Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    So, apparently I make a statement that supports really neither side, and somehow im worse off? Just because you dont agree with what I have to say, doesnt mean you should accuse me of saying that I think im better then everyone. I said no such words, but if you want to take it at that, nothing im going to say is going to change your mind.

    Kids 13+ that just hit puberty are stupid, they may be book smart, and have "omfg super high IQ!!" but they are still kids, they don't know better, you didnt, I didn't we all didnt. I was lucky enough to have people teach me the consequences before I found them out myself. Sex is fun, it feels good, and makes me want to keep doing it, thats all these children get out of it, is that is how it feels, until something happens, such as STD's or pregnancy that fucks up their lives, they dont know better to stop it.

    As for the people who cut the funding, many of them go by religious indoctrination that all life is sacred, whether underage kids getting knocked up, or rape victims getting pregnant. For some reason, they cannot get it in their heads that NOT EVERYONE IS THAT RELIGION. For some reason, people believe that the vast majority still holds to their specific religion, and block out anyone who says otherwise, people of other beliefs are the minority. So they do what their religion says, which involves trying to pass laws and cut funding because birth control/abortions to them are wrong.

  2. #22
    I'm fairly sure I quoted the words that I was replying to. The idea that "both sides" need to learn about this issue is fucking absurd. Talking about whether 13 year olds should have sex is a complete red herring. Denying them birth control doesn't prevent them from having sex.

  3. #23
    Abortion is always immoral except when it comes down to the life of the mother and the life of baby where it becomes shaky.

  4. #24
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkacid View Post
    Abortion is always immoral except when it comes down to the life of the mother and the life of baby where it becomes shaky.
    In order for something to be immoral, you need to prove why morals matter. Alternatively, you need to prove that society agrees with you. I can say that murder is immoral because we have laws that outlaw murder.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkacid View Post
    Abortion is always immoral except when it comes down to the life of the mother and the life of baby where it becomes shaky.
    Well, no, it's not. There's no valid basis for calling a first trimester abortion immoral.

  6. #26
    If Texas is anything like the federal government, they didn't fund abortions through PP in the first place. Government funding would have been used for educational programs, counseling, cancer screening, and other women's health issues - not for abortion.

    So, in short, the efforts of the social conservatives to annihilate PP is misguided and foolish.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm fairly sure I quoted the words that I was replying to. The idea that "both sides" need to learn about this issue is fucking absurd. Talking about whether 13 year olds should have sex is a complete red herring. Denying them birth control doesn't prevent them from having sex.
    where the hell did I say I wanted them to deny it? are you picking just one side of the argument? what about defending the people who thought it was a good idea, when I say they need to learn too? or the fact that I was against them cutting the costs, I dont know the FIRST WORDS I SAID.. here let me quote for you..

    I think that they shouldn't have done it...
    If you and the other poster werent to busy patting each other on the back, you could take the time to read the entire posts, it wasn't even that long. Education will stop more pregnancies then just throwing money/pills/condoms at it. Those + education are the way to go, not just one thing.



    --edit---

    Im not even going to bother having a discussion here, from what I am reading from most of the posters is that if your not on the bandwagon with the group, your wrong, no matter what, and your arguments will be taken out of context, or find some way to make you out to be the bad guys, have fun in your circle jerks, im out.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post
    where the hell did I say I wanted them to deny it? are you picking just one side of the argument? what about defending the people who thought it was a good idea, when I say they need to learn too? or the fact that I was against them cutting the costs, I dont know the FIRST WORDS I SAID.. here let me quote for you..
    If you and the other poster werent to busy patting each other on the back, you could take the time to read the entire posts, it wasn't even that long. Education will stop more pregnancies then just throwing money/pills/condoms at it. Those + education are the way to go, not just one thing.
    You stated the following:

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post
    sounds like more education for both sides is in order here.
    What, exactly, do people that are in favor of contraception access have to learn on this topic?

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/07/us...ce=twitter&ad&


    Well done Texas, you've figured out that not every cost is avoidable!
    Sorry. I didn't realize it was the job of responsible taxpayers in Texas to pay for birth-control so the irresponsible (non)tax-payers can keep on riding the hand-out train.

    Here is a unique and brain-shattering idea. If you're so damn poor you can't even afford a box of condoms, don't practice unsafe sex. Just don't.

  10. #30
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    Sorry. I didn't realize it was the job of responsible taxpayers in Texas to pay for birth-control so the irresponsible (non)tax-payers can keep on riding the hand-out train.

    Here is a unique and brain-shattering idea. If you're so damn poor you can't even afford a box of condoms, don't practice unsafe sex. Just don't.
    Yelling at the leaky gas tank is much less effective than patching it up.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    Sorry. I didn't realize it was the job of responsible taxpayers in Texas to pay for birth-control so the irresponsible (non)tax-payers can keep on riding the hand-out train.

    Here is a unique and brain-shattering idea. If you're so damn poor you can't even afford a box of condoms, don't practice unsafe sex. Just don't.
    Meanwhile the rest of us will push for legislation that works in the real world. Cutting PP funding cost Texas money and all the rhetorical, patronizing and frankly, stupid, "arguments" doesn't change that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yelling at the leaky gas tank is much less effective than patching it up.
    I am going to have to use this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meanwhile the rest of us will push for legislation that works in the real world. Cutting PP funding cost Texas money and all the rhetorical, patronizing and frankly, stupid, "arguments" doesn't change that.



    I am going to have to use this.
    Why don't you work on solving the multi-trillion dollar deficit before running off to spend more money?

    Liberals don't want funding to PP cut.
    Elderly don't want Medicare or SS changed.
    Republicans don't want military funding cut.
    But everyone claims they want the deficit cut and the budget balanced...all while demanding that more money be spent.

    Maybe in your "real world" people don't have to worry about budgets and deficits. But in my world the money is limited and I'm tired of borrowing from China.

    EDIT:
    I should thank you. All you've done with your argument is say the following: It IS the job of responsible tax-payers to clean-up or prevent the mistakes of irresponsible, (non)tax-payers, who lack the basic's of self-control.

    And don't even present the "medical care" argument. Virtually every metro area has multiple free clinics that are more than capable of providing the same medical care (screenings and the such) that PP provides. The only thing PP provides that can't be located at these clinics is providing birth-control (and I'm not sure about that) and abortions.

    An additional argument could be made that if women don't want Government impeding on their "reproductive rights" (and most don't) then why is it the Governments responsibility to assist them with birth control? Either they do want the Government involved or they don't. It's sort of like telling your boss that you don't won't do what he wants, then demanding that he pay you for it.
    Last edited by Twotonsteak; 2012-12-08 at 05:52 AM.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    Why don't you work on solving the multi-trillion dollar deficit before running off to spend more money?
    Please, go ahead and RTFA.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkacid View Post
    Abortion is always immoral except when it comes down to the life of the mother and the life of baby where it becomes shaky.
    You need to prove that. At present that's just your baseless opinion.

  15. #35
    Those born babies shouldn't be paid for by taxpayers to begin with, so this is just an ineffective solution to a legit problem.

  16. #36
    Why don't you work on solving the multi-trillion dollar deficit before running off to spend more money?
    Right, so fund PP and save money on welfare.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 05:49 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    Those born babies shouldn't be paid for by taxpayers to begin with, so this is just an ineffective solution to a legit problem.
    Ok so cut medicaid. You now have more sick poor people who are sick for longer. Which means they're not as productive. Which means businesses suffer. People make less money. More crime. Which causes more economic disruption.

    Wow it almost seems like sticking our heads in the sand doesn't make problems go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  17. #37
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    17,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    XKCD comes to mind? I'm so sorry.
    What's wrong with xkcd?
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  18. #38
    The Lightbringer DEATHETERNAL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA, more fascist every day
    Posts
    3,413
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    You need to prove that. At present that's just your baseless opinion.
    Lol @ asking for proof of a statement of morality.

    On topic, crying that it creates other spending elsewere is only true because we have such a ridiculous welfare state. The solution isn't to but nothing, it is to cut far far more at multiple government levels (the only way we can possibly get our defecit unde control).
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Ok so cut medicaid. You now have more sick poor people who are sick for longer. Which means they're not as productive.
    Right, because we're talking mostly about people with jobs here. And even if we were, there's plenty of unemployed ready to take their place.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    Lol @ asking for proof of a statement of morality.
    Fine, reasoning. You don't get to simply assert something is immoral and pretend that's should be an universal opinion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •