Deleted

Cleared MSV tonight - what next?

So our 10 man guild raids twice a week, 3 hours per night. We just cleared all of MSV normal tonight for the first time so are looking to get started on HoF on Monday.
    My question is: for how much longer do you guys think we should farm MSV? There isn't that much great loot in there anymore but certainly there are upgrades to be had. And the more time we spend in HoF the faster we will progress...

I'd say currently the ilvl of an average raider in our group is 480.
    Thanks

Deleted
    MSV should be roughly 1 - 1 1/2 hours so there's plenty time for HoF. I think you should use every upgrade you might get, Garalon is actually quite hard for most "casual" raids

Don't forget about all those raid epics you can DE for blood spirits, which will help make some of that higher ilevel gear, and if nothing else you sell it for big bucks on the AH.

However, time is valuable, so it will depend on how well geared out your raid is.

PS grats on getting though MV, we managed to do that just last week (we raid 2 1/2 hours 3 days a week).

10+ Year Old Account
    I am in a similar boat. My raid lead seems to be hellbent on clearing MSV each week even though our raid times so far doesn't leave much time for HoF, much less ToES. Now I know some good gear drops in MSV, but I would think we should at least make some progress towards HoF as a group, otherwise raiding seems stagnant. As it stands now I am free to pug HoF after our weekly raids are over, but I would much rather clear HoF with my group, even at the expense of some gear drops in MSV.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but from my own anecdotal evidence of clearing MSV with guild and pugging 2/6 HoF that the first two at least in HoF are easier than Elegon, so if he isn't too much for your raiders I don't think a concerted effort in HoF will be wasted for you. Even if you just down a few bosses there will be some improved loot, and your raiders will feel better about their progress.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    i would say that HoF is more about mechanics than gear tbh. garalon excepted. after a few pulls on the first 2 bosses you should be abble to get them on farm pretty quickly, they arent hard. (from a guild that is 3/6 HoF on both 10 and as of tonight 25, (yay for filling out our roster!) so im not in one of those crazy good guilds that thinks all normal modes are easy ) i say the quicker you move to HoF the better. get those 496 pieces from the first two and you will not only be able to farm MSV quicker, but garalon should become easier too. also, HC stoneguards is a piece of cake so maybe try that? we havent even pulled feng HC yet but i have heard he is also very easy

edit: you WILL need more than 480 ilvl to kill garalon. the enrage is tight for a casual guild. example, we 4-healed it tonight on 25man and still had a few wipes to enrage (although ~4 of our dps were mainspec healers and as such doing 40k dps or so). but my point stands, the 496 gear from first 2 bosses in HoF will help much more than the 489 from MSV, so go for it!
    Last edited by Viggers; 2012-12-06 at 10:51 PM.

I'd say focus the raidhours on HoF, and let your members pug MSV - if they have 480 and achivement, it's easy to get into a 6/6 pug. If you're doing this, you also wont have to worry about burnout, because the members who dosen't need loot won't PuG it, however the guys who still need loot will be encouraged to pug it and therefore do it without feeling burned out.

So - Focus on HoF and let members pug MSV if they feel they need the loot and let them do it when they have time to do it. Good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    I clear 10m Norm MSV in close to an hour every week with my group, and we're still just barely making the dps check for Garalon. (Granted 1 or 2 people are being carried)
    I think you should keep farming MSV until there's few upgrades you can still get from it. Maybe even progress into the first 2 bosses in HoF while you farm for gear, maybe get some more 496 pieces. The first 2 in there are relatively easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do one quick clear of it on normal so that you have a personal guild time for how long it takes to farm. This time will decrease with gear a repetition, so use this as your max time going forward.

Factor this into your raid times and then do your farm run after progression time. This allows you to work on new raids or heroic modes of old raids while still increasing your gear threshhold each week. If you ever hit a point where no one needs gear from the place or where the gear gain is inferior then you can easily drop it from your schedule, but until that point gearing up will also have a complimentary effect on your progression and on morale if progression stalls.

The reason to do the farm run after the progression is that people will usually stick around a little longer if necessary to clear farm content, but will often leave if progression stalls, so doing farming at the end of the week means you'll always have people staying to clear, while leading with farming sometimes (especially in casual groups) will cause people to occasionally "have something come up" and bail when time comes for progression. The other advantage is that if you're short people early in the week for progression, you can still usually clear farm content and then progress if everyone shows up the next day for "farm night", whereas if you lead with farm content you might not have people show up after.

Yes, this is cynical, but that's my experience from more casual raids, especially as WoW aged.

It really depends on how many people in your raid need loot as well as how fast you can clear MSV.

If your average is 480, you all could probably pick up a couple pieces. But the big ones to note would be weapons (Starshatter, Elegion, Shield from Spirit Kings, Torch, Wand) and trinkets (Elegon/Will mostly).

I'd start in HoF and see how you progress (you will probably down 1-2 bosses first night if you are lucky) and then based on how demoralized people are you can lead them back into MSV for some free epics.

Then once you are 4/6 HoF or so or when no one needs anything big you can put it as an alt raid or on an off night or something.

Pretty logical really.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    also, why wouldnt you try HoF if your clearing MSV quickly

Deleted
    Thanks for all the responses everyone. Some great points made.

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Viggers View Post
    also, why wouldnt you try HoF if your clearing MSV quickly
    I meant on both raidnights.

Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    Do one quick clear of it on normal so that you have a personal guild time for how long it takes to farm. This time will decrease with gear a repetition, so use this as your max time going forward.

Factor this into your raid times and then do your farm run after progression time. This allows you to work on new raids or heroic modes of old raids while still increasing your gear threshhold each week. If you ever hit a point where no one needs gear from the place or where the gear gain is inferior then you can easily drop it from your schedule, but until that point gearing up will also have a complimentary effect on your progression and on morale if progression stalls.

The reason to do the farm run after the progression is that people will usually stick around a little longer if necessary to clear farm content, but will often leave if progression stalls, so doing farming at the end of the week means you'll always have people staying to clear, while leading with farming sometimes (especially in casual groups) will cause people to occasionally "have something come up" and bail when time comes for progression. The other advantage is that if you're short people early in the week for progression, you can still usually clear farm content and then progress if everyone shows up the next day for "farm night", whereas if you lead with farm content you might not have people show up after.

Yes, this is cynical, but that's my experience from more casual raids, especially as WoW aged.
    This is a good idea, and might be helpful advice for my casual guild actually. I don't think it's cynical; casual raiders are just more dependent on morale.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    Have fun on Garalon with 480 ilvl.
    What's wrong with garalon with 480 ilvl? I think it's perfectly doable (we had arround this ilvl). It takes some tries to squeeze out the most DPS. But of course you should:
    1. Prepot
    2. Use Heroism/Bloodlust right at the start (most stuff will proc + you have prepot)
    3. Use the second Pot somewhere in the fight (best is if you can go for a leg)
    4. Two heal it
    5. Use Raid CDs for the crush ability
    6. Assign those people to kiting who can also DPS while they are kiting
    7. put only melees in circles for legs. casters are only allowed if they don't have to move too far, otherwise they should stay on the boss - cleaving is appreciated depending on class

But I agree that Garalon is one of the harder bosses. Our Raid had problems on Windlord too and of course Shek'zeer (well actually I think those weren't problems, but she should just be a little bit harder ). The other bosses are fairly simple.