Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

New Jersey man sitting in debtor's prison for not paying alimony.

Specifically he's in prison for not paying alimony that exceeds his income.

Specifically, this guy was ordered to pay $104,000/year in alimony with an additional $3300/month in child support.

This all sits on top of $100,000 in legal fees incurred by the divorce process.

One extraordinary (but valid) case on why alimony needs to be eliminated. People should not be paid for doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    One extraordinary (but valid) case on why alimony needs to be eliminated. People should not be paid for doing nothing.
    I'm not sure it needs to be ELIMINATED. Spouses who stay home to raise kids make valuable sacrifices. Permanent alimony, however, is complete nightmare fuel in its own right. It encourages the payee to simply sit on their ass and collect checks. If they find a new partner they simply move in and enjoy all the benefits of cohabitation without losing their alimony payment.

Alimony needs to be limited. I'd say to 5 years, tops. That will allow the recipient to rehabilitate themselves into the workforce.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alimony is bullshit. She should have to blow him every time he hands over a check

Quote Originally Posted by zerocoolhack View Post
    Alimony is bullshit. She should have to blow him every time he hands over a check
    Well I'm glad we got to the horrible sexist nonsense on the first page.

Men dumb enough to get married deserve everything they get.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    A guy gets sentenced to pay $104,000/yr in alimony and another $3300/month in child support and someone saying she should do something to earn the alimony check is the sexist one?

Alimony and child support are both completely ridiculous. One of many reasons I will never get married or have children. I refuse to be screwed over by an idiotic system that will always favor my ex.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Alimony and child support are both completely ridiculous.
    Yeah it's not like the average child support payments only cover less than half the cost of actually raising a child (for that income bracket).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    How is anything in what I posted sexist?

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Yeah it's not like the average child support payments only cover less than half the cost of actually raising a child (for that income bracket).
    If every single parent having to pay child support was just refusing to have a part in their child's life, I might agree with you. But everyone I know who's paying wants their kids, spends as much time with them as allowed, and spends a lot on them anyway. That's crap.

Deleted
    Alimony and child support are both completely ridiculous. One of many reasons I will never get married or have children. I refuse to be screwed over by an idiotic system that will always favor my ex.
    You could always.... You know.... Stay together? Like couples did for... Well.... Years?

If every single parent having to pay child support was just refusing to have a part in their child's life, I might agree with you. But everyone I know who's paying wants their kids, spends as much time with them as allowed, and spends a lot on them anyway. That's crap.
    That's a problem with custody, not a problem with child support itself.

It's also worth noting that the vast majority of cases do not go to court, and only a minority of those actually finishes the legal process. Parents coming to terms on their own is not something the courts can do much about. The fact that the public has a misguided perception of legal bias against the father in courts doesn't help. But that's why it's also important to start dispelling myths about the court. Judges are not as biased as people like to think they are, and the legal system has been adopting a legal presumption of equal custody since three decades ago.

I'd honestly love to see a study to see how much of that money actually gets spent on the child and not on the woman herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    You could always.... You know.... Stay together? Like couples did for... Well.... Years?
    Yeah because everybody knows couples don't separate/divorce pre-20th century.

Man lost his job because he couldn't afford the payments....

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    People today have little to no sense of loyalty anymore.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Alimony and child support are both completely ridiculous. One of many reasons I will never get married or have children.
    I am pretty sure I am not the only one happy by your decision not to have children
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Quote Originally Posted by Lassira View Post
    I'd honestly love to see a study to see how much of that money actually gets spent on the child and not on the woman herself.
    I would too, but seriously. The logical inference from "on average it costs couples $700 a month to raise a child" and "this mother gets paid $300 a month in child support" is not that the woman must be spending (some or all of) it on herself.

That's a problem with custody, not a problem with child support itself.

It's also worth noting that the vast majority of cases do not go to court, and only a minority of those actually finishes the legal process. Parents coming to terms on their own is not something the courts can do much about. The fact that the public has a misguided perception of legal bias against the father in courts doesn't help. But that's why it's also important to start dispelling myths about the court. Judges are not as biased as people like to think they are, and the legal system has been adopting a legal presumption of equal custody since three decades ago.
    It doesn't matter what people come up with outside of courts.

The fact that, when it reaches the courts, the judges have such leeway to pull this shit is beyond reproach.

No one should ever have to pay $100,000+ in alimony to an ex spouse. Alimony is supposed to assist your transition back to the workforce. Not be a permanent meal ticket.