Poll: Preferred Video Game Setting

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    For games I prefer Fantasy. For books I prefer Sci Fi. But I am a fan of both genres. I just haven't found a Sci Fi game that I like.

I've always been a huge fan of Tolkienesque fantasy. I'd actually like to see a good Sc-Fi MMO come out though, because there isn't any out right now that I find appealing. WildStar, if that can be considered Sci-Fi, looks really cool.

Fantasy. Most Sci-Fi games have this dark, depressing, ugly, lifeless look to them.

Even though the description I just made matches me IRL, I personally can't stand Sci-Fi games. Mass Effect is excluded because it's just too awesome.
    Last edited by wombinator04; 2012-12-08 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    WildStar, if that can be considered Sci-Fi, looks really cool.
    Personally, I am withholding judgement on wildstar till I see more.

Firefall is/getting more amazing.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like both but voted Sci-Fi, since that's what I prefer in RPGs, which is the genre I like most.

Might have something to do with the fact sci-fi RPGs are just rare compared to fantasy RPGs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really wish there was a way to mix the two.

I love playing as a knight/warrior/mage way more than a "space man" with a gun but I love the setting of Mass Effect/Star Wars waaaaaaaaaay more than medieval times.

If I saw a mech dragon on a giant space station or futuristic landscape and I got to fight it with an assault rifle/lightsaber and cast light/shadow/frost/fire/lightning magic it'd make my day.

Deleted
    I prefer alternate history games such as World in Conflict, or the Civilization-series, so I'm going with sci-fi. Fantasy's great and all, but most of the mainstream fantasy stuff takes waaaay too much inspiration from Tolkien, and everything kinda feels the same in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, it depends on my mood or which ever works best. Like, some sci-fi are cool, while others are terribad, and some fantasies are cool, while others make me sad.

Fantasy for me. I haven't liked very many sci-fi games. I despise shooters. The only scifi games I've ever played and liked are Front Mission 3&4 and Fallout 3. I spent about 10~ hours on mass effect 3 and got sick of it. Anything like Halo and gtfo.

I have liked almost every fantasy RPG I have ever played. I'm more into the medieval/magic type of setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    Really wish there was a way to mix the two.

I love playing as a knight/warrior/mage way more than a "space man" with a gun but I love the setting of Mass Effect/Star Wars waaaaaaaaaay more than medieval times.

If I saw a mech dragon on a giant space station or futuristic landscape and I got to fight it with an assault rifle/lightsaber and cast light/shadow/frost/fire/lightning magic it'd make my day.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...Warhammer40000

Although its not your typical "saving the world from outside evil while being the ultimate paragon"

People die there, often, by millions, and noone cares.
    Last edited by Verdugo; 2012-12-08 at 07:56 PM.

I think my favorite tend to be steampunk/fantasy and retro-scifi/post apoc games like Arcanum, Fallout, etc..

I do enjoy Fantasy and Sci-fi games as well but I think a games more fun when it blends both.

Deleted
    Hard to choose.

I've always been a huge fan of Warhammer and this is a question that has made me struggle when it comes to making an army for the table top.

I think it is why i love star wars, it is a great blend of both.

I think i have to choose Sci-Fi, it is easier to have Sci-Fi, it is easier to have Sci-Fi with fantasy elements than it is to have Fantasy with Sci-Fi.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always found Sci-Fi more fascinating because it's based one something that we can recognize today, for example space is giant place we have yet to explore and the possibilities of what's out here are endless and Sci-Fi really makes you feel like anything could be out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    i really really like fantasy themed games. although i'll play a sci-fi themed game if it is interesting enough. like mass effect or star wars.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good question. I would say in the end fantasy wins for me as well. The games I usually spend the most time are on are fantasy RPS's.

15+ Year Old Account
    I prefer sci-fi. Huge space nerd. I've had enough Fantasy anythings to last me 50 lifetimes. Especially video games in the MMO category, yet, I still play them. ><

Fantasy. I don't have anything against sci-fi, but fantasy is just more interesting to me.

Both, though in my opinion the 40k universe have the some off the best lore out there, so abit more on the scifi.

Fantasy. Not a fan of the majority of sci-fi, even though my greatest desire is to go into space. Fantasy in video games, books, and movies. Though I do often like sci-fi movies (not so much those horrible abominations on syfy).