level 20 or 25 if you are diligent with your GTN sales.
    Use your extra credits to buy "unlocks" and "authorizations" such as "hide helm", "unify color", "equip epics", ect.
    Continue this pattern to 50 and you will most likely have a complete account with a few "pvp weeks" stored up.
    If there is an unlock that you want/need that isn't on the GTN, try trade chat.
    Lv40 (Firefall) Dragonfly, Mammoth, Nighthawk, Arsenal
    Lv50 (FF14) Paladin, Warrior (Swtor) Agent, Warrior, Knight, Inquisitor, Trooper, Consular, Smuggler, Hunter
    Lv60 (NWO) Rogue, Fighter, Wizard, Guardian, Cleric (Rift) Rogue
    Lv80/85 (GW2) Thief (WoW) Rogue, Mage, Priest, Hunter, Warlock, Warrior, Death Knight, Paladin, Druid, Shaman

  5. #5
    I still own the account I bought a year ago, I activated like 3 months ago and then let the sub run out cus I never played it

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 05:02 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    If you are going to start swtor I would do the following:
    Make a f2p account
    Buy 5+ dollars worth of cartel coins (Your account will now be "Preferred" with 4 action bars)
    Make a character that can fill a healing or tanking role (You can do infinite flash points (instances) a week, but your rolls are limited on the last boss)
    Flash points, bonus quests, bonus series, and selling low level mats on the GTN (auction house) will make your life extremely easy.
    Choose Bio-analysis and Scavenging for leveling. Gather everything you see and sell stacks of them on the GTN.
    Your credit cap is 350k, you will probably hit around level 20 or 25 if you are diligent with your GTN sales.
    Use your extra credits to buy "unlocks" and "authorizations" such as "hide helm", "unify color", "equip epics", ect.
    Continue this pattern to 50 and you will most likely have a complete account with a few "pvp weeks" stored up.
    If there is an unlock that you want/need that isn't on the GTN, try trade chat.
    Thank you for all your tips, I will reference this post. Also if I already had an account that HAD a sub on it, do I still need to buy coins?

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 05:03 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    Jedi Shadow tanking is most comparable to Death Knight tanking.

    Jedi Guardian is more like Warrior tanking.

    We also have the ranged tank in SWTOR, with the Vanguard Trooper class, which a lot of people really enjoy (and does a great job all the way through Nightmare mode endgame ops).

    Best of luck!
    What class has Jedi Shadow tanking?

  6. #6
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    11,866
    Do everything HK said, except your account should already be preferred so you won't need to spend any money upfront. Also, you will most likely want to be playing a Warrior/Knight in their tanking capacities. You may like the other tanks, but those are the closest to the playstyle. Nothing in this game is really comparable to a DK. Maybe Consular/Shadow, whatever....but it just doesn't feel the same to me.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2012-12-06 at 05:06 PM.

  7. #7
    Banned Temporary Poster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Posting between bans
    Posts
    418
    No idea why you would choose swtor over wow. You will only find less features, clunky mechanics, extreme keybind bloat, and horrible pvp balance rulled by jedi knights/sith warriors.

    Oh crap, I just criticized swtor, which constitutes game bashing aka trolling. Inc infraction.

  8. #8
    When you say PvP is that similar to doing battlegrounds? Is it like wow, where you get crapped on if you don't have the gear or are outleveled?

  9. #9
    Banned Temporary Poster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Posting between bans
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    When you say PvP is that similar to doing battlegrounds? Is it like wow, where you get crapped on if you don't have the gear or are outleveled?
    Yep same old, same old, and the jedi knights are the current arms warriors.

    Honestly, if you want a breath of fresh air, look at Rift.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    if I already had an account that HAD a sub on it, do I still need to buy coins?
    Nope. You are set to level than.

    Just be very on top of saving credits where you can.

    One trick I have is not buying skill upgrades I don't need till I am 50 and thus have access to dailies.

    IE: As a merc BH you don't really NEED rocket punch to level. Nor do you need more than 1 rank of the knock back jets move. Or more than 1 rank of the stun.

    It adds up rather quickly.
    Lv40 (Firefall) Dragonfly, Mammoth, Nighthawk, Arsenal
    Lv50 (FF14) Paladin, Warrior (Swtor) Agent, Warrior, Knight, Inquisitor, Trooper, Consular, Smuggler, Hunter
    Lv60 (NWO) Rogue, Fighter, Wizard, Guardian, Cleric (Rift) Rogue
    Lv80/85 (GW2) Thief (WoW) Rogue, Mage, Priest, Hunter, Warlock, Warrior, Death Knight, Paladin, Druid, Shaman

  11. #11
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    What class has Jedi Shadow tanking?
    Consular and Sorcerer.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary Poster View Post
    horrible pvp balance rulled by jedi knights/sith warriors.
    Meanwhile, sorc/sages are kiting knights and warriors down with 21 second dots that slow and cleansing any slow the warrior/knight throws at them. Unless they are tanks. In which case they just kind of knock them back first, then cleanse, then kite.

    edit: Man I love my sage and kiting melee.
    Lv40 (Firefall) Dragonfly, Mammoth, Nighthawk, Arsenal
    Lv50 (FF14) Paladin, Warrior (Swtor) Agent, Warrior, Knight, Inquisitor, Trooper, Consular, Smuggler, Hunter
    Lv60 (NWO) Rogue, Fighter, Wizard, Guardian, Cleric (Rift) Rogue
    Lv80/85 (GW2) Thief (WoW) Rogue, Mage, Priest, Hunter, Warlock, Warrior, Death Knight, Paladin, Druid, Shaman

  13. #13
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    11,866
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    IE: As a merc BH you don't really NEED rocket punch to level
    Oh hell no. Worst advice ever. Rocket Punch is mandatory.

  14. #14
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    415
    Also, with the LFG feature, you will be able to level through dungeons as a tank whenever you want to skip the filler content. Smuggler and Agent are the only classes without a tank spec option (just healer and dps).

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary Poster View Post
    No idea why you would choose swtor over wow. You will only find less features, clunky mechanics, extreme keybind bloat, and horrible pvp balance rulled by jedi knights/sith warriors.

    Oh crap, I just criticized swtor, which constitutes game bashing aka trolling. Inc infraction.
    Because I do not enjoy what WoW has become, there is no uniqueness to classes anymore. Gone are the days where, DK's were the tanks for Caster bosses, Druid/Warrior for the bosses that do lots of melee dmg. Or a druid/priest for aoe healing and the paladin the strong single target healer, or the pure dps classes beating the hybrids.. bassically every expansion has recycled other classes abilities with a new name and anymation.. but in the end its the same.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary Poster View Post
    No idea why you would choose swtor over wow. You will only find less features, clunky mechanics, extreme keybind bloat, and horrible pvp balance rulled by jedi knights/sith warriors.

    Oh crap, I just criticized swtor, which constitutes game bashing aka trolling. Inc infraction.
    Your post. It has no point. Why did you bother?

    On topic, I believe it is Consular that has the shadow tanking.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Oh hell no. Worst advice ever. Rocket Punch is mandatory.
    My wife is agreeing with you right now.

    "Rocket punch is the coolest move in the game. I don't care how many credits you save. The bounty hunter experience isn't complete without it" - My wife.
    Lv40 (Firefall) Dragonfly, Mammoth, Nighthawk, Arsenal
    Lv50 (FF14) Paladin, Warrior (Swtor) Agent, Warrior, Knight, Inquisitor, Trooper, Consular, Smuggler, Hunter
    Lv60 (NWO) Rogue, Fighter, Wizard, Guardian, Cleric (Rift) Rogue
    Lv80/85 (GW2) Thief (WoW) Rogue, Mage, Priest, Hunter, Warlock, Warrior, Death Knight, Paladin, Druid, Shaman

  18. #18
    edit: I will be more then likely deleting my old character, and level a new Sith Sorcerer

  19. #19
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    edit: I will be more then likely deleting my old character, and level a new Sith Sorcerer
    Good call. Your sith sorcerer has the best sarcasm in the game (even better than the smuggler).

  20. #20
    Banned Temporary Poster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Posting between bans
    Posts
    418
    Oh, btw, while playing empire, make sure you choose dark side options during conversations, like everyone else in the group, or you will be called gay and republic pussy. I'm not trolling, I'm serious, don't go against the flow.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •