698. This poll is closed
  • Yes!

148 21.20%
  • No!

550 78.80%
Page 1 of 32
... LastLast

12.21.12: Official Thread

So the Earth will supposedly cease to exist on December 21 2012. Do you think it will happen?

The 2012 phenomenon comprises a range of eschatological beliefs according to which cataclysmic or transformative events will occur on 21 December 2012. This date is regarded as the end-date of a 5125-year-long cycle in the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar. Various astronomical alignments and numerological formulae have been proposed as pertaining to this date, though none have been accepted by mainstream scholarship.

A New Age interpretation of this transition is that the date marks the start of time in which Earth and its inhabitants may undergo a positive physical or spiritual transformation, and that 21 December 2012 may mark the beginning of a new era. Others suggest that the date marks the end of the world or a similar catastrophe. Scenarios suggested for the end of the world include the arrival of the next solar maximum, an interaction between Earth and the black hole at the center of the galaxy, or Earth's collision with a planet called "Nibiru".

Scholars from various disciplines have dismissed the idea of such cataclysmic events occurring in 2012. Professional Mayanist scholars state that predictions of impending doom are not found in any of the extant classic Maya accounts, and that the idea that the Long Count calendar "ends" in 2012 misrepresents Maya history and culture, while astronomers have rejected the various proposed doomsday scenarios as pseudoscience, stating that they conflict with simple astronomical observations.
    Last edited by Peso; 2012-12-17 at 08:00 PM.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Last day of work on the 21st.

I'll be opening a beer and getting ready for the weekend.

10+ Year Old Account
    End of a calendar =/= end of the world people. I thought we had been over this already. Using that logic the world would end every year.

Anyone with some common sense would never ask this question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Making this the "official" thread and redirecting everything here. Since it's about time, I guess it's a good time to start talking about it.

Though there's nothing to talk about, because nothing will happen.

At least I'll have an excuse to spend my birthday alone this year

In my mood right now. I hope it does. Too much shit has happened in the past 3 months.

NOTY life, not dealing with you anymore.
    Sweeter than yo mama's apple pie.

Deleted
    Doubt earth will cease to exist,if anything than this filthy virus called humanity will

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Making this the "official" thread and redirecting everything here. Since it's about time, I guess it's a good time to start talking about it.

Though there's nothing to talk about, because nothing will happen.
    Wrong.

Drunken parties will happen.

I'm not bothered, but I'd prefer not eternal damnation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Hey, when I tried to say that it wasn't going to happen I got told off that I'm no fun... so, now I'm like, going to play along.

I'm totally going to go cray-cray and blow all my savings on a big party!
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably definitely not but I'm pretty sure yes.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    No because i'm not a fucking moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    End of a calendar =/= end of the world people. I thought we had been over this already. Using that logic the world would end every year.
    Not even the end of all of their calenders, just the set. This was their long run calender and other calenders have been found that go Further then 12-21-12. Heck, some people thought the end was back in November. It is funny to laugh at the idiots who think something will happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    The world will end on the 31st of December. After all, its when the Gregorian calendar ends.

Still, gonna see if I can use it as an excuse to not go to work. "Sorry boss, can't come in, world is ending."
    Putin khuliyo

12 - 21 - 12, seriously? People buy that crap?

10+ Year Old Account
    mm i'll be spending time with my dad the whole week before christmas so if something happens least i'll see my dad one last time but nothing will happen so meh :3

A New Age interpretation of this transition is that the date marks the start of time in which Earth and its inhabitants may undergo a positive physical or spiritual transformation, and that Dec. 21, 2012 may mark the beginning of a new era.[8] Others suggest that the date marks the end of the world or a similar catastrophe. Scenarios suggested for the end of the world include the arrival of the next solar maximum, an interaction between Earth and the black hole at the center of the galaxy,[9] or Earth's collision with a planet called "Nibiru".
    Dont know how many times I have to link this to these threads, the prediction isn't fully understood and isn't necessarily end of the world as you can see above
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Wrong.

Drunken parties will happen.
    And people getting fired from their jobs the next day.

There you go, you can add this to the first post

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...11&sec=11&p0=0

only a million and a quarter seconds to go!