Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So...my "explorer.exe" refuses to work.

Hey there computer-forum people.

Since last Friday the explorer.exe appears as "not responding" right after Windows 7 finished loading.
    My desktop is all black, the task-bar as well and it only shows the date and time.
    Running it in any way only leads to it crashing again.
    Also Windows is taking a lot longer to load now. I'm 5-10 seconds in the welcome screen in oppose to 0.5 seconds previously.
    Everything else is still working fine though, I can do everything I always did by simply starting things through the run-command in the task-manager.

Still it shouldn't be like this.
    My PC is rather new, couple months old only, but the support from the site I ordered it didn't respond yet.

What I did so far:
    First I did the obligatory malware-scans, which didn't really fix the issue.
    Then I reset my Windows to a former point, it helped, everything was back to normal, until I started my PC the next day.
    (I was able to start and shut it down w/o any problem before.)

Then I reinstalled it from scratch, from the DVD, again everything was fine until the next day.

I got my Windows on my SSD and my regular programs and such on my HDD, so so far I only did stuff to the SSD, as I don't really want to reinstall everything else unless I really have to.

My system:
    CPU: i7 3770K
    RAM: 8MB
    GPU: Geforce GTX 680
    Sound: Creative Soundblaster X-FI Titanium
    SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB
    HDD: Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 (1TB)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus

So...is there anything I can do to try and fix this?
    Is there perhaps something on my HDD that breaks everything (I only got Steam, Firefox, Skype and some games on it, nothing really exotic.) or could it be a hardware problem causing the explorer to continually die?
    Because life's "a bit" easier WITH the desktop, task-bar and start menu working. ^^
    Last edited by Djoron; 2012-12-08 at 10:14 PM.

Once it crashes can you reopen it? Task manager and run new task/process of explorer.exe

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Once it crashes can you reopen it? Task manager and run new task/process of explorer.exe
    Eh right. Forgot to add that.
    No it always crashes, no matter how I open it.

You changed, downloaded or altered nothing at all?

You can run Combofix from bleepingcomputer... it's a pretty powerful tool and should only be used as a last resort, but chances are it'll fix it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

Could it be a new anti-virus or some kind of USB device that causing this?
    Higgledy-piggledy Lord Wyman Manderly
    Sups with his foes, leaving Nary a crumb.

Wolvering wolverenes Incontrovertibly
    Tell all who hearken that Winter is come.

Another thingy I noticed is that Windows takes significantly longer to load. 5-10 seconds of welcome-screen instead of....0.5 or so before.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    You changed, downloaded or altered nothing at all?
    Nothing that I would expect to do this.
    And I altered no hardware or stuff like that.

Now that you mention it, I got the latest nvidia beta driver lately....Gonna see if rolling back to the latest normal version will do something.
    *nope, didn't change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen View Post
    Could it be a new anti-virus or some kind of USB device that causing this?
    I have no new USB-device attached and it's also been the same when I didn't have me anti-virus up, because the reinstalling broke it and I had to dl it again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    You can run Combofix from bleepingcomputer... it's a pretty powerful tool and should only be used as a last resort, but chances are it'll fix it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/
    I'll keep that in mind, if things won't get better.
    Last edited by Djoron; 2012-12-07 at 06:14 PM.

Mine kinda does the same, except it doesn't affect the desktop and such like yours. Mine pops up for a half of a second then closes itself. Firefox was having some issues as well, Chrome seems to be the only stable browser on my system (and I dislike this because Chrome's NoScript-alike is annoying). I do hope you get it fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    Mine kinda does the same, except it doesn't affect the desktop and such like yours. Mine pops up for a half of a second then closes itself. Firefox was having some issues as well, Chrome seems to be the only stable browser on my system (and I dislike this because Chrome's NoScript-alike is annoying). I do hope you get it fixed!
    Hehe, thanks. And good luck with your thingy as well.
    eww, Chrome. ;>

Does explorer still crash if you boot into safe mode ? What motherboard do you have ? And just out of curiosity is the cpu overclocked ?
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial M4 128GB | 2xWD 500GB Black | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Razer Goliathus XL | Sennheiser HD598 | Razer Naga - working like new since >2009< |

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedOne View Post
    Does explorer still crash if you boot into safe mode ? What motherboard do you have ? And just out of curiosity is the cpu overclocked ?
    Ok, the explorer works fine in safe mode, I also tried closing and restarting it, it works.

I got an Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus and the CPU isn't overclocked.

open a command prompt cmd.exe and run it as admin then type sfc /scannow
    i5 3570K @ 4.8GHZ / Thermaltake Water Extreme 2.0 Cooling / Asus Maximus V Formula - Thunder FX Mobo / 8GB GSkill Trident X RAM @ 2400MHZ / MSI R7970 3GB @ 1200/1700 / OCZ Agility 120GB SSD OS Drive / 2x2TB Raid 1 Data / Thermaltake Toughpower Grande 750W PSU / Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 Chassis
    - 24/7
    - Stable Test

Quote Originally Posted by Bismark666 View Post
    open a command prompt cmd.exe and run it as admin then type sfc /scannow
    It didn't find anything.

Also now it tends to RANDOMLY start the explorer.exe properly, after a few seconds to minutes of it not responding and also if I closed it and didn't try to start it or anything.
    Windows still takes WAY longer to load than it used to and it throw ~30 windows and notification at me because of things that couldn't be autostarted, but the .exe then works, as I got my desktop and task-bar and so on...

What is happening? o_o

next time explorer crashes straight after it run Eventviewer, just type it in search, it will be the only entry. Then when it loads click Windows Logs > System and there will be an error there for what just happend. Should be the top one and if its not just look at the time stamps. It will have a code atttatched to the error. If you double click on the error it will bring up a report box and give you some more info, post that on here
    i5 3570K @ 4.8GHZ / Thermaltake Water Extreme 2.0 Cooling / Asus Maximus V Formula - Thunder FX Mobo / 8GB GSkill Trident X RAM @ 2400MHZ / MSI R7970 3GB @ 1200/1700 / OCZ Agility 120GB SSD OS Drive / 2x2TB Raid 1 Data / Thermaltake Toughpower Grande 750W PSU / Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 Chassis
    - 24/7
    - Stable Test

There was no error, but a warning, so I'll just post that instead.

And yes, I scrolled down, the only errors I could find were those produced when Steam couldn't be autostarted once the explorer suddenly started again.
    It does that weird delayed starting thing pretty regularly now, btw.
    Which is quite annoying due to the tons of windows being opened in the process. :/
    Code:
    - System 

- Provider 

[ Name]  Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP 
       [ Guid]  {9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539} 

EventID 219 

Version 0 

Level 3 

Task 212 

Opcode 0 

Keywords 0x8000000000000000 

- TimeCreated 

[ SystemTime]  2012-12-09T00:12:11.702417900Z 

EventRecordID 7350 

Correlation 

- Execution 

[ ProcessID]  4 
       [ ThreadID]  60 

Channel System 

Computer Max-PC 

- Security 

[ UserID]  S-1-5-18 

- EventData 

DriverNameLength 116 
      DriverName WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_GENERIC&PROD_STORAGE_DEVICE&REV_9451#7&597995E&0# 
      Status 3221226341 
      FailureNameLength 14 
      FailureName \Driver\WUDFRd 
      Version 0

What USB devices do you have attached to your PC?
    What software have you installed a couple of days before the issue?
    What kind of regular programs have you installed on your HDD?

That warning indicates that one of the USB devices have incompatible (with win7) drivers - it's just a warning so it shouldn't cause any troubles. But if you have external USB storage and Explorer wants some files from there on start-up - a faulty driver can cause a problem. Or any other USB device that Explorer may treat as Storage while it isn't.
    It also can be a problem with your HDD (bad sectors) or SSD (but I doubt it since it worked for a couple of month and SSD's are less prone to damage).

As a test try to remove all USB devices (cept for keyboard if it's USB one) and your HDD (just remove the power cable from it or disable it in BIOS, though I recommend physical disconection) and start your PC with just SSD.
    If it works then connect back the HDD - and try again. Continue to add devices until you find the faulty one - if there's any that is.

And what ag666 said above as well. Just narrrowing it down to fix it
    - 24/7
    - Stable Test

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    What USB devices do you have attached to your PC?
    What software have you installed a couple of days before the issue?
    What kind of regular programs have you installed on your HDD?

That warning indicates that one of the USB devices have incompatible (with win7) drivers - it's just a warning so it shouldn't cause any troubles. But if you have external USB storage and Explorer wants some files from there on start-up - a faulty driver can cause a problem. Or any other USB device that Explorer may treat as Storage while it isn't.
    It also can be a problem with your HDD (bad sectors) or SSD (but I doubt it since it worked for a couple of month and SSD's are less prone to damage).

As a test try to remove all USB devices (cept for keyboard if it's USB one) and your HDD (just remove the power cable from it or disable it in BIOS, though I recommend physical disconection) and start your PC with just SSD.
    If it works then connect back the HDD - and try again. Continue to add devices until you find the faulty one - if there's any that is.
    The only USB devices I have attached are my Keyboard (Logitech G105, MW3 edition) and my mouse (Razor Copperhead).
    Both aren't new.

New software...I got the latest Nvidia beta driver, but I already tried installing the latest non-beta driver, it didn't change anything.
    I can't really think of any other new software I got recently.

The stuff I regularly use from my HDD are: Steam, Waterfox, Winamp and my games, stuff like LoL, Planetside 2, WoW and some others.

I'll try the start-up w/o the HDD and report once I'm done.

---------- Post added 2012-12-09 at 03:02 AM ----------

Alrighty, without the HDD everything works fine, the explorer starts properly and Windows doesn't take ages to load.
    Last edited by Djoron; 2012-12-09 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djoron View Post
    Alrighty, without the HDD everything works fine, the explorer starts properly and Windows doesn't take ages to load.
    So explorer tries to get something from HDD and fails. It may be bad sector (run checkdisk via HDD properties) or it may be fragmentation (it takes too much time for Explorer to get everything it wants so it becomes unresponsive, long boot up is purely due to Explorer issue)

P.S. That warning is likely to be irrelevant. I believe it may have something to do with Logitech keyboard - it is known to have driver issues and give that warning. You can test it with other non-logitech, non-media simple keyboard. the warning should disappear.
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2012-12-09 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    So explorer tries to get something from HDD and fails. It may be bad sector (run checkdisk via HDD properties) or it may be fragmentation (it takes too much time for Explorer to get everything it wants so it becomes unresponsive, long boot up is purely due to Explorer issue)

P.S. That warning is likely to be irrelevant. I believe it may have something to do with Logitech keyboard - it is known to have driver issues and give that warning. You can test it with other non-logitech, non-media simple keyboard. the warning should disappear.
    I see.
    I defragmented it and ran that disk check thingy, but that didn't do anything sadly.