Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help with picking parts

So basically i'm building a new computer, and my budget is on the high end, but how high is it worth going?

There will be a gtx690 card in there, but is there any actual difference in the Gainward and Asus card? Gainward is 1019 MHz "coreclock", whilst the Asus one has 915Mhz "coreclock". Will i notice any difference, and have i missed out something, as the asus one is in fact a tiny bit more expensive but seem to have less stats?

When it comes to the CPU, i'm wondering wether to take a LGA-1055 socket with an Intel® Core i7-3770K (Quad Core, 3.5GHz, 8MB, 77W, HD4000), or go all the way and do a LGA2011 socket and Intel® Core i7-3930K ( 6-Core, 3.2GHz, 12MB, 130W).
    How much difference is it really when it comes to gaming? Will it help when streaming by alot?
    Maybe there is even more factors that should be a deciding factor that i've missed?

Any help would be great =)
    As a response to the crowds whining about PvE beeing too hard throughout vanilla and TBC Blizzard recently hired on Bob the Builder.
    In a recent press confrence on the subject he was quoted as saying "Can we fix it? Yes we can!".

You should fill out this form so we can better help you to build a complete PC.

Budget
    Resolution
    Games / Settings Desired
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Country
    Parts that can be reused
    Do you need an OS?
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

If you're needing that much power for your GPU (120hz, triple montiors, 1440-1600p resolution?), I would definitely suggest going with Crossfire 7970's instead of a 690. It's going to save you quite a bit of money and be just as powerful. But without knowing all the other factors, it's going to be difficult for us to really recommend you parts for your rig.

Budget : 20.000 NoK (Norwegian Kroner) - can reach 21K if worth the diffrence
    Resolution : Atleast full HD
    Games / Settings Desired : I play WoW, D3, Dota 2, HoN and starcraft 2 mostly - i want the very best settings and good fps
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) : Yes, i do alot of photoshopping with really heavy images as i got a 1Ds camera and make alot of HDR images. Also some 3D modelling and video rendering.
    Parts that can be reused : I want to build the computer from scaratch as my "old" computer is gona be built into a media center.
    Do you need an OS? Yes
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? Not really.

Edit:
    An actual answear to the question in the OP would also be nice, as i'm also capable of picking the other parts, it's just that I'm doing charitywork in Kenya for the last 3 months and are soon going back to Norway - and browsing the net for info down here is suuuuuuuuuper slow

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 09:42 AM ----------

As an example, would this computer do what i want?

PSU: Silver Power SP-S850 850W PSU ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Standard, 4x 6+2pin PCIe, 12x SATA, 7x Molex
    CPU: Intel® Core i7-3770K Processor Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.5GHz, 8MB, 77W, HD4000
    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO, Socket-1155 ATX, Z77, DDR3, 2xG3+1xG2-PCIe-x16,SLI/CFX, VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP, WiFi, DLNA, UEFI
    Watercooler: Intel® High Performance Liquid Cooling for Socket-LGA1155, LGA1156, LGA1366 and LGA2011
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz 32GB CL10 Kit w/4x 8B OR Corsair Dominator DDR3 1866MHz 16GB Kit w/4x4GB
    GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 690 4GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 3.0
    SSD: Corsair SSD Force Series 3, 240GB 2.5" SATA 6 Gb/s (SATA3.0), 550MB/520MB/s read/write, SandForce® SF-2281, w/bracket
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda® 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 3.5"
    B-ray/dvd : Lite-On DVD/Blu-Ray Reader, iHOS104-06

Built in a CM Storm Trooper Gaming Big Tower
    Last edited by Cyone; 2012-12-07 at 08:57 AM.
    As a response to the crowds whining about PvE beeing too hard throughout vanilla and TBC Blizzard recently hired on Bob the Builder.
    In a recent press confrence on the subject he was quoted as saying "Can we fix it? Yes we can!".

Everything looks good. Just curious, what's the "intel watercooler" that you have on there? I would go with something such as the Corsair H80i or H100i if you want to have a closed loop cooler. I'd also go with the 32Gb of ram since you'll be doing rendering and photoshopping. You could go with the 3930k if you wanted to, you would most likely see some gains in rendering and photoshop, but you'd only see a 1-3 fps increase in gaming, which with the 690 isn't going to make any difference at all. As far as the 690, the Asus has a 915 "core clock" but has a boost clock of 1019, which would mean that it's equal to the gainward card. I would go with whichever brand you're comfortable with.
    Last edited by Shiromar; 2012-12-07 at 05:54 PM.

