Thread: JC Arms gemming

JC Arms gemming

Hey guys,

Need some help here with Arms gemming as I am getting mixed messages. I'm talking specifically for Arms DPS in PVE, for the 2 JC gems, is it better to gem for straight up Crit, or straight up STR?

AskMrRobot has STR still up there but the site they are supposed to be partnered with, Icy Veins, has Crit as the right gem. I've looked at a number of armory pages for Arms warriors and it seems somewhat split. I've run a few sims and it turns up that Crit is supposed to have a higher priority than STR, but I am still a bit skeptical.

Any thoughts here would be great, thanks.

Disregard what I wrote, thought this was a fury post for some reason. I don't know the numbers for arms sadly, but I imagine the two gems are close.
    Last edited by Stumpurin; 2012-12-09 at 07:30 PM.

Hey, I'm from Ask Mr. Robot. I would need to see your character to know for sure what is going on, but I have a guess.

STR's stat weight is 2.25.
    CRIT's stat weight is 1.25.

Normally, a 160 STR gem is worth 360 points (160*2.25)
    And a 320 CRIT gem is worth 400 points (320*1.25)

However, based on the socket bonus, Mr. Robot might tell you to use a STR gem (which is RED) over a CRIT gem (which is yellow). He's a smart robot that tries to get you the most bang for your buck.

Give me a link to your character and I'll double check, make sure that's what is going on.
    Ask Mr. Robot Human Minion

Zoopercat has the general idea, for JC gems however, the crit gem is only 50% higher in stats (320 STR, compared to 480 crit) instead of double, like the other gems. I would recommend simming yourself, and doing what he did, multiplying the amount of stats the gem gives, with your stat weight.

since you need to use red gems for meta and socket bonus then 320 strength gems will be better as long as you use them in red sockets
    I Delight in the Irony

Armory, Warcraft logs, Youtube, Twitter, Twitch

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinkydo View Post
    since you need to use red gems for meta and socket bonus then 320 strength gems will be better as long as you use them in red sockets
    There is no req to gem anything to get the meta socket activated anymore.

At a sertain ilvl for arms (around 470) crit gems will overtake str gems for arms (1str vs 2crit), For the most part every socket bonus that is crit or str will be worth going for so crit/hit gems in blue. crist/str in red and crit in yellow slots.

For the jc gems however since they only give you 160more crit instead of dubble the amount like the normal gems you want to use the JC 320str gems in two red or prisematic socket slots.

When I sim my character strength is 2.46 crit is 1.24 so crit is less then 1% better then strength for me. But as furypie said use the strength ones since the crit jc gems are lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoopercat View Post
    Hey, I'm from Ask Mr. Robot. I would need to see your character to know for sure what is going on, but I have a guess.

STR's stat weight is 2.25.
    CRIT's stat weight is 1.25.

Normally, a 160 STR gem is worth 360 points (160*2.25)
    And a 320 CRIT gem is worth 400 points (320*1.25)

However, based on the socket bonus, Mr. Robot might tell you to use a STR gem (which is RED) over a CRIT gem (which is yellow). He's a smart robot that tries to get you the most bang for your buck.

Give me a link to your character and I'll double check, make sure that's what is going on.

Thanks for the explanation and responses, that makes more sense when you factor in the socket bonuses and how the crit JC gems are a bit lacking by comparison. I think it was just confusing when one site says one thing and another says something else, and they are supposed to be linked.

I'd share a link but I can't...look up Benjiro on the Boulderfist US server if interested.

VoodooT,
    Glad we could all help So the reason Mr. Robot does his thing, is to save you from doing a lot of math! Icy-veins is right by saying the Crit gems tend to be better (based on the math I showed you, they are). However, when socket bonuses are considered, sometimes STR/CRIT hybrids win. Icy-Veins is giving you the general guidelines, and those guidelines are right. Mr. Robot is doing the math for each specific piece of gear. If Icy-veins listed that all out, it would be a long, long, long, long list
    Ask Mr. Robot Human Minion

I wish they would edit the JC gems to give more secondary stats and more stamina much the same that the blue quality gems are statted out. It's been pretty uniform up until MoP.