Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    $500 computer to run low settings @ 30 fps in 10 man raids.

    I'm looking to get a new computer as I'm currently using a 3.0Ghz single core processor to raid in 10 man, usually sit at like 6 fps and can go lower depending.

    Will $500 get me a computer that can run at least 30 fps in 10 man with all low settings and if so can someone build it here?

  2. #2
    bwahhahahaha 6 fps in 10 mans? and your settings on low? omfg! is your current computer your toaster as well?

    * User was infracted
    Last edited by tetrisGOAT; 2012-12-10 at 08:52 AM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by lukerocks View Post
    bwahhahahaha 6 fps in 10 mans? and your settings on low? omfg! is your current computer your toaster as well?
    rofl lel lmao xd ha lel good trole mate

    * User was infracted - Please report instead of stooping to spam
    Last edited by tetrisGOAT; 2012-12-10 at 08:52 AM.

  4. #4
    Mechagnome beardedcandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    kalamazoo michigan
    Posts
    729
    for 500 you can get high settings on current games. if you know what to look for, you could actually get a very good performer

  5. #5
    Use a website which builds computers for you. I assume since you added your processor to your post you have some knowledge on what you need. Spend a day researching, learn a bit about what makes WoW run smooth, and then you'll never need to ask for help again.

    Tip: WoW can run on some seriously shit computers and still obtain good FPS, especially in a 10m.
    Last edited by tetrisGOAT; 2012-12-10 at 08:53 AM.

  6. #6
    My brother just picked up a pc that is able to perform well for under that amount from best buy, you could probably get one that could do it on high after new years especially if you build it yourself.

  7. #7
    Mechagnome mypally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    C eh N eh D eh
    Posts
    537
    6fps is great compared to what my laptop 5 years ago ran. Would be at 1fps for some raids in BC. Anyway, what is your current computer like besides processor speed? What is your ram and video card looking like? Those are the biggest 2 factors in running wow. If you have a computer you can upgrade (has a slot you can throw a video card and ram into), then I would suggest upgrading those 2 things. You could probably get high enough quality to run wow on ultra for 500$ instead of getting a new meh computer.

    Of course, this is moot if you have a computer that cant take upgrades..
    Einstien trolled Newton so hard with general relativity

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mypally View Post
    6fps is great compared to what my laptop 5 years ago ran. Would be at 1fps for some raids in BC. Anyway, what is your current computer like besides processor speed? What is your ram and video card looking like? Those are the biggest 2 factors in running wow. If you have a computer you can upgrade (has a slot you can throw a video card and ram into), then I would suggest upgrading those 2 things. You could probably get high enough quality to run wow on ultra for 500$ instead of getting a new meh computer.

    Of course, this is moot if you have a computer that cant take upgrades..
    4 gigs ram onboard amd hd 3xxx the computer won't take any upgrades, I got it from walmart four or so years ago.

  9. #9
    What is your ram and video card looking like? Those are the biggest 2 factors in running wow
    I'm pretty sure WoW is by far more processor dependent than any of the two. Ram also doesn't really do anything to help in-game performance either.

    Your processor being a single core is pretty harsh, I'd suggest processor is the most important, followed by a mediocre gfx, then if for some reason you have less than 4gb of ram, focus on that last.

    Power supply > Processor > gfx > ram, seems to be a good priority for playing wow at good fps.
    Last edited by T18Z; 2012-12-08 at 08:07 AM.

  10. #10
    Mechagnome mypally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    C eh N eh D eh
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by T18Z View Post
    I'm pretty sure WoW is by far more processor dependent than any of the two. Ram also doesn't really do anything to help in-game performance either.

    Your processor being a single core is pretty harsh, I'd suggest processor is the most important, followed by a mediocre gfx, then if for some reason you have less than 4gb of ram, focus on that last.

    Power supply > Processor > gfx > ram, seems to be a good priority for playing wow at good fps.
    Ram is a limiting factor if he had 1gb. You need to have about 2gb of ram for it to not affect gameplay. And video card is the single biggest factor in running wow. The fact that they didnt introduce a dual core ability should speak a bit to the un-importance of processor power. In terms of running at a good framerate and decent setting, video card is the biggest thing. Power supply is only a deal if his components are using more power then the supply is taking. This is only an issue if you build you own computer and dont plan for it.

    Anyway, since you cant upgrade your computer, I would look for a desktop with a decent video card. Every computer will have a decent processor, and more then enough ram, so really its the only thing you need to look for.
    Einstien trolled Newton so hard with general relativity

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by mypally View Post
    Ram is a limiting factor if he had 1gb. You need to have about 2gb of ram for it to not affect gameplay. And video card is the single biggest factor in running wow. The fact that they didnt introduce a dual core ability should speak a bit to the un-importance of processor power. In terms of running at a good framerate and decent setting, video card is the biggest thing. Power supply is only a deal if his components are using more power then the supply is taking. This is only an issue if you build you own computer and dont plan for it.

