10+ Year Old Account

Will my new laptop run Sw:tor on high-ultra?

Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop, and are wondering if my computer will be able to run it on high or ultra with the following specs:

Screen: 15.6” FullHD-LED AntiGlare panel 1920x1080

Graphics: AMD HD7970m 2GB

Harddrive: 360GB Sata3 SSD (No HDD in it)

Ram: Kingston 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM

Processor: Intel Core i7-3610QM 4x2,30GHz (Turbo 3.30GHz) Ivy Bridge

What do you think? And thanks in advance!
    Btw, I'm thinking of going with only 8GB ram to save some money. Would it affect the outcome much?

Deleted
    should do mate nice laptop there

It should run with everything on max, without slowing down even in heavy processing situations.

I'm only familiar with nVidia GPU cards, but everything else looks top notch. Just FYI, they came out with new models of CPU's like a month or two ago. the 3610 would definitely suffice but more are becoming standard with the (i wanna say 3630 or 3640?). I think they're only like 100 MHz faster though

15+ Year Old Account
    you only need about 2.8ghz and 8gb of ram. you gooooooood

just make sure you're well vented. TOR used to make my desktop run real hot, but its gotten better... still hotter than WoW on ultra settings tho.

sounds like a pretty sweet laptop.

2 suggestions for you though

1) I'd go 16gb of ram, it's cheap. And while it may not be completely necessary now, it might be in a year.
    2) There's another thread on this SWTOR forum that talks about computer builds, and there is the suggestion that the i7 is pointless because it only adds hyper-threading (I think that's the term) and it's useless for most applications and it's primary function is to allow for better video streaming. Thus while you are on a laptop, You'd probably not stream very much, thus it might be more beneficial to go with an i5 processor and save a little cash and/or put it into more memory.

Out of curiousity, how much is/was the laptop. I'm currently in the market for both laptop and desktop and debating which to get first. Current laptop won't play SWTOR, but I'm not sure how much I'd use it for it though. Current pricing for me is about $1000, i5 processor, 1tb video card, 16gb DDR3, 750gb 7200 hd, same 15" type screen. And still debating between Windows 7 vs 8.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the answers guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    sounds like a pretty sweet laptop.

2 suggestions for you though

1) I'd go 16gb of ram, it's cheap. And while it may not be completely necessary now, it might be in a year.
    2) There's another thread on this SWTOR forum that talks about computer builds, and there is the suggestion that the i7 is pointless because it only adds hyper-threading (I think that's the term) and it's useless for most applications and it's primary function is to allow for better video streaming. Thus while you are on a laptop, You'd probably not stream very much, thus it might be more beneficial to go with an i5 processor and save a little cash and/or put it into more memory.

Out of curiousity, how much is/was the laptop. I'm currently in the market for both laptop and desktop and debating which to get first. Current laptop won't play SWTOR, but I'm not sure how much I'd use it for it though. Current pricing for me is about $1000, i5 processor, 1tb video card, 16gb DDR3, 750gb 7200 hd, same 15" type screen. And still debating between Windows 7 vs 8.
    The laptop is a custom-made one at a local shop called Mm-Vision (I live in Denmark, btw), and is about 10.000 DKK, which would be 1,738 US Dollars or 1,340 Euro
    Btw did the new latop you'd buy for $1000 have the specs you mentioned? If so, wow! Thats freakin nice
    Last edited by aoussar123; 2012-12-06 at 10:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aoussar123 View Post
    Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop, and are wondering if my computer will be able to run it on high or ultra with the following specs:

Screen: 15.6” FullHD-LED AntiGlare panel 1920x1080

Graphics: AMD HD7970m 2GB

Harddrive: 360GB Sata3 SSD (No HDD in it)

Ram: Kingston 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM

Processor: Intel Core i7-3610QM 4x2,30GHz (Turbo 3.30GHz) Ivy Bridge

What do you think? And thanks in advance!
    Btw, I'm thinking of going with only 8GB ram to save some money. Would it affect the outcome much?
    It'll run great. Get a cooling pad tho. It will get hot.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G