First off: this is the watercooler : http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=656310&CKS=PCW

If i where to alter the setup, to something that is just about the same price, wich setup would be the stronger?

The one above, OR :
    PSU: Corsair TX 750W PSU ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Standard. 4x 6+2-pin PCIe, 8x SATA
    CPU: Intel® Core i7-3820 Processor Socket-LGA2011, Quad Core, 3.6GHz, 10MB, 130W
    Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 LE
    Watercooler: Intel® High Performance Liquid Cooling for Socket-LGA1155, LGA1156, LGA1366 and LGA2011
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz 32GB CL10 Kit w/4x 8B
    GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 680 4GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 3.0, "DirectCU II ", GDDR5, DL-DVI-I+DL-DVI-D, HDMI, DP, 1006MHz AND ZOTAC GeForce GTX 680 4GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 3.0, set up in SLI OR ASUS GeForce GTX 690 4GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 3.0
    SSD and HDD would be the same, and it would also be built in a CM Storm Trooper Gaming Big Tower

With the later I have the LGA2011 socket, and putting an Intel® Core i7-3930K Processor Socket-LGA2011, 6-Core, 3.2GHz, 12MB, 130W instead of the one listed is also an option, altho it's quite alot more expencive, would it be worth it?

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.98 @ Outlet PC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($81.51 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($216.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Corsair Neutron Series GTX 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Corsair Neutron Series GTX 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($469.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($469.99 @ Amazon)
    Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($180.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($125.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $2850.36
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-07 14:55 EST-0500)

overkill and still headroom in budget lol (20k NOK = 2,7k euro = 3.7k dollar us is what i used)
    perhaps screen(s) and other peripherals needed?
    perhaps convert this list and see what the real price at your site of buying would be?

edit: crap forget storage HDD and ofc the 2 ssd's are intended for raid0 setup so count another +$125 for a 2TB WD black/green
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2012-12-07 at 08:03 PM.

Possibly a silyy question, but including shipping all the way to Norway for free? sounds not very normal - also, in Norway you have to pay a 24% tax when you import something - so that have to be added in as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyone View Post
    Possibly a silyy question, but including shipping all the way to Norway for free? sounds not very normal - also, in Norway you have to pay a 24% tax when you import something - so that have to be added in as well.
    not my intention , just used partpicker due to their tool so the OP or some other norwegian here can cross link parts to nordic site and get the price in actual NOK instead of my guesswork. (im decent at foreign languages but nordic ones are a step too far to comprehend)

Lucky those living outside Norway ..
    Your setup ends up at 24612 NOK before shipping even, and that would be a few hundred, so it will be like 25K nok .. =/

Deleted
    Lucky those living outside Norway ..
    Your setup ends up at 24612 NOK before shipping even, and that would be a few hundred, so it will be like 25K nok .. =/
    and what if you ditch 1 ssd and the soundcard? (guessing still over budget then)
    else it is easy to go a cpu notch down to a i7-3770k instead and that should still give enough performance for whatever the guy got in mind to do with it. (unless he really needs 6cores for something specific)
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2012-12-07 at 08:58 PM.

Sound card is like 1200 and same with disc, so still over budget.
    However both of the above listings i can get for 20K as some of the parts are on pre-christmas sale, so i think i just have to decide wich CPU to pick, and wheter to go dual GTX 680 4GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 3.0 or a single 690

Deleted
    Sound card is like 1200 and same with disc, so still over budget.
    However both of the above listings i can get for 20K as some of the parts are on pre-christmas sale, so i think i just have to decide wich CPU to pick, and wheter to go dual GTX 680 4GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 3.0 or a single 690
    else it is easy to go a cpu notch down to a i7-3770k instead and that should still give enough performance for whatever the guy got in mind to do with it. (unless he really needs 6cores for something specific)
    (own edit :P)

as for GPU i would recommend SLI 680 (4gb on each card is optional only worth it if you play high res/tripple screen) since the gtx 690 is 2 downclocked 680's. (sli is the better performance one)

So choosing SLI 680 with 4G gb over the 2GB version wont be a big performence difference?
    downgrading to the 2GB version i can go from Intel® Core i7-3820 Processor Socket-LGA2011, Quad Core, 3.6GHz, 10MB, 130W to an Intel® Core i7-3930K Processor Socket-LGA2011, 6-Core, 3.2GHz, 12MB, 130W without breaking the budget - wich choise is better? And how big of a difference is really the 6 cores, when each of them are 0.4Ghz less - from a gaming perspective?

Deleted
    So choosing SLI 680 with 4G gb over the 2GB version wont be a big performence difference?
    downgrading to the 2GB version i can go from Intel® Core i7-3820 Processor Socket-LGA2011, Quad Core, 3.6GHz, 10MB, 130W to an Intel® Core i7-3930K Processor Socket-LGA2011, 6-Core, 3.2GHz, 12MB, 130W without breaking the budget - wich choise is better? And how big of a difference is really the 6 cores, when each of them are 0.4Ghz less - from a gaming perspective?
    gaming perspective quad is sufficent , just get a i7-3770k over i7-3820 (the 3770k can be overclocked to +- 4,4GHz with the cooler which is more then enough for quite some years to come)
    for GPU , 4gb Vram is only usefull in rare situations maybe in the future Vram will matter more but so far 2gb is enough for maxing out anything. (except for some bizare custom textures packs in skyrim but that is far from normal )

Ok thanks for fast replies =)
    They are out of the i7-3770k, and i will buy it as a "package" deal giving me good discounts, and i have to order before weekend is over, and they don't get suplies in the weekend. So the option is eather one of those two i listed, as i'm late in the sale-window and they are running out of certain things

Deleted
    whats the price difference for 3820 vs the 3930k?
    basicly the K chip is unlocked so through basic overclocking you can get 25/30% more performance compared to stock settings.

Price difference is about 1500 NOK.
    Also, I've been in africa for a good time, and it's a long time since i really fiddled alot with computers, but back in the days overclocking was a risky sport, but thats something that have changed right? Burnt a 5K nok processor in the old days, and that also burnt by pocket when i had to buy a new one

Also, with the 980s, i can put two 980 cards from two different manufacturers together right? I.E gainwards version offers a DisplayPort, but is more expensive than Evga whos does not - can i have one of each?
    Last edited by Cyone; 2012-12-07 at 09:30 PM.

Deleted
    overclocking is allot easier and safer due to cooling being way better and lots of safety measures in mobo's preventing overvolting and alike.
    for future sake i would get the K chip however since the price difference is quite big you would also be fine with the other one. (do know for games like wow a overclocked cpu is the better choice for sure)
    can you justify getting the K chip for yourself is the question more.
    general IT advice i got when i started building was to get the better cpu if you are certain it will be in use for a long(er) period of time.(talking 4 years atleast)
    on the other hand 6core cpu's are overkill already in general but good to have if you also do lots of editing/rendering/streaming.

edit : GPU part , yes it is possible to sli two different cards but if clocks are different the "faster" card will get downclocked to the other one (which would only be a 1% performance drop at worst)
    also rather have too much power and not need it instead of the other way around

When i do volunteer work that generates no income, but rather a big outcome in africa, I am a student, and i also got myself and a dog to feed at home, as well as a car to fuel i find it hard to justify using the extra 1500.
    However, I'm sure i'll end up closing my eyes when the money disapear from my bank account and smile when it arrives and pretend i have a goldfish' memory not remembering how much i spent :P
    Last edited by Cyone; 2012-12-07 at 09:41 PM.

Deleted
    When i do volunteer work that generates no income, but rather a big outcome in africa, I am a student, and i also got myself and a dog to feed at home, as well as a car to fuel i find it hard to justify using the extra 1500.
    However, I'm sure i'll end up closing my eyes when the money disapear from my bank account and smile when it arrives and pretend i have a goldgish memory not remembering how much i spent :P
    i know the feeling ^^
    but mind linking the gpu's you are looking at though? (be sure to get good cooler ones and 2 slot cards work better for sli compared to 3 slot ones)