Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Alright, lets get up and take a walk. Wops I fell and got seriously injured, now I'm in a wheel chair.

Merc out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hezo View Post
    Alright, lets get up and take a walk. Wops I fell and got seriously injured, now I'm in a wheel chair.

Merc out.
    Time to op out and upload a new you
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Have you heard about the dihydrogen monoxide stuff? http://dihmo.org

Deleted
    Yeah, breathing slowly kills you too and so does masturbating, oh and studies say that walking on your anus kills you too.

So basically sitting is good since you only loose 22 min even sitting 1 hour.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    What exactly doesn't knock time off your life?
    smiling, being happy (unless you used druggs to accomplice said happines), sex (apparently), vitamines (unless you overdo them), water (less then 5 liters a day tough)
    In short the only thing you can overdo without killing yourself is smiling (unless you smile at the wrong person at the wrong time)
    ∞=0
    0/2 = 0 , ∞/2 = ∞
    2/0 = error , 2/∞ = error
    0*2 = 0 , ∞*2 = ∞

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    http://gizmodo.com/5157354/boy-kille...chair-explodes

I don't want to sit at my computer now
    I see no shit or blood stains. I call fake, until my chair own explodes.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Nope every 22 seconds you have around 28 gone because of a few things.

1.In the time it takes you to notice a few sec done pass
    2.Lag will also make it skip ahead a little

Don't worry tho we are all in the matrix so they can just upload another copy of us if we die

"All of that was a joke for those who didn't notice"
    Science (higher hypotetical sience) says that we might be in a computer program and guess what, its slowly killing us!
    Just like breathing and heartbeats are doing!
    I might be happy when I'm dead so I can see what all the fuzz is about
    ∞=0
    0/2 = 0 , ∞/2 = ∞
    2/0 = error , 2/∞ = error
    0*2 = 0 , ∞*2 = ∞

Quote Originally Posted by RüneRS View Post
    Science (higher hypotetical sience) says that we might be in a computer program and guess what, its slowly killing us!
    Just like breathing and heartbeats are doing!
    I might be happy when I'm dead so I can see what all the fuzz is about
    Because with computer programs you get a virus everynow and then and that takes a few years off your life as well. with all this data we are getting and all the things we are doing to lower our life we should have died 2 days ago LOL
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Hezo View Post
    I see no shit or blood stains. I call fake, until my chair own explodes.
    http://ask-a-chinese-guy.blogspot.co...hairs-now.html

Better?

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure I can clog my arteries with cholesterol before sitting kills me.

I don't see this having any impact on my sitting habits. At all.

Fail.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/1...-out-dont-sit/

That article is just a guardian butchery of a NY Times blog about a study about how a sedentary lifestyle can mean living on average 4.8 years fewer than somebody who leads an active lifestyle.

Sitting has nothing to do with it. If you were to make up for the time spent sitting with extra physical activity elsewhere then it wouldn't matter.

But if you track back to the original article the guardian is basing their bullocks on, it specifically says the amount of time sitting in front of a television is TYPICALLY an indicator of how sedentary the individuals lifestyle is. It has nothing to do with sitting at an office (as long as you make up for it with exercise).

I repeat, the biomechanical action of sitting down is perfectly safe. Living a sedentary lifestyle can knock about 5 years off your life, is what the study actually showed. Standing up while playing Call of Duty 9001 all day is living a sedentary lifestyle.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2012-12-08 at 05:40 PM.

Deleted
    Does that mean people in a wheelchair have shorter lives? As they sit all day

gee wizz everything is bad for you, i guess we all might aswell give up now and save the hassle.

this is about as helpful as knowing that breathing through your nose your entire life could add some extra years to it.

i've also heard the opposite in that, being lazy extends your life at least i did read one of the oldest person alive say his secret was being lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Sitting for to long is very bad for you, that has been known for years. But, as long as you stretch, take breaks and exercice you'll be fine.

---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 12:19 PM ----------

Then why not keep yourself fit, so you won't be helpless or senile? Most people slow down in their older years, and that is what makes them slow, and helpless. Keeping yourself fit works wonders.
    Exactly this, but I find that statement about 22 minutes to be a bunch of crap to be honest,

Think about how many people sit and work 40 hours a week in a office, that dont have regular breaks,

40H x 22m = 880 minutes, Divide by 60 gives you just over 14 hours, (This is assuming my maths and how Im working it out is right...)

So thats 14 hours a week, you lose of your life sitting down if you have a "bad" work place,

Lets assume the bog standard work year, is 36 weeks, a figure straight off the top of my head, taking holiday, bank holidays, half terms, and times like x mas off the year,

so then we do 14 hours x 36 = thats 504 hours, divide that by 24 hours that make up a total day/night = 21 days,

So now we know if you work 40 hours a week and dont have regular breaks, which a lot of places dont, and work 36 weeks a year, according to the article you'd lose 21 days of your life

Now lets assume that person has been there for years, slowly moving up the ranks but still ultimately is behind a desk weather its on a computer or not, so shall we we 30 years is a avg figure?

So we do 30Y x 21D= 630 days,

365 days to a year, Standard year,

630 Divide by 365 = 1.7,

So if my maths is right, and it might not be, which feel free to point out btw, working 30 years in a company, at 40 hours a week, for 36 weeks a year, will cost you 1 year and 7 months of your life, and that why I doubt articles such as these,

Dont get me wrong I know its bad for people, I know the health problems that can follow, but I still think 22 minutes is a over estimated figure

Also I release it should of been 14.6 and I should of rounded it off to 15, but I was half way through this post
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Exactly this, but I find that statement about 22 minutes to be a bunch of crap to be honest,
    *SNIP*
    Basically the guardian page, as my post that nobody seems to be reading eludes to, links a NYtimes blog article about a study that was conducted (which nobody else read) that followed people, and found that people who watched an average of 6-8 hours of television a day lived 4.8 years shorter than those who did not watch any television at all. Which is where the mathematics of stupidity come into play. But the original article itself states that it is likely due to the fact that people who watch 6-8 hours of television a day live very sedentary lifestyles.

So it's the lack of exercise that's killing them, not the television, not the sitting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Fail.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/1...-out-dont-sit/

That article is just a guardian butchery of a NY Times blog about a study about how a sedentary lifestyle can mean living on average 4.8 years fewer than somebody who leads an active lifestyle.

Sitting has nothing to do with it. If you were to make up for the time spent sitting with extra physical activity elsewhere then it wouldn't matter.

But if you track back to the original article the guardian is basing their bullocks on, it specifically says the amount of time sitting in front of a television is TYPICALLY an indicator of how sedentary the individuals lifestyle is. It has nothing to do with sitting at an office (as long as you make up for it with exercise).

I repeat, the biomechanical action of sitting down is perfectly safe. Living a sedentary lifestyle can knock about 5 years off your life, is what the study actually showed. Standing up while playing Call of Duty 9001 all day is living a sedentary lifestyle.
    I get the feeling you did't get the point of the Guardian article, which was that it's easy to force a change in our lifestyle by changing our habitat. In this case, the journalist bought an ergonomic chair which turned out to be uncomfortable, leading him to move about every 40 mins or so, thus ensuring his lifestyle was not solely sedentary.

Read through the article and aside from the 2 anonymous studies that were mentioned, there's not much science let alone other evidence to backup the author's open opinion on the subject. That said, I do agree though that for sitting for too long can be detrimental for you. That's why you balance between sitting for long periods and standing up and moving around. If the author's words were to be taken word for word, then it's written as if sitting is all people do for all hours of the day. The spinal cord needs rest from time to time. The author transitions into a talk about habits and suddenly, the article becomes a topic that's been discussed to death a million times.

Nowadays, any and every self-proclaimed writer will write about anything to try to make the front page. Tomorrow, it'll be "excessive standing and movement causes arthritis."

What happens if I smoke a cigarette while sitting down watching TV.
    Combined with the amount of time stress reduces your lifespan by I should of already disrupted the space time continuum and died before I was ever conceived.

Either way I would be more than happy to die at the ripe old age of 40, When that heart attack happens I just hope I have enough sense at the time to run out into oncoming traffic as I am sure it will be less pain than dying slowly.

Would be even cooler however if i was given advance warning of my impending death, even if it was only a week from now, I would go out and enjoy myself to the fullest without fear of repercussions.
    Last edited by skrump; 2012-12-08 at 06:58 PM.