Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Rain of Fire doesn't interrupt flag capping at all? I am still seeing warlocks spam the flag with rain of fire. Are you sure about this? Do fire & brimstone spells interrupt the capping?

Quote Originally Posted by lukeattmadik View Post
    Rain of Fire doesn't interrupt flag capping at all? I am still seeing warlocks spam the flag with rain of fire. Are you sure about this? Do fire & brimstone spells interrupt the capping?
    I'd like to know this from a PvPer as well (with experience/evidence to back it up), my thought always was that the first tick of a channel/DoT should interrupt capping, but subsequent ticks would not.

I might be wrong on this though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    If not then those should be fixed too. "Other stuff is also broken" is not a reason to leave broken things unfixed. Ever since vanilla, the general intent has been that fire-and-forget AoE shouldn't interrupt flag capture.

How is one very specific change to one spell under specific circumstances in certain battlegrounds in any way a "blanket" nerf? Have you ever actually seen a blanket? They're not exactly surgical tools.
    Let's see... Warlocks were brought to RBGs for their insane burst as destruction, which was nerfed greatly and their ability to blanket (there's the word again!) interrupt the flag capturing in Arathi Basin, Eye of the Storm and Battle for Gilneas. Now I know 50% of the BGs isn't much, but there are only 3 flagrunning BGs too and one tank is always in a RBG team.. so specific circumstances in certain battlegrounds is the understatement of the century.

10+ Year Old Account
    you'll get over it.
    RoF is better off with out a nearely random and uncontrollable stun

I read the hotfix "flag objective" as capping a flag in WSG or TP.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think RoF got it's capping ability removed because we don't have to channel the spell anymore and are free to do other stuff. I agree it would be better if other "mindless" AoE followed suite, but as the hotfixes for the 10th say they are not for now, and RoF is the only spell effected.

Only things with a long and obvious cast time or a channel should break PvP objective capping...
    Wish this change happened across the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahippo View Post
    We are gunna use some dust brown to paint some happy little tornados here, and one more here. Then we are going to use some white to paint happy little wind blasts here. Just dab the brush along the base of al akir, and there you have it. THE GAYEST FIGHT EVER

Its on immolation aura too, maybe even hellfire (kinda hard to tell)

It looks like other peoples passive aoes aren't working either, only active aoes work (as in hellfire, afflictions RoF, arcane explosion etc)

funny thing .. i still get inrerupted by blizzard of a mage so .. don't know if its a bug like allways or not .. whatever just run around with hellfire does the same trick :P

10+ Year Old Account
    good nerf. it was like a ranged magma totem with insane radius and not only 0 cooldown, but you could place as many as you wanted.

now it's more like cata version of instant flamestrike which only interrupted capping on the initial direct damage hit and not the ticks. but with still a nice radius.

even though with this change i doubt rbg locks will spec into radius anymore.
    Last edited by Racthoh; 2012-12-11 at 11:37 AM.

Death and Decay
    Blizzard
    Earthquake
    Just saying....

As much as I enjoy PvP and taking flags or not taking them but the whole aspect of this is idiotic. People saying that using RoF is too easy and lazy to stop people from taking a flag but right-clicking someone with a sword is perfectly alright -- need to get their heads checked.

Weather it was easy to cast and forget or not, what dependable aoe do we have to keep people off the flag now? Fire and brimstone is resource dependent. Shadowfury/ howl of terror only if we chose that talent. Can anyone name another class that doesn't have multiple aoe moves to use that will interrupt flag capping? Weather you thought locks had it easy or not can anyone really say "insert class" doesn't have multiple aoe moves to interrupt flag casting?

10+ Year Old Account
    Warlocks were brought to RBGs for their insane burst as destruction, which was nerfed greatly
    Wasn't nerfed greatly. Wasn't nerfed at all in fact. Burst windows are 3-5 seconds in PvP at the moment. The DoT has a 3 second duration, meaning you still get the same exact damage as you did before within the 3-5 second window, as you did before.

Blizzard
    Earthquake
    Blizzard is a channeled cast. Earthquake also has a cast time and knocks people to the ground, hence it makes sense to interrupt flag caps. RoF was stupid and just made us OP in those situations. Glad it's gone, even though I have to adjust now and prevent caps with F&B.

even though with this change i doubt rbg locks will spec into radius anymore.
    Sure we will, RoF generates Embers at an insane rate now if it hits a bunch of targets. MF means we have almost full embers whenever we're in a team fight, plus it still breaks out stealth classes which I've found more than useful on several node matches.
    As much as I enjoy PvP and taking flags or not taking them but the whole aspect of this is idiotic. People saying that using RoF is too easy and lazy to stop people from taking a flag but right-clicking someone with a sword is perfectly alright -- need to get their heads checked.
    Senseless argument is senseless? Looks like you need to get your head checked. RoF was a fire and forget spell. You cast it once every 10 seconds on the flag and you will prevent anyone from ever taking it. Manually attacking someone requires you to pay attention to what they are doing and notice that they are capping, which wasn't the case with RoF. Honestly, in the past my team just had me call out if I was CC'ed and outside of that I just put my RoF down every 10 seconds like I said. Never got capped on, never payed attention to if they were even trying to cap.

