Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

How is Guild Wars 2 PVP?

Hey guys

I meant to get GW2 on launch but was busy and so was thinking of getting it for over xmas.

I wanted to know what the games like for PvP only, is there any arenas? how does it compare to WoW?

Thanks for any info I wont like it if the PvP is bad!

PvP wise it's one of the best games out there.

There are no arena's because so far there is only 1 type of game. "Capture the point" style. And each map has a unique secondary goal that improves odds in battle.
    I have faith that someday they will introduce other type of games, but since they are focusing on making it a E-sport they are really going for balance on that. Let's see.
    Room for much improvement.
    One of the bad things is that there aren't a huge variety of builds for PvP, but they said they are going to adress that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    PvP wise it's one of the best games out there.

There are no arena's because so far there is only 1 type of game. "Capture the point" style. And each map has a unique secondary goal that improves odds in battle.
    I have faith that someday they will introduce other type of games, but since they are focusing on making it a E-sport they are really going for balance on that. Let's see.
    Room for much improvement.
    One of the bad things is that there aren't a huge variety of builds for PvP, but they said they are going to adress that.
    so is it worth trying? 1 game type seems like a bit of a grind? how is levelling to max level and gearing to be on an even level in pvp

There is no leveling in organized PVP of Guild Wars 2. Every one has max level, all skills and equal gear access. Its a totally fair system. As soon as you enter SPVP lobby you are a maxed out character.

Ranks in organized PVP allow for more cosmetic gear access. Essentially armor & weapon "skins". You will never get stronger items in SPVP.

The only PVP leveling is in World vs. World. Which is intended to be casual, imbalanced PVP by nature of design. It's just something you do for fun.

We have a number of stickies:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...and-Discussion
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tiated-READ-ME!

I would suggest you educate yourself on the game a bit.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-12-06 at 07:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There is no leveling in organized PVP of Guild Wars 2. Every one has max level, all skills and equal gear access. Its a totally fair system. As soon as you enter SPVP lobby you are a maxed out character.

Ranks in organized PVP allow for more cosmetic gear access. Essentially armor & weapon "skins". You will never get stronger items in SPVP.

The only PVP leveling is in World vs. World. Which is intended to be casual, imbalanced PVP by nature of design. It's just something you do for fun.
    so its like 1 is a WoW regular BG and 1 is like a RGB with everyone in equal level gear? Isnt that hard for noobs to understand the organised pvp then with instantly having a max character?

Also when you say organised, can you just join a random one or do you need a full team etc?

Quote Originally Posted by infernouk View Post
    so its like 1 is a WoW regular BG and 1 is like a RGB with everyone in equal level gear? Isnt that hard for noobs to understand the organised pvp then with instantly having a max character?

Also when you say organised, can you just join a random one or do you need a full team etc?
    No.

SPVP has a number of capture point style maps. More like a MOBA.

World vs. World is mock open world PVP where 3 differnt servers battle for outposts on a large map. It's like a never ending AV with 3 factions.

Read:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    No.

SPVP has a number of capture point style maps. More like a MOBA.

World vs. World is mock open world PVP where 3 differnt servers battle for outposts on a large map. It's like a never ending AV with 3 factions.

Read:

ok thanks for the help, the balance of the game sounds good, its the thing i like least about wow

If you like a more action "fast-paced" pvp yes. It's fun.

The maps are very different, and play very differently than the others. They launched the game with 3 maps, and in 3-4 months they launched 2 more. And One of the patches in January or February they said it will be for Pvp and WvW.

I'm sure you can find how the PvP really is on the mass info thread, or anywhere really, Ill be short.
    Pvp on gw2 is different in a few aspects. At level 2 in PvE you can go to the PvP lobby and you will be upgraded to level 80, you will have all spells and skills unlocked, and traits (kinda of talents) too. You can buy any weapons, gear, runes, necklaces for free. And on the lobby there is a huge "training" area with everything you need. It's not THAT hard to be level 2 and jump to 80, you can manage with a few trial and error judgement but personally it's a lot easier when you get the class feeling on PvE into a higher level and then PvP. It's easier.
    Anyway, there is that. And also there is no progression for pvp, no one has a better gear than the other. Everything is free and you can change pretty much anytime for free. The rewards from pvp are merely cosmetical like Dyes, Finishers and cosmetic pvp gear (that are the same stats as the free you can buy, only prettier). Also PvP doesn't level you up, doesnt give you experience for PvE.

The only pvp that IS affected by level is WvW.
    WvW is a massive pvp scale, 1 map divided by 4. Where 3 Servers in GW2 battle for points and the sum of the points gives that server some bonus in craftings, gathering etc. And you are still brought up to level 80 (hp wise and all) but you still only have the skills you unlocked so far at that point in time, and your gear is crappier then someone elses. And a lvl 80 has alot more Traits than a lvl 30 which makes a big difference. This pvp does give exp, and loot even, and even tho this is affected by traits and gear and skill aquisition, it's pretty possible to kick a lvl 80 enemy or 2 with a level 40.

