10+ Year Old Account

Prot Warrior question

So i have been using the avoidance build off robot. It is asking for me to stack Stam. I understand this might be from me being under geared well enough to not start stacking mastery. Does this sound right to do i am too used to mastery i suppose. Any insight on this is greatly appreciated.

Armory link in Sig

I just noticed there is another post similar to this question please delete this if possible. Thanks!
    Last edited by contemporary; 2012-12-06 at 04:36 PM.

As a prot warrior gearing up while doing MV in its opening weeks, I never really focused on Stam. Focused primarily on getting 7.5 hit/exp (honestly really helps a lot with rage generation) and then just focusing on mastery all the way.

Only gem that I use for stam are my two JC gems and a puissant wild jade (stam/mastery) gem for blue/yellow slots. Don't go crazy dumping stats on stamina. Like using a brewfest trinket ><

I have been gearing up with the hit and exp caps in mind as well, although I am using mixed stam gems now that I am at the hit cap. I am still going for more expertise over 7.5% but am not going nuts on it. Stam/exp in red sockets stam/mastery or hit/mastery for blue. Reforging I go for exp unless it has it then I go for mastery. I use Mr. Robot as well but I use the hit and expertise build and then customize the weights for hit and expertise to 1.1 , just above stam and then the soft cap weight for expertise I put at 1. At this gear level and trying to reach caps there is not much room for stam at the moment, if anything you could us your blue gem slots to use either straight stam gems or a mix for stam/mastery or stam/hit but either choice will not make or break you tanking wise.

It's really time we stop talking about expertise soft capping. That's only for melee now. You get the same benefit from the second 7.5% as you would from the first 7.5%. In addition to this, there's not enough mastery on gear in this tier to stack it reliably so it takes a back seat until your attacks ate no longer avoided. Subject to change? Sure. Not until at least next tier.

Quote Originally Posted by idefiler6 View Post
    It's really time we stop talking about expertise soft capping. That's only for melee now. You get the same benefit from the second 7.5% as you would from the first 7.5%. In addition to this, there's not enough mastery on gear in this tier to stack it reliably so it takes a back seat until your attacks ate no longer avoided. Subject to change? Sure. Not until at least next tier.
    Epiphany. I read this and thought: What is he talkin about? Then it hit me, no rage from auto attacks. So you then only have to worry about revenge missing, and shield slam/devastate being avoided. Brilliant. That's not saying expertise is not useful, the cap is not a priority over mastery because of that though.

There are a few benefits to stamina, and I'll go stamina if there's mastery everywhere else (though I do have one of those DMF trinkets, even though I'm not particularly fond of it.) The first being of course threat and damage, the second from the healing talent tier and last stand, and being able to soak damage without heals for longer is useful sometimes. But it's not just a question about how useful is stam; its a question about how useful is stam to an avoidance build, and in that respect it is incredibly useful, because if your going avoidance you need a large hp pool to help survive periods of bad luck and just the rigors of chance.

If you are good at active mitigation: hit/mastery is the way to go, in that case stam is just a side dish. In your case (passive mitigation), it's practically a necessity.
    Last edited by Jaojin; 2012-12-07 at 04:29 PM.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

Quote Originally Posted by Jaojin View Post
    Epiphany. I read this and thought: What is he talkin about? Then it hit me, no rage from auto attacks. So you then only have to worry about revenge missing, and shield slam/devastate being avoided. Brilliant. That's not saying expertise is not useful, the cap is not a priority over mastery because of that though.
    What about white hits? White hits don't suffer the same as dual wield white hits do. Expertise to 15% does in fact cap white hits, but it's also the cap for yellows as well. How much mastery are you able to stack that you can reliably have enough rage to keep your AM up? I'm skeptical, I hope I got what you mean because it was a little convoluted and possibly misguided.