Weather it was easy to cast and forget or not, what dependable aoe do we have to keep people off the flag now? Fire and brimstone is resource dependent.
    Whether is the proper spelling, we're not talking about clouds here. Anyways, F&B generates Embers with both Incinerate and Conflag. In most cases, casting Conflag WITH F&B up is actually better than casting it single target because it's a snare on the entire enemy team on top of giving you back a crapload of embers. Unless there are only two or so people trying to cap, it's beneficial to use F&B, and in that case you can still use it. I've stopped so many flag caps with F&B + instant conflag I lost track. It's pretty clutch and well worth the ember cost. If you don't like spending the embers, put Hellfire on your bars and start channeling that shit. It's the same thing as a Mage channeling Blizzard or a Boomkin channeling Astral Storm.

Rain of Fire isn't the only ability that can be used like this. If RoF is to be changed then a dozen other abilities should have the same treatment. In fact ALL non-channeled AOE should also be made to not interupt flag caps. Probably all pet attacks too.

Hunter traps and living bomb are prime examples of spells with similar effects.

If you don't like spending the embers, put Hellfire on your bars and start channeling that shit. It's the same thing as a Mage channeling Blizzard or a Boomkin channeling Astral Storm.
    Destruction Warlocks do not have Hellfire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Rain of Fire isn't the only ability that can be used like this. If RoF is to be changed then a dozen other abilities should have the same treatment. In fact ALL non-channeled AOE should also be made to not interupt flag caps. Probably all pet attacks too.

Hunter traps and living bomb are prime examples of spells with similar effects.

Destruction Warlocks do not have Hellfire.
    Pets need to be told who to attack so no. Living Bomb is a spell that you put on a target and then explodes at the end, can also be dispelled so no.

All non channeled true AoE such as RoF, Hunter Traps, D&D, Blood Boil shouldn't break flag caps except for the initial tick. If you add anything else you get into the realm of why not make any cleave ability not break caps, and then any channeled AoE (as some people have asked for in this thread).

EDIT: Looks kildragon beat to me some points, but i am still curious if any other fire and forget are going beyond first tick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kildragon View Post
    Blizzard is a channeled cast. Earthquake also has a cast time and knocks people to the ground, hence it makes sense to interrupt flag caps. RoF was stupid and just made us OP in those situations. Glad it's gone, even though I have to adjust now and prevent caps with F&B.
    I quite honestly never cast RoF on cappers after stun was removed just thinking, u kno, that would be OP. ...and it was. I was casting it for embers and using F&B->conflag. But assumed wrong and that it worked like magma totem after initial tick or earthquakes regular damage, (not the knockdown portion!) Did I run to the forums and yell “such injustice”, no but I could admit it was OP as hell and mindless. ...and sure, if I have to stand there and channel a spell, it damn well better interrupt cappers.

Also, on earthquake, it’s not like it takes 15 secs to cap a flag, earthquake has way too much setup without haste buff of some sorts. Sure, it can be precast as a deterrent to prevent a cap (mostly for stealthies), but so many other spells qualify before using EQ or in this case mentioning it as in any way similar to RoF's much needed nerf. If 5 earthquakes could be cast in places in 5 consecutive GCDs, AND interrupted each tick, AND still had the stun....then yeah, nerf earthquake too. However, methinks you need to be "lost in the crowd" to be able to use it over and over again. Like any lock could do with RoF.

For people worried about embers... I am just not sure how your running low on them, sure if you ignore the objective of the BG and get lots of CB kills, but the topic is about a specific PVP objective. Conflag generating embers now, fel flame still generating, and fire and forget RoF generating them. Where are they going? The most ember starved place I can even think of is 2s arena as double dps and with conflag change thats not even a huge issue.

Maybe not RBGs, but keep in mind time based flag caps are a part of AV, Ioc, and SotA as well and all essential to winning. (go ahead exception freaks, hit me up) The impact is huge.

I do agree that if other fire and forget Aoe ARE NOT working like they did in cata, which is ANY damage after initial tick are breaking caps, they all need to be adjusted. I am not sure about hunter traps yet as I am not clear on the trap cooldowns. It is being suggested that there is up to a dozen.

If the persistent AOE and first tick thing has changed, does anyone have a list of fire and forget AOE that continue to interrupt caps each tick?
    Last edited by mindbomb; 2012-12-11 at 09:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For people worried about embers... I am just not sure how your running low on them, sure if you ignore the objective of the BG and get lots of CB kills, but the topic is about a specific PVP objective. Conflag generating embers now, fel flame still generating, and fire and forget RoF generating them. Where are they going? The most ember starved place I can even think of is 2s arena as double dps and with conflag change thats not even a huge issue.
    Haven't read every single post, but are people really bitching about Embers? If you're not sitting at 2+ embers at any given point in an RBG team fight you're doing it wrong. My main damage source in EVERY RBG is Chaos Bolt because I can afford to cast so many of them.

I can understand why it was a nerf too even tho I play a warlock you can check me out at youtube.com/str8ac3gaming I really hate that they nerf it, but I really understand there concept cause in RBG you shouldnt have to just rain of fire and leave it there and forget about the flag being cap so I understand why they did it

Quote Originally Posted by str8ac3 View Post
    I can understand why it was a nerf too even tho I play a warlock you can check me out at youtube.com/str8ac3gaming I really hate that they nerf it, but I really understand there concept cause in RBG you shouldnt have to just rain of fire and leave it there and forget about the flag being cap so I understand why they did it
    I think most of the rest of us do too. What's puzzling is why they seemingly haven't touched similar abilities for other classes.