Anyways, you can find more about in another thread.

Zil, you weren't short at all. >.>

Deleted
    Ok, so i guess its still worth levelling 1-80 outside of pvp then, whats the average time for that?

Also if you can pvp from level 2 that means you can play every class? Kinda hard to stick with one isnt it?

Ok, so i guess its still worth levelling 1-80 outside of pvp then, whats the average time for that?

Also if you can pvp from level 2 that means you can play every class? Kinda hard to stick with one isnt it?
    The Guild Wars series is casual focused above all. It's a pick-up & go/drop-in drop-out game series. They haven't yet reneged on that aspect of design.

If you want to PVP as a Warrior on Tuesday, Ranger of Wednesday, Elementalist on Thursday-- the game doesn't toss many barriers at you for doing so.

Leveling in the "real world" of Guild Wars 2, that is to say non-structured PVP, can take about a week or so if you are a no bullshit MMO leveler. If you are Charlie Casual who RP walks across the glen marveling at flowers... significantly longer to level.

Structured pvp is garbage.

WvW is perfect best thing in the game.. (seriously).
    Guild Wars 2 Was A Lie

Deleted
    Ok sounds like it might be wroth giving it a go then with only a week to level a character and balanced pvp!

any tips on good pvp classes or is it really that balanced?

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally think the SPvP in Gw2 is really bad. Having the single game type(conquest) makes it feel very repetitive. The developers of Anet have already said numerous times that they will not ever be adding any more game modes. I personally wouldn't ever recommend this game to someone that is looking for a PvP game. If you want a PvP game, go to Planetside 2(I can't get into it, but see where it shines), LoL or just about anything else really. The game is worth buying for a single PvE play through though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    I personally think the SPvP in Gw2 is really bad. Having the single game type(conquest) makes it feel very repetitive. The developers of Anet have already said numerous times that they will not ever be adding any more game modes. I personally wouldn't ever recommend this game to someone that is looking for a PvP game. If you want a PvP game, go to Planetside 2(I can't get into it, but see where it shines), LoL or just about anything else really. The game is worth buying for a single PvE play through though.
    ah well arena in wow is 1 thing over and over with some diff maps, i dont want a game like LoL i got bored, id just stick with wow if nothing better

10+ Year Old Account
    ah well arena in wow is 1 thing over and over with some diff maps, i dont want a game like LoL i got bored, id just stick with wow if nothing better
    It feels like doing EOTS and AB over and over again. Honestly, the biggest issue isn't the game modes, but more the game itself. The game/combat is too "shallow" for me to take it serious in PvE or PvP. If it wasn't for the game just not being that great, I still wouldn't recommend it for PvP because of the repetition.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't buy the game for PvP. If you think you will enjoy it go ahead, I just wouldn't recommend it.
    It's hard to believe that these are the same developers as GW1.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    It feels like doing EOTS and AB over and over again. Honestly, the biggest issue isn't the game modes, but more the game itself. The game/combat is too "shallow" for me to take it serious in PvE or PvP. If it wasn't for the game just not being that great, I still wouldn't recommend it for PvP because of the repetition.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't buy the game for PvP. If you think you will enjoy it go ahead, I just wouldn't recommend it.
    It's hard to believe that these are the same developers as GW1.
    hmm its going for £29 which is less than a console game so not that much wasted if its boring, though i would prefer smaller 3v3 based pvp, i find wow very complex and a simplified experience might make a nice change

First off is you have to decide if you enjoy the combat. GW2's combat is more of a hybrid of a moba and fps. It has the skills similarities of a moba with the movement of an fps. Hits are either conal or aoe based so your position and movement is key to be effective. However, if you enjoy typical mmo combat (which relies on numbers and dice rolls a lot more) then this combat might not be your cup of tea.

If you enjoy the combat, I most certainly do, then the pvp is great fun.

Gw2 has ALOT of great ideas but I don't really think that it has to this point turned out the way alot of us were hoping it would. I feel like if you're not playing with a group of friends WvW is quite dull. You basically get rocked and then spend 10 minutes trying to find some action again. I'm probably not doing it right but I really think the game has a ton of upside. They do need to fix the fact that you cannot jump shot as a caster. Backpeddling is not fun and it's kind of a major slap in the face to PvP'ers imo. But I do hope they tweak some things because I would very much like to love this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    So in other MMO's players don't have to be in a certain range to perform melee attacks, or a certain arc to perform cone attacks, or a certain distance to perform PBAoE attacks?
    With every ability? No. Also other mmos have certain stats like To Hit that determine if you hit the target or not. Here it's not like that.

Also as an example, every single melee attack in GW2 has a conal range. If you multiple opponents in that range you will hit them. In wow, as an example, unless it's specifically stated it is a cone affect you will only damage your target.

One other mmo has a similar style with the melee combat and that is AoC, so if you have played that then you'll get the idea (except GW2 doesn't have the left, right, up, down type combo).