Thread: wind lord 25m

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

wind lord 25m

we are trying wind lord 25m for the first time onsunday, so affliction or demo? im assuming demo for the superior aoe, but then affli has the better single target which is also important.

couple of other points, as demo, is it safe to stand in mellee?
    and as aff, would grimoire would you use? i was thinking maybe using sac but having a pet out until all adds are dead and then saccing it?

any lock specific tips would be awsome

10+ Year Old Account
    I would play whatever you feel more comfortable with or whatever benefits your raid the most. Demo played properly is probably going to give you better overall results, but not by a ton. Demo will certainly be better for the adds, but like you said, you put yourself and your raid at more risk standing in melee range. You could opt for Mannoroth's Fury, however, and kinda stand in no-mans's land to avoid having to move when you get prison or possibly getting screwed if some other melee dps doesn't pay attention.

Your dps will be better in phase 2 as affliction. Where does your guild struggle? Can you make it through phase 1, but you don't kill him fast enough and run out of cooldowns for rain? Or are you losing people in phase 1 because the adds are up too long?

For affliction leaving a pet out and then sacrificing it in phase 2 is probably your best bet. I'd recommend KJC for affliction since there is some movement required and you don't want to take the chance that a seed will break CC if your tank isn't great on positioning and you go with MF.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    cool thanks. we havent yet had a single pull on him so i dunno what we are stuggling at. ill prob start out as demo to help on the adds and consider switching to affli once we start getting to Phase 1 consistently, and from there see where we are struggling. your right about mannoroths fury so i dont have to stand in mellee though so cheers for that!

There is no question, demo will do *way* more damage than affliction on Windlord. This fight was made for it.

Take Mannoroth's Fury and do this:

Meta: Aura of the Elements
    Hand of Gul'dan
    Hellfire
    Clip first Hand of Gul'dan with a second so you have Shadowflame x2
    Hellfire
    Hand of Gul'dan
    Pop your trinks/Dark Soul and put Doom on all the adds
    Hand of Gul'dan
    Hellfire + Hand of Gul'dan until you have a full bar of fury
    Meta: Immolation Aura + Harvest Life
    Victory
    Repeat as needed

When I had all my procs rolling there were times when I was pulling close to 300k dps on that fight. This is with a 480 ilvl.
    Last edited by Zepheyr; 2012-12-12 at 08:51 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
    There is no question, demo will do *way* more damage than affliction on Windlord. This fight was made for it.

Take Mannoroth's Fury and do this:

Meta: Aura of the Elements
    Hand of Gul'dan
    Hellfire
    Clip first Hand of Gul'dan with a second so you have Shadowflame x2
    Hellfire
    Hand of Gul'dan
    Pop your trinks/Dark Soul and put Doom on all the adds
    Hand of Gul'dan
    Hellfire + Hand of Gul'dan until you have a full bar of fury
    Meta: Immolation Aura + Harvest Life
    Victory
    Repeat as needed

When I had all my procs rolling there were times when I was pulling close to 300k dps on that fight.
    Not particularly accurate, it depends on which spec the player is more confident in.

A well played affliction lock with gear will outperform a poorly played demonology lock.

If you can play BOTH demo and affli equally well, then yes Demo will give higher results, purely because of the higher AoE.

But if you play Affli mainly and intend to go as demo just for this fight without any prior experience, dont bother, stick to affli, you'll pull similar numbers in this case (and even higher with Affli due to the single target portion of the fight after).

15+ Year Old Account
    Played affly on that boss and always outnumbered demo locks and reached 2 dps position, just below the tank. As already stated, if you can play better with affly than demo just use it.
    Last edited by Gorthan; 2012-12-11 at 11:27 AM.

i also played both speccs, on normal and hc.
    but i preferd affli because it's "easier" to bomb and you don't have to stand with the meeles.
    well we do raid 25men and our meeles often fell asleep or forgett step out when they got this amber prison and everyone get's fu***** up getting imprisoned.
    jm2c

Deleted
    play whichever spec you feel most comfortable with, demo and afflic will certainly perform well.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    it turned out that dps wasnt the biggest problem we had and we were generally ok with regards to enrage timer. had to call it early because one of our best dps had to leave and we didnt have anyone to replace him that could do what was needed. was playing affli mostly, pulling200k in the aoe portion. tried demo for the first few pulls but didnt like it purely because im not sure about void ray from the distance i was at using MF. now im comfortable with the fight though i may try demo again.

I watched the Youtube link.

That demo lock wasn't playing right, which is why he was beat. He was using Chaos Wave on the adds, which is a useless fury dump in PVE and should never have been used even before the 5.1 nerf unless you needed AOE burst. The method I posted will always beat an affliction lock, if you know how to play demonology. The guy narrating the video even states this.
    Last edited by Zepheyr; 2012-12-12 at 08:50 AM.

not sure about that...

dunno if there is so much difference between 10/25man, but this monday we killed 10man hc windlord and i did about 360k as affliction...

Quote Originally Posted by Dumble View Post
    Not particularly accurate, it depends on which spec the player is more confident in.

A well played affliction lock with gear will outperform a poorly played demonology lock.

If you can play BOTH demo and affli equally well, then yes Demo will give higher results, purely because of the higher AoE.

But if you play Affli mainly and intend to go as demo just for this fight without any prior experience, dont bother, stick to affli, you'll pull similar numbers in this case (and even higher with Affli due to the single target portion of the fight after).
    And a well played destro lock will outperform a poorly played affliction lock. What's your point?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenchi View Post
    not sure about that...

dunno if there is so much difference between 10/25man, but this monday we killed 10man hc windlord and i did about 360k as affliction...
    normal doesnt have bust damage phase on wind lord or continous adds, so no-one on normal will ever reach that kind of dps. also, if your doing wind lord HC your gear will be much better than mine.

Deleted
    bumping that thread :

using to do the fight as destro, wanted to switch affli but couldn't find confirmation upon p1 (normal) cycle :

what i think:

remove MF talent
    @pull focus boss, SB:SS boss, when in placed where he is tanked, SB:SoC, then after what are you doing ?
    Spam SoC and refresh dot on boss only + Sb:SoC on add when they are about to fail ?
    rotation on SB:SS on the adds ?

other ?

10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    wouldnt destro and bane of havoc rack up some serious numbers here too?

Go demo or Affliction, on world of logs Afflictions have better numbers on top 200 parses.

Play which spec you're more confortable. I play both specs and they're very simular.

Demo it's way more harder then Affliction, coz you need to watch your cd's and press more buttons. If you aren't confident with Demo go Affliction, just SB:SOC, multi-dot everthing and spam SOC.

OP: I supoose you mean normal mode.

For Heroic I would think Demo would do more damage on the boss during the Recklessness burn phase than Affy. For Normal I would think both are about on par.

Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    wouldnt destro and bane of havoc rack up some serious numbers here too?
    My guild's DPS is just low enough that we can't kill the boss during the third recklessness, but if we were to I would end up the fight (as destro in 10man H) around 520k.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeah talking about normal. have killed it now, tried both demo and aff. basically, demo will pull higher numbers in the aoe phase, but not by much and has a long ramp up time and is MUCH harder. aff would be my reccomendation for progress cos its so very easy. boring as hell though.....