    Anyway, since you cant upgrade your computer, I would look for a desktop with a decent video card. Every computer will have a decent processor, and more then enough ram, so really its the only thing you need to look for.
    Video card is not at all the biggest factor in WoW, it's a CPU intensive game.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 08:46 AM ----------

    This is what I came up with, what should I change? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rslL

  12. #12
    Mechagnome mypally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    C eh N eh D eh
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by Coar View Post
    Video card is not at all the biggest factor in WoW, it's a CPU intensive game.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 08:46 AM ----------

    This is what I came up with, what should I change? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rslL
    ya, not buying that. The min req's have it on a 2ghz dual core pos (cant even find it on newegg), and the recomended is only about a 3ghz dual core. I could very well be underestimating the crappyness of a single core, but just make sure you dont waste money on anything above a duo core, as wow (and decent number of games) dont go past 2 cores. So while a bad processor would hold back wow, I'm not really sure you are going to see one in the 500$ price range.

    As for video card, the average pre made desktop is going to have an integrated video card, which is inferior to a regular video card. A great deal of the graphics is done by the video card, and while this workload is definitely higher at higher settings, it is still important at low settings, and a bad video card can hold you back.

    edit: just saw the build you linked. It's getting late here, so I'll check in on this thread in the morning. If someone hasnt helped you by then (doubtful, mmo champ is pretty good like that), then I'll say what I can about that. My 10 second observations on it, the core doesnt need to be quad, though basically every processor is quad or higher now, so dont really worry. And make sure the power supply is enough for everything. Anyway, good luck
    Last edited by mypally; 2012-12-08 at 09:05 AM.
    Einstien trolled Newton so hard with general relativity

  13. #13
    This is what I came up with, what should I change? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rslL
    Looks fine.

    ya, not buying that. The min req's have it on a 2ghz dual core pos (cant even find it on newegg), and the recomended is only about a 3ghz dual core. I could very well be underestimating the crappyness of a single core, but just make sure you dont waste money on anything above a duo core, as wow (and decent number of games) dont go past 2 cores. So while a bad processor would hold back wow, I'm not really sure you are going to see one in the 500$ price range.

    As for video card, the average pre made desktop is going to have an integrated video card, which is inferior to a regular video card. A great deal of the graphics is done by the video card, and while this workload is definitely higher at higher settings, it is still important at low settings, and a bad video card can hold you back.
    The minimum requirements aren't even worth speaking about. Anyways the fact of the matter is you'll get more bang for your buck by getting a better processor when it comes to WoW. It's a CPU focused game, the only thing that a great graphics card will help with is stupid shadow effects and sunbeams, the shit nobody cares about.

    Back on topic, your setup will run WoW at 30 fps at low settings in 10m I'm sure.
    Last edited by T18Z; 2012-12-08 at 09:30 AM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Coar View Post
    Video card is not at all the biggest factor in WoW, it's a CPU intensive game.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 08:46 AM ----------

    This is what I came up with, what should I change? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rslL
    I would change the CPU to an i3-3220, the GPU to a GTX 650ti, scrap the CPU cooler and go for 8GB of RAM.

  15. #15
    Herald of the Titans Azortharion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,658
    Save yourself the money on GPU, and get a 560 Ti, runs WoW just fine on all Ultra for me. (If it's cheaper than 650 Ti, that is).

    And get the best, fastest quad-core you can get. (2500k is a beast, though a little expensive for a budget build like yours).

    8 GB of RAM will help you out a lot so find some good stuff (Kingston, Mushkin, Corsair, all good stuff), 1666 MHz unles 1333 MHz is much cheaper.

    Azortharion#2528
    - Skype: azortharion - Stream - Hunter F.A.Q - YT - Hunter IRC - Twitter - AzorUI DL

  16. #16
    Brewmaster Majesticii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,413
    On-Topic: GTX460 is even enough still i rekon. Just get a proper I5 intel CPU. Doesn't really matter if it's 2nd or 3rd gen, but i guess 3rd gen is cheaper and more widely available at the moment.
    Last edited by tetrisGOAT; 2012-12-10 at 08:54 AM.

  17. #17
    The Lightbringer Ermahgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,589
    I'm using the nvidia geforce 550 (Ti) on my laptop and I'm running WoW at 40-50 FPS on good settings (SSAO disabled and shadows disabled) ON A 1920x1080 res monitor. Which really cuts down the performance for a laptop. Whenever I don't use my monitor I run at 60-80 FPS with ease while in Orgrimmar.

  18. #18
    Brewmaster Majesticii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,413
    I'd grab something like this:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rtFY

  19. #19
    Pandaren Monk Klutzington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'Murrica, of course.
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    I'd grab something like this:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rtFY
    I highly recommend your build, but OP, for the love of god, please drop the 7770 and go with this 7850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202004

    It is by a good manufacturer, and it's only $30 more.

    Look at this comparison if you're skeptical.

    http://www.hwcompare.com/12033/radeo...adeon-hd-7850/

  20. #20
    Brewmaster Majesticii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    I highly recommend your build, but OP, for the love of god, please drop the 7770 and go with this 7850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202004

    It is by a good manufacturer, and it's only $30 more.

    Look at this comparison if you're skeptical.

    http://www.hwcompare.com/12033/radeo...adeon-hd-7850/
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=549
    This is a little bit better for comparison

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •