Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
LastLast
  1. #101
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,047
    If you live in Oceania (Aus/NZ) then PvP is mostly a joke. It's alright to have fun and even rank up a bit, but always remember to bow to your low-latency US overlords because dodging and anything else reflex-based will have no effect most of the time, not unless you can see into the future
    Paying for tunneling services can help, but not by much (and then GW2 wouldn't exactly be free would it :P).
    I learned this quickly so I stick to PvE, but even there the delay is uber-punishing on the more difficult fights.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-12-13 at 04:35 PM.

  2. #102
    Hello,

    I am considering to buy Guild Wars 2. There's only one thing I would like to know.
    I think one of the most important parts to me of an MMORPG is the PvP system. Before I am going to read dozens of pages and hours of videos with PvP info, I would like to ask my question here.
    What I like so much about een MMORPG is that you can level your character, collect gear and weapons and progress through the game. Then, whenever you want, you can join pvp battles and fight against other players and just hope you got some good gear and weapons. If you don't, you lose and you can continue to improve and improve.

    So I would like to know if this is possible in GW2 or does this game only has the maxed out PvP mode with everyone maxed to level 80, all the skills and gear unlocked etc.?
    That would be a major drawback in my experience. What I am hoping for is some kind of "pool" with equal leveled players. So you still play your own character with your current level, gear, weapons and skills and you play against other equal leveled players in a pool. Just like the match making system in WoW's battlegrounds.

    Forgive me if I completely missunderstood the PvP system, but I hope someone can tell me if what I wish for is possible or not.

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Scryden; 2012-12-13 at 08:25 PM.

  3. #103
    Scryden,

    In WvW you can do those things that you want. In Structured pvp, it is what you don't want. So you have both systems.

    What there isn't here is a battlegrounds system like WoW/Rift/Swtor has where you can level up in pvp instances.

  4. #104
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,047
    In SPvP (structured PvP) everyone is max level with a standard set of PvP gear. It's pretty much the same as WoW Arena if you think about it, because in WoW at the beginning of every season you have to honor grind for 30-50+ hours to obtain the "standard" set of PvP gear that everyone else has before you can start competing in rated PvP.
    In GW2 there is no PvP gear grind, you are automatically dressed in the standard PvP set from the get-go. You cannot equip anything else other than the gear given to you or the gear sold by the PvP vendors. It's something WoW should've done LONG ago to avoid the fucking insane balance issues caused by PvE gear in PvP (see: trinkets, legendaries, etc).

    You can also endlessly customize your gear/gems for free and keep respeccing for free (in WoW you must purchase/cut gems and pay for respecs). However all these items and respecs are confined to the SPvP area, when you leave all of it is hidden from you and you are restored to your original level with your original gear/talents/inventory. The next time you go back to the SPvP area, all your PvP stuff, inventory and spec will re-appear again.
    It's just like an official WoW arena tournament - everyone is given an equal chance, premade stuff with endless supplies/gear/gems, etc. The rest is all skill (and gear/talent setup obviously). You are encouraged to try out everything at no cost and find what works for you.

    And then there's WPvP (World PvP), about which I know nothing and someone else will have to answer that. My best stab at an answer is that you're still made max level, but now you keep your own gear intact and it is "upscaled" to level 80-ish estimates...the better your gear, the better it scales, the better your performance...I think you can literally smash people if you have awesome gear. Maybe that's your thing. I could be totally wrong.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-12-13 at 08:38 PM.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    And then there's WPvP (World PvP), about which I know nothing and someone else will have to answer that. My best stab at an answer is that you're still made max level, but now you keep your own gear intact and it is "upscaled" to level 80-ish estimates...the better your gear, the better it scales, the better your performance...I think you can literally smash people if you have awesome gear. Maybe that's your thing. I could be totally wrong.
    Thanks. That's totally my thing. My biggest motivation in an RPG is to craft/achieve awesome gear which other people do not have and give you a big advantage in PvP.

  6. #106
    Well, I bought the game today. Looks all neat and stuff except for the performance which is horrible on my machine. I have a 6 year old pc so I decided to install it on my, in 2010 high-end, laptop.
    I have a constant fps between 20-30 in open areas and sometimes it drops even below 20... I searched the internet and found alot of other people with performance issues on high-end systems.

    My laptop specs:

    Core i7 1.6Ghz up to 3.0Ghz turboboost (really...)
    ATi mobility Radeon 5850 with 1GB memory
    4GB RAM

    I am able to run Black Ops 2 on medium with an acceptable FPS of 30 - 35. I think GW2 should be a less graphical burden on my system.
    Does anyone know a solution for this?

  7. #107
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,047
    I don't know why you think GW2 should be less stressful than BL2 on your system. BL2's engine is far, far older than GW2...not to mention it's not an MMO, it's a first person shooter, how can you even compare lol?

    The solution is to upgrade I'm afraid. GW2 is is easily one of the best-looking MMO's today. The people who have issues on high-end systems need to get their drivers sorted.

  8. #108
    Got my drivers already updated to the latest version
    The minimum requirements tell me the game needs an X1800 Radeon minimal. I know this is a minimum to even get the game running.
    I know my Radeon card is a Mobility version but it's still alot newer than an X1800. When I bought this laptop in 2010, this 5850 card was the most high-end Radeon card currently on the market so it's kinda awkward imo that I can hardly reach 30 fps with all settings on Low...

  9. #109
    Certain computer configurations seem to have problems with the game, even if at first it would seem that your hardware would be able to run the game like a champ. Have you tried posting on the official forums? There is a tech support sub forum there. They might be able to help.

  10. #110
    Their winter spvp minigame with snowball fight is really fun, too bad it's not part of the actual pvp... people want more game modes. Also the pvp community is afraid underwater combat will be added to competitive pvp
    Your lord is under attack! Your lord is under attack!

  11. #111
    Herald of the Titans Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Scryden View Post
    Well, I bought the game today. Looks all neat and stuff except for the performance which is horrible on my machine. I have a 6 year old pc so I decided to install it on my, in 2010 high-end, laptop.
    I have a constant fps between 20-30 in open areas and sometimes it drops even below 20... I searched the internet and found alot of other people with performance issues on high-end systems.

    My laptop specs:

    Core i7 1.6Ghz up to 3.0Ghz turboboost (really...)
    ATi mobility Radeon 5850 with 1GB memory
    4GB RAM

    I am able to run Black Ops 2 on medium with an acceptable FPS of 30 - 35. I think GW2 should be a less graphical burden on my system.
    Does anyone know a solution for this?
    I play GW2 with high settings on a I7 2600, Radeon 6850, 10g ram and it runs smooth. Even with a bunch of players on the screen at once.

    On the topic of this thread....I like how they do PVP in GW2, which is basically instanced, so I donot have to mess with it or worry about flagging, etc. So PVP in GW2 is great from my perspective.

  12. #112
    WvW is basically a shitty copy of DAoC's RvR with nonexistent class balance, annoying gear grind, atrocious reward system, quasi-instanced zones crippled by a flawed opponent matching system and quite simply no viable environment for good PvP to develop.

    SPvP doesn't suffer from these problems, but ultimately also falls flat due to several constraints on the player's influence on the game (similarly to, but not nearly as horrible as GW1). Floaty controls, severely limited camera distance and field of vision as well as biased, incompetent or deluded designers have thwarted a properly functioning implementation of an otherwise well-designed system.

  13. #113
    The Patient Laerath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Feranor View Post
    WvW is basically a shitty copy of DAoC's RvR with nonexistent class balance, annoying gear grind, atrocious reward system, quasi-instanced zones crippled by a flawed opponent matching system and quite simply no viable environment for good PvP to develop.

    SPvP doesn't suffer from these problems, but ultimately also falls flat due to several constraints on the player's influence on the game (similarly to, but not nearly as horrible as GW1). Floaty controls, severely limited camera distance and field of vision as well as biased, incompetent or deluded designers have thwarted a properly functioning implementation of an otherwise well-designed system.
    Rofl someones overly high expectations didnt come through. On topic GW2 pvp is fine a lot more balanced and fun than other mmo games offering of pvp. The fact i don't have to grind gear will always be a winner for me.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Feranor View Post
    WvW is basically a shitty copy of DAoC's RvR with nonexistent class balance, annoying gear grind, atrocious reward system, quasi-instanced zones crippled by a flawed opponent matching system and quite simply no viable environment for good PvP to develop.

    SPvP doesn't suffer from these problems, but ultimately also falls flat due to several constraints on the player's influence on the game (similarly to, but not nearly as horrible as GW1). Floaty controls, severely limited camera distance and field of vision as well as biased, incompetent or deluded designers have thwarted a properly functioning implementation of an otherwise well-designed system.
    aaaahh, how nostalgia clouds the mind. people so easily forget just how flawed the RvR system in DAoC really was, it's actually quite entertaining.
    Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!!!

    Guild Wars 2: Odeezee (Necromancer) || TERA: Odeezee (Archer-Ret) || SWTOR: Odeezee (Sith Inquisitor-Ret/Jedi Sage-Ret) || GW: Odeezee Fosho (Elementalist-Ret)
    Aion: Odeezee (Sorcerer-Ret), ODZ (Spirit Master-Ret) || War
    : Odeezee (Sorcerer-Ret) || AoC: Odeezee (Demonologist-Ret) || WoW: Odeezee (Druid-Ret), Thaone (Mage-Ret)

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    PvP wise it's one of the best games out there.
    This pretty much nails it IMO.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 05:30 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    If you live in Oceania (Aus/NZ) then PvP is mostly a joke. It's alright to have fun and even rank up a bit, but always remember to bow to your low-latency US overlords because dodging and anything else reflex-based will have no effect most of the time, not unless you can see into the future
    Paying for tunneling services can help, but not by much (and then GW2 wouldn't exactly be free would it :P).
    I learned this quickly so I stick to PvE, but even there the delay is uber-punishing on the more difficult fights.
    What latency do you normally get?

  16. #116
    The Lightbringer jvbastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Flanders
    Posts
    3,571
    WvW is pretty sweet if the 3 servers are fairly equally matched. Having some good commanders on either sides helps a lot as well.
    I haven't had a lot of experience in sPvP but that'll come soon enough now that I can focus on the game a bit more
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

  17. #117
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    What latency do you normally get?
    Make what you want out of this : /



    I don't know whether it was very clever or very stupid of ArenaNet to skip having an ingame latency meter/indicator...like every online game has had for the last 10 years....

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Make what you want out of this : /



    I don't know whether it was very clever or very stupid of ArenaNet to skip having an ingame latency meter/indicator...like every online game has had for the last 10 years....
    Or you know, a gear inspection system and a trade system? Like every MMORPG has had for the last 10 years.....or at least most of them.

    Would really like to know why Anet didn't put in a gear inspection system like WoW's? Is there a need for it? It would be nice to see people's builds and gear.

  19. #119
    A player to player trade system would be nice, sure. A gear inspection system? Meh

  20. #120
    Would really like to know why Anet didn't put in a gear inspection system like WoW's? Is there a need for it? It would be nice to see people's builds and gear.
    Then you get the elitest's kicking people for not running the right build, or having full exotics.

    It's not needed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •