Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
5
13
14
15
16
LastLast
  1. #281
    Fluffy Kitten Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I don't think any school really teaches about how high living standards those North European countries have and how much oil and fjords they've got, that's my point. Everyone knows about Germany, France, the US and the UK because they've been the biggest parts of modern history, whereas the Nordic countries had their share of the spotlight between the 14th-18th century.

    Besides, you know your country is really insignificant when most people primarily associates it with a fucking furniture company.
    It's taught here, in geography classes (which are mandatory up to uni). We go over every single European country as well as major world countries twice (once in primary school and once in high school) and we of course mention the fact Scandinavian countries are the most developed. You should be happy that pretty much all Europeans know about you and look up to you. And that's the truth, we admire you (I'm not exaggerating, that's the image of Scandinavia in my country; the heaven on Earth).

    My country is totally insignificant both globally and for Europe, which is just one of the reasons why I'm hoping one day the EU becomes a single country, at that point at least I'll know my country is of some significance. And i already prefer the European side of my identity rather than the Croatian side when I'm in the presence of non-Europeans.

  2. #282
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    It's taught here, in geography classes (which are mandatory up to uni). We go over every single European country as well as major world countries twice (once in primary school and once in high school) and we of course mention the fact Scandinavian countries are the most developed. You should be happy that pretty much all Europeans know about you and look up to you. And that's the truth, we admire you (I'm not exaggerating, that's the image of Scandinavia in my country; the heaven on Earth).

    My country is totally insignificant both globally and for Europe, which is just one of the reasons why I'm hoping one day the EU becomes a single country, at that point at least I'll know my country is of some significance. And i already prefer the European side of my identity rather than the Croatian side when I'm in the presence of non-Europeans.
    I'm happily surprised to hear that there is a country out there where Sweden isn't synonymous with IKEA and blondines.

  3. #283
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I'm happily surprised to hear that there is a country out there where Sweden isn't synonymous with IKEA and blondines.
    It's generally thought in the US to be the original source of all big boobies. The fountainhead, really.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  4. #284
    Quote Originally Posted by goombatommy View Post
    I personally do not care about Europe. At. All.
    I don't care about the US either. But it sucks that the US has to personally get involved with every country in the world, most of the time not in a good way. It's hard to get around them.

  5. #285
    Brewmaster Chry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,380
    Perhaps our GOVERNMENT has interest in Europe, however, our citizens (at least from my observations) share a very different view. The only thing about Europe that interests me is the architecture.

  6. #286
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    mention the fact Scandinavian countries are the most developed.
    I don't know where this idea comes from. Of course most scandinavian countries rank high, but together they don't form a block of most developed countries.

    For example, on this list my country ranks #3. Maybe you just saw Norway on #1 and assumed it represented all of scandinavia? (do note that things could've changed slightly since the euro crisis, but I doubt there are any major changes)

  7. #287
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    I don't know where this idea comes from. Of course most scandinavian countries rank high, but together they don't form a block of most developed countries.

    For example, on this list my country ranks #3. Maybe you just saw Norway on #1 and assumed it represented all of scandinavia? (do note that things could've changed slightly since the euro crisis, but I doubt there are any major changes)
    Great Britain is not even on that list? What Witch craft is this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  8. #288
    Quote Originally Posted by evdawg6543 View Post
    We spy on Europe because of every war that has happened. World War I, World War II...etc. christ I could even throw in the fact that Britain ruled over us in our countries early state
    Dude most of the people WERE British back then. Never forget your founding fathers came out of Europe themselves

  9. #289
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,841
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Great Britain is not even on that list? What Witch craft is this?
    The UK is listed as 28th on that list, just behind the Czech Republic.

    Strangely the US is ranked 4th, which I wouldn't have expected.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  10. #290
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    I don't know where this idea comes from. Of course most scandinavian countries rank high, but together they don't form a block of most developed countries.

    For example, on this list my country ranks #3. Maybe you just saw Norway on #1 and assumed it represented all of scandinavia? (do note that things could've changed slightly since the euro crisis, but I doubt there are any major changes)
    I think it mostly has to do with how all the Nordic countries are on top of most lists when it comes to ranking countries (even Iceland!) despite having an incredibly small population in comparison to other countries, and never being in a real state of power in modern times in some way.

    Then again, those lists can be pretty stupid at times, I seriously doubt the UK is supposed to be so low on the list. Not to mention that according to the UN Sweden would be way behind Greece in HDI in 2015, which I find unlikely (no offense, Greeks!)
    Last edited by Tomatketchup; 2012-12-07 at 09:32 PM.

  11. #291
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The UK is listed as 28th on that list, just behind the Czech Republic.

    Strangely the US is ranked 4th, which I wouldn't have expected.
    Very funny. UK is right behind Czech republic on that list.

  12. #292
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The UK is listed as 28th on that list, just behind the Czech Republic.

    Strangely the US is ranked 4th, which I wouldn't have expected.
    Well spotted, I didnt expect us to be top but strange that we are so low. I have my theories as to why but some may consider them racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  13. #293
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,841
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Well spotted, I didnt expect us to be top but strange that we are so low. I have my theories as to why but some may consider them racist.
    The UK falls down a bit in terms of years in school and robberies per capita, which drag down their overall score quite a bit.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  14. #294
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The UK falls down a bit in terms of years in school and robberies per capita, which drag down their overall score quite a bit.
    One day I will win the Lottery and move to a utopia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  15. #295
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The UK falls down a bit in terms of years in school and robberies per capita, which drag down their overall score quite a bit.

    well as the only country in europe with some money left thats worth stealing I suppose its understandable.... :P
    No game will ever kill wow. Though Blizard themselves are making a pretty damm good attempt lately.

    THE FIRST RULE OF BRAWLERS GUILD IS YOU DO NOT GET INVITED TO BRAWLERS GUILD.

  16. #296
    The Insane Catta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,963
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    One day I will win the Lottery and move to a utopia
    Norway...?

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 10:42 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    well as the only country in europe with some money left thats worth stealing I suppose its understandable.... :P
    *cough* Germany *cough*

  17. #297
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    *cough* Germany *cough*
    Isn't Germany selling negative interest bonds right now?

  18. #298
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidenx View Post
    In my opinion the USA has better scenery. I don't think anything compares if you're just matching countries. North America vs Europe is more fair.
    That's exactly what we're doing here right? *Looks at the thread title to be sure*

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 11:56 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this. But, this American could not care less about Europe. Outside of Germany and maybe the the UK the rest of the countries can wallow in thier impotent, meaningless obscurity.
    Sadly some Europeans DO care about your state seeing Jersey Shore on television here. Just so you know we now all have some vision of what you guys do out there! Oh, and it's not positive btw.. Kinda stereotype, right? Oh and before I forget, Europeans are the founding fathers of your country, and PROBABLY, you are an European descendant too.
    So think about it, we weren't insulting you guys about your ancestors who left their family and friends in Europe when bad times came. They just left with their tail between their legs and took the first boat crossing the Atlantic? We impotent, meaningless European should be proud we still live here

  19. #299
    The Lightbringer Istaril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Scotland. Freedom and So on.
    Posts
    3,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The UK falls down a bit in terms of years in school and robberies per capita, which drag down their overall score quite a bit.
    Measuring the 'UK School System' doesn't really work. The Scottish School System and the English School system work pretty differently, I don't know if the Welsh and N. Irish one is different however.

  20. #300
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Measuring the 'UK School System' doesn't really work. The Scottish School System and the English School system work pretty differently, I don't know if the Welsh and N. Irish one is different however.
    It's not my measurement. I think they just took into account the number of years the average student over the whole country stays in school.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •