Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    If people want to own pit bulls... go for it. I however, can't imagine a situation where I would prefer a pit over say a:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfoundland_%28dog%29

But to each their own.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

There has to be some side of the story we're not seeing here. Because otherwise, that is a complete load of bullshit that should not be allowed to happen. If anyone came to try and take my dogs away, I can 100% guarantee you there would be a fight involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Actually a lot of deaths don't happen by pitbulls, they are rather reported as such. Pitbulls raised properly are very very good dogs. Keep in mind any dog raised properly is a great dog.

I remember I went through a list of EVERY killing done by a dog. Most of them were done by dogs reported as pitbulls. When I decided to go and search for the actual story for more details, often times they were done by dogs similar to, but not, pitbulls. Some were even great danes, and there were a few cases of pinchers being classed as pits.

Out of the killings done, most were the fault of the owner, such as leaving their child with the dogs alone, and this was for all breeds.

The number 1 cause of death by dogs is a bad owner, not a bad dog.
    Though I 100% agree with this, and that every dog can be a bad dog depending on its upbringing, the unfortunate truth is that certain types of dogs will attract certain types of owners - at least here: much like grandmothers typically will prefer a small cuddly dog over a great dane. And those certain types of owners will give their dogs a certain type of upbringing, which could potentially make those dogs dangerous. These certain type of owners won't be going for labs or schnauzers, they'll typically have pits, or any other dog that society classifies as "tough", or "cool".

And that's the sad part, dogs as a status symbol like that - it's still owners who should be getting brought in, not the dogs. I don't fear dogs, but if I see a pit, or a dobermann, or even a rottweiler, most of the time I won't ask if I can pet them, because most of the time, their owners don't look like very nice people too in the way they behave or talk.

Deleted
    99% of the Pitbulls that do something wrong, is because of the fault of humans. From the day they are being removed from their mother, they have been tought by us. Pitbulls are underestimated dogs, you see so many lovely Pitbulls, just because they bark at you doesn't mean they are going to attack you. My Chihuahua is very territorial and would bark at ya, but they aren't being a threat because they are small. Pitbulls have a bad name because in media there have been some cases of Pitbulls biting and killing people, but is that their fault or the fault of the human that raised them?

Because a dog bites doesn't mean he is in wrong, the people prob did something that triggered a self defence mechanic. My other dog has that, he is the nicest dog that I know, but if you come down from stairs and want to pet him, he will bite you because he doesn't like things moving at him from above. People should note that most cases are the fault of the humans that own them, it's not the dogs fault. If you put those dogs in with someone else, and get rehabilitated you will see a huge difference.

I do not agree with them removing the pets from their owner if there is no case of aggression. I would say let them test to see if they can handle their dogs and then decide if they can keep it. Also when selling Pitbulls have them go to school or have them be trained when they are puppies before you sell them.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aalyy View Post
    Just curious what you mean by this? Why would a city have "check in" on pit bull owners?
    Mostly it's a way for the city to make money by handing out fines for people who are slow on renewing licenses, getting shots, insurance, etc for their dogs. Specifically pit bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Mostly it's a way for the city to make money by handing out fines for people who are slow on renewing licenses, getting shots, insurance, etc for their dogs. Specifically pit bulls.
    Ah I see. Although specifically targeting and punishing pit bull owners is highly unethical and I would have a huge problem if it were done to me. All dogs should be licensed regardless of breed and requiring insurance for certain breeds is wrong!

Luckily I live in California and for all it's stupid restrictions on owning animals Breed Specific Legislation is illegal. Probably because everyone and their grandmother (including my 80+ year old aunt) owns pit bulls out here so every time a politician tries to showboat on the backs of our dogs we raise holy hell!