1. #1

    Do paladins get hit hard normally ?

    I was healing a prot pally in a heroic and he was soaking up all my mana. As far as i could see he was doing the normal rotation like using WoG and sacred shield but still gets hit like a truck. I checked out his gear and he was in dungeon blues 410-450s so he wasn't that bad at gear but i haven't healed a paladin yet since mop and was curious if this is normal.

  2. #2
    Fluffy Kitten Fhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Carnished Toast
    Posts
    3,219
    He should not be using WoG in his 'normal rotation'. WoG is a rather substantial heal that should be reserved for emergencies. If a paladin is getting hit hard, it likely means they are not shield slamming as often as they should. Most likely too that they are not hit and expertise capped, which is important for shield slamming.

    Paladin and D3 Moderator | MMO-C Guidelines | Signature and avatar art by Dancing Hare

  3. #3
    Mechagnome Akarui's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The middle of nowhere
    Posts
    709
    From what i played on mine i was taking far too much damage (at least in comparison to cata) so I switched to DK.
    I'm not sure if it's got anything to do with gear scaling since i only got full hc blues and quit :P

    From my personal experience yes they do, also might be since most mitigation relies on using shield of the righteous for the 3 second buff, which is annoying to keep up, its a powerfull buff but it seems more skill based than blood shield to use it effectively, since spamming it will likely end up in having the buff when the boss isn't hitting.
    I'm no expert on paladin tanking in mop, so no clue after that possibility.
    Last edited by Akarui; 2012-12-08 at 07:39 AM.
    “4chan once took on the FBI and won,” a Brony told the New York Observer, “so you might say that My Little Pony is more powerful than the FBI.” Sethisto

  4. #4
    Pit Lord Mifuyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Gardens of Gensokyo
    Posts
    2,381
    From a healer point of view that uses a paladin tank in raids;
    Yes, they do take slightly more damage then the other classes (imo).
    However they are pulling out insane dps numbers together with having alot of utility tools (hands) and incredible healing.
    On later gear levels I think the damage taken will be less due to massive amounts of mastery.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...fuyne/advanced
    http://www.twitch.tv/mifuyne , livestreaming LoL/WoW/Skyrim/BF4
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    "police! These people have anime avatars on a forum and theyre discussing laws!"

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    He should not be using WoG in his 'normal rotation'. WoG is a rather substantial heal that should be reserved for emergencies. If a paladin is getting hit hard, it likely means they are not shield slamming as often as they should. Most likely too that they are not hit and expertise capped, which is important for shield slamming.
    Well every pull was an emergency really, his health just kept dipping down.

  6. #6
    Field Marshal jmac28083's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    52
    I think what you experienced is a paladin that isn't getting enough shield of the righteous uptime. The buff is applied by using shield of the righteous instead of word of glory which gives them a certain amount of physical damage reduction based on how much mastery they have. Getting the highest amount of uptime on this buff should be a goal of every protection paladin. Some don't seem to realize that and their damage mitigation suffers because of it. In my experience a protection paladin mitigates just as much damage as any other tank.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    From a healer point of view that uses a paladin tank in raids;
    Yes, they do take slightly more damage then the other classes (imo).
    However they are pulling out insane dps numbers together with having alot of utility tools (hands) and incredible healing.
    On later gear levels I think the damage taken will be less due to massive amounts of mastery.
    Paladins probably take less damage than any other tank spec right now.
    They are not doing more dps than other tanks.
    On later gear levels you'll see most prot palas choose haste over mastery.

  8. #8
    Was he using Seal of Insight and Sacred Shield? Those two add up to a lot of work saved for the healer. At the end of the dungeon I'm often higher than the healer on healing done.

    Also, gear makes quite a difference of course, a tank with ilvl <450 is just going to take a lot of damage period. But he also might not have been using Shield of the Righteous properly. Prot paladins generally should not be casting WoG on themselves very often, at least not in dungeons - every WoG you cast is damage you're not preventing via SotR. And SotR provides a stacking buff that improves WoG for when you actually do need it.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteoric View Post
    Was he using Seal of Insight and Sacred Shield? Those two add up to a lot of work saved for the healer. At the end of the dungeon I'm often higher than the healer on healing done.

    Also, gear makes quite a difference of course, a tank with ilvl <450 is just going to take a lot of damage period. But he also might not have been using Shield of the Righteous properly. Prot paladins generally should not be casting WoG on themselves very often, at least not in dungeons - every WoG you cast is damage you're not preventing via SotR. And SotR provides a stacking buff that improves WoG for when you actually do need it.
    Right i see. I never saw any shield of the righteous going off.

  10. #10
    got told "paladins are very squishy and worst tank" since pally was my first main i didnt like BS being spoke so i'm playing one atm, on Stone guards hc i tank 2, dk tanks 1, i do take more damage, but its very little,;
    -me 22.2m
    -dk 20.8m
    that's our last kill or something similar, since i'm tanking two i expected to take more dmg, but a lot more than that lol. When starting heroic dungeons i did feel squishy, but with gear and experience to pally again it became easy, now i'm rapid pulling as a pally, out healing the healer and coming top dps (trash packs)

  11. #11
    You can't just look at damage taken. The main thing that makes prot palas strong right now is that the damage they take is very consistent and less spiky. A DK will drop to let's say 20-30% many times where palas will just drop to 50-60% and the healing needed in those situations doesn't require your healers spamming theirselves OOM with big/fast heals when knowing that there's a risk the DK will die on next normal swing from the boss.

  12. #12
    I do not believe prot palas is worse than the other tanks. BUT I see how many that doesn't play prot pala themselves may think that. You see Protadins (just like brewmaster monks) need to time their use of spells and cooldowns a lot better than in cata. Take Shield of the righteous for example. On my paladin I get 49% dmg reduction for 3s (and I'm not even going for mastery!).

    So it's pretty simple.
    not very good prot pala - bad timing with SotR or not using it at all.
    better pala - timing the SotR for big hits/spells.

  13. #13
    Pandaren Monk Spacebubble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sylvanas EU - Denmark
    Posts
    1,954
    a little bit, but that's why we have so much self healing. for instance the few times I've been doing heroics since raids came out I've been going without a healer to make it faster, that's how much healing prot paladins do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •