10+ Year Old Account

Questions concerning HK-51

I just decided to give SWTOR another round and figured I would start with the HK-51 stuff. But I had some questions. There are a ton of guides out there, but I found very little concerning the following questions. Any help would be appreciated.

-Once HK-51 is unlocked, is he available to all Legacy characters or will he have to be assembled mutliple times?

-Does he have unique in game dialogue that would make it worthwhile to use him while leveling a new character?

-Does he have dialogue tied to Affection levels? If so, what are his preferred gifts? (I assume trophies and weapons from a lore standpoint)

I prefer cartel coins.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

He doesn't pipe in when leveling, no. His gear also doesn't scale, so you have to gear him out for a low level character. Once you get him on one toon, you will have to unlock him on a character by character basis with the legacy system, or go through the chain again. Also, his preferred gift is weapons.
    "And if it ends with both of us dying in an explosion taking out a Reaper - remember, I took the killshot." ~ Garrus Vakarian

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    I prefer cartel coins.
    Wah wah. =p

Thanks Alex. Does he chime in during dialogue cutscenes?

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    I just decided to give SWTOR another round and figured I would start with the HK-51 stuff. But I had some questions. There are a ton of guides out there, but I found very little concerning the following questions. Any help would be appreciated.

-Once HK-51 is unlocked, is he available to all Legacy characters or will he have to be assembled mutliple times?
    Once you complete the quest, you have three options to unlock him on other characters - do the quest again, pay 1 million credit, or pay with cartel coins. I think he costs ~350 coins, but I could be mistaken.
    -Does he have unique in game dialogue that would make it worthwhile to use him while leveling a new character?
    As far as I can tell, he does not have unique dialogue with current content (for example, you will get different comments from each companion during certain quests). He does have environmental dialogue - he will chime in with a comment when you enter a new area occasionally.
    -Does he have dialogue tied to Affection levels? If so, what are his preferred gifts? (I assume trophies and weapons from a lore standpoint)
    He does have affection based conversations, and as far as I can tell, responds to all gifts equally. He only has an x1 multiplier to dialogue (you get +15 for normal positive choices, and -1 for the negative ones) just like your first companion.

His gear does not scale, although he does come with a set of 50 gear. This gear will not work at low levels and you will need to re-equip him for him to be effective.

Deleted
    Q: So when i get round to getting him ...do i then get a comp at lvl 1 on the next toon i lvl ?

Quote Originally Posted by Urhark View Post
    Q: So when i get round to getting him ...do i then get a comp at lvl 1 on the next toon i lvl ?
    You can get him as a companion for a level 1 alt. But you have to unlock him first for that char by either paying 1 million credits or by paying cartel coins (not sure of the exact amount, 350 CC that trink202 says sounds reasonable). I got him for my new level 1. It is great to have an extra companion to use for crew skills when reaching Coruscant.

You can unlock him on other legacy characters with cartel coins or with like a million credits, but the questline is pretty easy and he only comes with lvl 50 gear so you will need to by or make low lvl droid parts for your alt for him to be useful.

Also he does have affection convos, ive done like 3-4 so far I think?

He's pretty goddamn awesome as a companion, to boot. If I could afford him on all my alts, I'd do it.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

Deleted
    awesome source

Deleted
    I've noticed alot of quest that give companion gear are now giving droid parts aswell (even for classes that have no droid companions like my sith sorc) so getting gear for him at low level should be easier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calelith View Post
    I've noticed alot of quest that give companion gear are now giving droid parts aswell (even for classes that have no droid companions like my sith sorc) so getting gear for him at low level should be easier.
    Yeah it seems that after the level 15 mark, you get to choose droid parts as the reward from alot of quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Calelith View Post
    All classes get a droid companion because all have the ship droid...

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, without dialogue, I don't see any reason to use the HK-51 unit in solo play. The majority of the fun in having a companion is having them comment or interject at various situations (in the story). From a gameplay perspective, once you have the capability to unlock HK-51 the question then becomes whether you really need him? I suppose he speeds up the dailies, but I would just assume use the standard companions that I at least have some attachment to due to storylines.

Personally, without dialogue, I don't see any reason to use the HK-51 unit in solo play. The majority of the fun in having a companion is having them comment or interject at various situations (in the story). From a gameplay perspective, once you have the capability to unlock HK-51 the question then becomes whether you really need him? I suppose he speeds up the dailies, but I would just assume use the standard companions that I at least have some attachment to due to storylines.
    I agree with this. I've leveled my smuggler to 40 so far entirely with HK. And while hes is a beast, they obviously didnt integrate him into the missions or class stories so its kind of boring. But im on alt #5 so im spacebarring through most everything anyways.

That, in a nut shell, is what he's for. Speeding through content you've seen before. Only reason to get him.