10+ Year Old Account

Is there a site...

...where I can enter in the hardware (cpu, mobo, gpu, etc.) I'm looking to buy and see roughly what my fps would be would the various graphical settings of WoW? Kind of like theorycrafting for people in the market for new gear? If such a thing exists, where can I access it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    ...where I can enter in the hardware (cpu, mobo, gpu, etc.) I'm looking to buy and see roughly what my fps would be would the various graphical settings of WoW? Kind of like theorycrafting for people in the market for new gear? If such a thing exists, where can I access it?
    Closest you will get to that is reading benchmarks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Closest you will get to that is reading benchmarks.
    I'm afraid so...the problem I have is that the processors they use in those benchmarks are always overclocked i7's so it's not really realistic. I'm looking into getting an FX-6300 with a Radeon HD 7770 (please don't tell me to get an intel or nvidia card, I've already been chastized and yelled at multiple times over the course of shopping for my new system about that, this is the one I want in my price range and that's that, I'm decided on it) and I can't really find any benchmarks that use those specs so I'm not sure what to expect.

I found a "Can I Run It" tool at GameDebate that said I was waaaaaaaay above and beyond the system requirements, but it didn't go into any specifics about fps or detail levels.

If you buy a computer today and don't get the cheapest shit you can find, you'll basically run wow at more fps on ultra than you can even see. Seriously, it's like the least graphics intense game ever
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm afraid so...the problem I have is that the processors they use in those benchmarks are always overclocked i7's so it's not really realistic. I'm looking into getting an FX-6300 with a Radeon HD 7770 (please don't tell me to get an intel or nvidia card, I've already been chastized and yelled at multiple times over the course of shopping for my new system about that, this is the one I want in my price range and that's that, I'm decided on it) and I can't really find any benchmarks that use those specs so I'm not sure what to expect.

I found a "Can I Run It" tool at GameDebate that said I was waaaaaaaay above and beyond the system requirements, but it didn't go into any specifics about fps or detail levels.
    You are way above the system requirements, expect like 200 fps idle in org or something and a decent 20 fps in ultra 25man for 1920x1080.

Get an intel cpu, its just better. AMD is good for server cpus and graphics cards, not desktop cpus.

i7 doesn't have any real benefit for games over i5s, hyper threading is mostly for video rendering and code compiling.

I have Phenom II X4 980 and Radeon HD 6850, i run 60 FPS with everything on ultra in WoW easily if that helps you at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeff View Post
    If you buy a computer today and don't get the cheapest shit you can find, you'll basically run wow at more fps on ultra than you can even see. Seriously, it's like the least graphics intense game ever
    Not really. Most of the benchmarks I'm seeing have much lower fps on WoW compared to other games like Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Crysis 2, or D3. I think it's because those are largely single player games that don't involve things like LFR or Stormwind where FPS can plummet if there's a lot of other people. WoW isn't like it was in the past...My current Macbook is pretty good and only a couple years old and I can't run Mists at any playable framerate, even on lowest settings.

I'd wager that if you want ultra settings in a 25-player raid you're going to need a better system than you would for probably any other comparable title out there right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    the problem is that nobody benchmarks WoW properly, reviewers simply don't have the time to run 25 man raids and give a proper benchmark

the benchmarks that you do see are typically taxi rides in an open area with little cpu load

it's possible for someone to do it, but they would need about $500k in capitol to get all the hardware, a website, hire qualified staff etc

thats a lot for just wow, but i suppose it could be done for all games, it would just be very time consuming, imagine having to redo all of your nvidia benchmarks on every major title and for every CPU every time a new WHQL drive is released

cpu count * gpu count * games * game settings = a lot of work needing qualified staff (who aren't cheap)

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. Most of the benchmarks I'm seeing have much lower fps on WoW compared to other games like Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Crysis 2, or D3. I think it's because those are largely single player games that don't involve things like LFR or Stormwind where FPS can plummet if there's a lot of other people. WoW isn't like it was in the past...My current Macbook is pretty good and only a couple years old and I can't run Mists at any playable framerate, even on lowest settings.

I'd wager that if you want ultra settings in a 25-player raid you're going to need a better system than you would for probably any other comparable title out there right now.
    Because wow doesn't give a shit about your graphics card, get a real intel cpu.

10+ Year Old Account
    get a real intel cpu.
    as opposed to a fake one?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    You mean you haven't heard of Intal? Just kidding

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    Well the 2500k is dirt cheap now and its very capable cpu and arguably still better than the new 3570k because of the heat distribution problem. No real reason not to buy one really, other than your motherboard might not support lga1155

10+ Year Old Account
    Because wow doesn't give a shit about your graphics card, get a real intel cpu.
    I keep hearing conflicting reports about that. People say WoW is all about gpu, then another site says it's all cpu, then someone else says it's all about your resolution and ram, then somebody else says it's about the speed of your hard drive, then somebody else says it all depends on your gpu again...If it were all about cpu then I think my Macbook would do a much better job, as I easily surpass the recommended settings in that department, but get horrid fps even in zones as dead as Desolace with everything on low.

10+ Year Old Account
    I keep hearing conflicting reports about that. People say WoW is all about gpu, then another site says it's all cpu, then someone else says it's all about your resolution and ram, then somebody else says it's about the speed of your hard drive, then somebody else says it all depends on your gpu again...If it were all about cpu then I think my Macbook would do a much better job, as I easily surpass the recommended settings in that department, but get horrid fps even in zones as dead as Desolace.
    Yeah don't listen to those people at the very least.

Well it is a laptop so maybe you aren't getting proper cooling? Go download realtemp and see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah don't listen to those people at the very least.

Well it is a laptop so maybe you aren't getting proper cooling? Go download realtemp and see.
    I think that has something to do with it, actually. I have a program called smcfancontrol that monitors the speed of my fans and the temp of my core and most of the time it's between 70-83 celsius when playing WoW (right now just with light web hopping I'm at 51, but Macbooks were notorious for their heat issues). Trouble is, you can't change/screw with any hardware on a mac (although this program allows you to bypass the factory limits on the rpm's of your fans and push them up to around 7000rpm, which doesn't seem to help much), so the only option I have is to buy a new system which brings me back to my original post

---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 01:07 AM ----------

Well the 2500k is dirt cheap now and its very capable cpu and arguably still better than the new 3570k because of the heat distribution problem. No real reason not to buy one really, other than your motherboard might not support lga1155
    Actually I just ran the numbers through cyberpowerpc again and it looks like I can get that same setup except with a i5 3570 (not overclocked) for even cheaper than with the fx-6300. The problem I was having before with the i5 coming out a hundred or so more was that I was substituting the GTX 650 Ti which is a much more expensive card than the AMD HD 7770. So it's actually better for me to go with the i5 now, so I think I will. My friend told me that the i7 is more for multitasking anyway and I'd get better gaming performance out of the i5.

I mean, you'd get better performance from the i7 no matter what you do. If it's just for gaming, the i5 already exceeds what you would need.

Game debate is my best answer.
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-12-08 at 06:04 AM.

I keep hearing conflicting reports about that. People say WoW is all about gpu, then another site says it's all cpu, then someone else says it's all about your resolution and ram, then somebody else says it's about the speed of your hard drive, then somebody else says it all depends on your gpu again...If it were all about cpu then I think my Macbook would do a much better job, as I easily surpass the recommended settings in that department, but get horrid fps even in zones as dead as Desolace with everything on low.
    WoW is CPU intensive, however resolution can play a pretty big part in it. It's why when someone like the guy from before says he's getting 60fps on ultra we say he's probably running 800x600.