Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'm kinda shocked that people believe it can be built.

Just popping in here to say it's 28k signs!

15+ Year Old Account
    Just imagine how much the unemployment rate would drop. I'm all for this idea!
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I'm kinda shocked that people believe it can be built.
    No it is only the reawakened of the old cold war planes of "polar fortress"?? early warning/weapon platform/station. Cost stooped it under the cold war, and I doubt Pentagon can get the money now, but it is a attractive thought to drop a kinetic strike from orbit on a time critical target.

Steel Death Star no not enough tech or material, but to convert Moon in Fortress is plausible.

The Death Star Petition

First off I am not a fan of this administration or the administration of what Romney would of have (I am also not a Ron Paul supporter). That said, a few months ago, somebody petitioned to the White House to build a Death Star which is hilarity in itself. Heres the original petition:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-2016/wlfKzFkN

"Those who sign here petition the United States government to secure funding and resources, and begin construction on a Death Star by 2016.

By focusing our defense resources into a space-superiority platform and weapon system such as a Death Star, the government can spur job creation in the fields of construction, engineering, space exploration, and more, and strengthen our national defense."

Now today someone linked me the White House response, and I thought of sharing it:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-2016/wlfKzFkN

"This Isn't the Petition Response You're Looking For

By Paul Shawcross

The Administration shares your desire for job creation and a strong national defense, but a Death Star isn't on the horizon. Here are a few reasons:

The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000. We're working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.
    The Administration does not support blowing up planets.
    Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?

However, look carefully (here's how) and you'll notice something already floating in the sky -- that's no Moon, it's a Space Station! Yes, we already have a giant, football field-sized International Space Station in orbit around the Earth that's helping us learn how humans can live and thrive in space for long durations. The Space Station has six astronauts -- American, Russian, and Canadian -- living in it right now, conducting research, learning how to live and work in space over long periods of time, routinely welcoming visiting spacecraft and repairing onboard garbage mashers, etc. We've also got two robot science labs -- one wielding a laser -- roving around Mars, looking at whether life ever existed on the Red Planet.

Keep in mind, space is no longer just government-only. Private American companies, through NASA's Commercial Crew and Cargo Program Office (C3PO), are ferrying cargo -- and soon, crew -- to space for NASA, and are pursuing human missions to the Moon this decade.

Even though the United States doesn't have anything that can do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, we've got two spacecraft leaving the Solar System and we're building a probe that will fly to the exterior layers of the Sun. We are discovering hundreds of new planets in other star systems and building a much more powerful successor to the Hubble Space Telescope that will see back to the early days of the universe.

We don't have a Death Star, but we do have floating robot assistants on the Space Station, a President who knows his way around a light saber and advanced (marshmallow) cannon, and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, which is supporting research on building Luke's arm, floating droids, and quadruped walkers.

We are living in the future! Enjoy it. Or better yet, help build it by pursuing a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related field. The President has held the first-ever White House science fairs and Astronomy Night on the South Lawn because he knows these domains are critical to our country's future, and to ensuring the United States continues leading the world in doing big things.

If you do pursue a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related field, the Force will be with us! Remember, the Death Star's power to destroy a planet, or even a whole star system, is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Paul Shawcross is Chief of the Science and Space Branch at the White House Office of Management and Budget"

Is this awesome or what? They actually read the petition, and while they denied it ever happening (which was expected) they did have some fun with it.
    "Its hard being humble, knowing how awesome I am,"

Yes, that's what we need. A Death Star. That's what we should put that money toward.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by styvan01 View Post
    a President who knows his way around a light saber
    This is not the ballot you're looking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well darn. I signed that petition hoping my office would eventually be moved in to orbit :/

Oh well. 10 or 20 years from now we can give it another go.

---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 02:35 AM ----------

Also, mfw "this administration does not support blowing up planets" :I

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Well darn. I signed that petition hoping my office would eventually be moved in to orbit :/

Oh well. 10 or 20 years from now we can give it another go.

---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 02:35 AM ----------

Also, mfw "this administration does not support blowing up planets" :I
    Honestly I thought this line was better.
    Quote Originally Posted by styvan01 View Post
    Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?
    We could always blow up the Chinese or Russians before they build a one-man star ship.
    We wouldn't have to blow up the whole planet, just charge the capacitor banks enough to scorch the surface where those countries reside a far cheaper and more effective process.

Found the money into red matter!

This is actually very nice and inspiring. Can't believe they found time to address that. I always used this as an excuse not to address the retarded secession petitions.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    This is actually very nice and inspiring. Can't believe they found time to address that. I always used this as an excuse not to address the retarded secession petitions.
    Probably just found a college student who needed money and said "hey, write a response to this and we'll give you $100."
    Putin khuliyo

Seeing as we only inhabit a single planet, creating a device to destory planets is too soon. . .
    Last edited by Linkedblade; 2013-01-12 at 03:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Seeing as we only inhabit a single planet, creating a device to destory planets is too soon. . .
    Fuck Venus. What does it ever do for us?!

I got my response from the WH

Gotta say i laughed my balls off

Its so good to see the government does have a sense of humour

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Fuck Venus. What does it ever do for us?!
    It proves that the greenhouse effect exists. So fuck it even more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Venus is also mistaken for a UFO more than any other object in the sky. So, yeah... commence primary ignition.

---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 11:21 AM ----------

Heh, this made me chuckle.